News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202, GV and Caller Id on destination phone calls

Started by kevmeist, October 18, 2012, 03:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevmeist

I use a cordless phone plugged into the SP1 socket on the Obi 202 and a GV number.

I talk to a friend frequently. He has a "feature" on his phone service (Frontier) called "call intercept". When I used a cable phone previously to call him, call intercept did not kick in at his end.

Using GV and the 202, when I call him, call intercept kicks in. The Frontier message states something like "the person you are calling uses call intercept and your number doesn't show on their caller id, state your name etc to see if the person accepts the call"...not the exact words but close enough.

So, what would show on his caller id (if anything) from an Obi called using a GV provided number?
Is there a setting somewhere I need to use to avoid this issue?

Nobody else that I have called so far gets this problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

jimates

unless you have your number blocked, your google voice number will show on his caller id. If it doesn't then it is something on his end, not yours.

I assume this is similar to google's call screening but either way, at some point someone had to enter trusted numbers that are not intercepted.

kevmeist

I believe that you are right and that it is at his end. I just wondered whether anyone else had seen this before.

Other people that I call this doesn't occur. Just the one person. I also wondered whether there might be a "work-around" in what number is presented to his phone company. Bear in mind that this only started happening when I started using the Obi 202.

When I had Verizon then Frontier phone service at home (as well as Time Warner cable phone) this did not happen.

K

jimates

there is no way to alter the caller id that is shown.

try this, place the call from your google voice page using click 2 call and see if still happens.

kevmeist

OK, that is a new one on me.....logon to GV and use it to place the call?

So, then I'm talking through the PC using it's audio?

K

jimates

the calls to your friend are in your history on google voice. Under one of them select the call link. In the drop down select Google Talk. Your phone connected to the Obi will ring, answer it and then google will call your friend.

kevmeist

jimates

when you initiated the call from google voice, google placed the call for you. There is nothing you can do to change what is happening.

As far as I know, when I call anyone only my google voice number shows up, nothing for a name. I read a post today where they said when they call using google voice their call shows up as "Unknown" for the name and then their number. Perhaps this is what is happening for you and it is the "Unknown" that is getting your calls intercepted.

can you confirm if there is anything received on the other end in the name field.

kevmeist

I don't think that he sees anything as call intercept is performed by Frontier (his phone company) and I have to announce who I am and the phone company asks him if he wants to accept the call. When hits "1" or whatever, the call is put through. This happens with one of his sons, But, nobody else.

I'll check with him.

K

Lavarock7

You would think that faster announcing who you are and the callee clicking to allow you through, that the system would register that calling number as approved for the future.

If they are looking at caller name and not number, or your number is not being passed properly, then I guess the system would ask every time.

It does sound like it is on his end.

If you used to call him via your home phone number and now have aObi with GoogleVoice that is placingt he call, then the callerID he is getting now is the GoogleVoice number and not your home number. He may need to enter your Googlevoice number in his system somehow.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

kevmeist

My friend tells me that on caller id it shows him 877-754-8280 and "Call Intercept" as the name. When one of his sons calls that gets this same problem, he is is coming in from a 703 area code. Another son calls in, also from the 703 area code, and does not get the call intercept.

I'll make sure that he has my GV number in his phone system...but I seem to recollect that he told me that he had.

BTW, my number is NOT approved for the future and does ask me EVERY time.

K

Lavarock7

Someone (in a google search) said the number belongs to Frontier.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

kevmeist

Yep, I saw that. He does have Frontier as his phone company. It's them that "intercepts" the call when I make it. The question is still why they don't recognize it as a "known number". Their message talks about the person that you are calling has call intercept which is used when the caller id is not known or something like that.

kevmeist

The person that I call has both my cell phone and the GV number programmed in his phone system. The issue is, I suppose, is what is Frontier receiving to "turn on" the call intercept feature. I have to believe that it is the GV number. Why they turn on call intercept is beyond me.

jimates

Quote from: kevmeist on October 19, 2012, 01:17:09 PM
The person that I call has both my cell phone and the GV number programmed in his phone system. The issue is, I suppose, is what is Frontier receiving to "turn on" the call intercept feature. I have to believe that it is the GV number. Why they turn on call intercept is beyond me.
Like I said, it is possible that Frontier is getting a "unknown" for the name (as pointed out by another poster with similar problem) when your call is received. The call may be intercepted by the "unknown" as the name and not by the actual number. Can he go into his Frontier call history and see the caller name.

kevmeist

Probably not as he got tired of this, called Frontier and told them to take the Call Intercept service off. Interestingly enough, he didn't know that he had this service on until his son called from his 703 area code cell phone. He just kinda wrote this off as something weird as it did not happen with anyone else UNTIL I bought the Obitalk and started using GV.  It wasn't until Frontier bought out Verizon in this service area that he even knew that he had CI...apparently, he didn't have this with his Verizon service.

Anyways, now it no longer happens when I call.