News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dialplan: Possible to enable both 7-digit and 10-digit dialing?

Started by Lynx, October 20, 2012, 12:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Is it possible to have local 7-digit dialing xxx-xxxx, 10-digit dialing (xxx)xxx-xxxx, and 11-digit dialing 1(xxx)xxx-xxxx all enabled at the same time? If so, can someone post a dialplan to do this?

Also, is S0 at the end of a string needed to have no delay like on the Linksys PAP2?

ianobi

Lynx,

Please be more specific. Which OBi do you have? What is your Primary Line? Which numbers need to route where - 7 digits to Line Port, 10 digits to Msp1, 11 digits to Msp2 etc?

S0 can be useful in OBi DigitMaps, but needs to be used with care. By putting S0 at the end of a 7 digit number you might make it impossible to get a 10 digit number to work.

Lynx

Hi ianobi,

It's an obi100. Just one Google Voice line. Just unsure how to craft the dialplan (and whether trying to enable both 7 and 10-digit dialing invariably introduces a delay?)

Here is obi's default for GV:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Aren't the first two redundant? If it matches the first rule, won't it automatically send without looking at the subsequent rules?

jimates

When you set up GV on the dashboard you had the option to enter an area code for 7 digit dialing. When you select that, Obitalk configures your digit maps for 7 digit dialing, 10 and 11 digit dialing works by default.

Go back to your dashboard and put the area code in the configuration wizard.

ianobi

Lynx.

Jimates is correct (and he knows a lot more about gv setup than me!)

This is what you need to end up with:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

If you dial:
Eleven digits starting with 1, then the call matches the first rule and is sent out on sp1.
Ten digits starting with 2-9, then the second rule will prepend a 1 and send the call out on sp1.
Seven digits, then the third rule will prepend a 1 and your local code and send the call out on sp1.

There is no difference in timings for the above three rules; each will be an exact match and be sent to line after a 2 second delay.

Lynx

Ahh ok. So it's the 2 second delay that is allowing for both 7-digit and 10-digit dialing.

If I want to forgo 10-digit dialing in favor of faster 7-digit dialing, would using S0 in the dial plan like this work so that there's no delay after dialing?

(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<011:**300>xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

mrjoe

If you put longer numbers before shorter ones there is no need for any S2/4 etc. as digit maps are read from left to right (as Ianobi told me) so short numbers will not interfere as the Obi reads the longer one first and connects.

Sounds complicated but it's not.  :)

ianobi

Let's take a step back here! I think I said that the Phone Port OutBoundCallRoute was processed rule by rule from left to right. The same might be true of DigitMaps, but I don't know that for sure. All I know about DigitMaps is that the best matched rule is used, maybe if two are equal, then the left to right rule may apply.

Back to the original question:

Short answer: This will work, i.e. no delays for eleven digit numbers starting with 1 or seven digit numbers starting with 2-9:

(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxxS0|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxxS0|<011:**300>xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

OBiNerd answer: If it's only for GV, then most of these codes are not needed. The aim here is to achieve an Exactly Matched (EM) rule with no other rules in the Indefinitely Matched (IM) state. As you dial each digit these rules: xx. and [^*]@@. will always be in the IM state. From the point of view of digits, they both mean any digit followed by any number of digits. When another rule such as 1xxxxxxxxxx is in an EM state, then there will still be the 2 second delay because of other rules in the IM state. (Assuming no S0 additions).

Consider this DigitMap for GV:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.)
The first two rules will send the called number out to GV with no delay as soon as an Exact Match is achieved as there are no rules in the IM state. (I know I have sacrificed ten digit dialling).

Alternatively:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.)
The first two rules will send the called number out to GV with no delay as soon as an Exact Match is achieved as there are no rules in the IM state. The third rule will have a 2 second delay as the second rule will be in the IM state after seven digits. Some would recommend putting S4 after the third rule in case people are dialling a ten digit number very slowly.

I can see no function for these rules in a GV DigitMap:
xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.
GV experts please comment!

@ Lynx – I'm not sure what the *xx rule is for in your suggested DigitMap as it seems to conflict with Obi Star Codes.

I'm sure that we all feel better for having a good DigitMap workout  :)

jimates

all of my ITSP profiles (google voice and CC) use the same digit map.

User defined digit map "Ste" which is
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1814>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.)

7, 10 or 11 digit dialing. I never use 11 digit dialing as the Obi or google voice always add it, and I make no international calls.

ianobi

Thanks for your input jimates. There's a lot to be said for removing redundant rules from DigitMaps. The xx. and @@. type of rules simply slow things down. A well crafted DigitMap does not need them.

Lynx

Quote from: ianobi on October 25, 2012, 09:39:43 AM
I can see no function for these rules in a GV DigitMap:
xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.
GV experts please comment!

@ Lynx – I'm not sure what the *xx rule is for in your suggested DigitMap as it seems to conflict with Obi Star Codes.

I'm sure that we all feel better for having a good DigitMap workout  :)

Thanks for the excellent explanation! The *xx is in Obi's default dialplan (not added by me). Obi's star codes all start with 3 asterisks (***), right? So I don't think it'd conflict with them.

As for (Mipd)|[^*]@@, I have no clue what those default settings do, but it would be interesting to know!

jimates

Per RonR on March 11, 2011

User Defined DigitMaps are a nice way to keep from having to maintain multiple copies of the same DigitMap.  For example, I use the following Digitit Map on ITSPA, ITSPB, Trunk Group 1, and several Voice Gateways:

(1xxxxxxxxxxS4|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS4|<1870>xxxxxxxS4|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Rather than duplicate it numerous times in all those places, and worse, have all those places to edit if I want to make a change to it, I put it in a User Defined DigitMap named 'ste' (Seven/Ten/Eleven).  Then I can simply reference it using (Mste) from all the places I want to use it.

'ipd' is a DigitMap for doing IP Dialing.  It supports dialing a SIP URI using an IP address:

1234567890@127.0.0.1:5060

can be dialed from a phone using

1234567890*127*0*0*1*5060

August 12, 2011

Leave the PHONE Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute at Default.  Leave the PrimaryLine at SP1 Service.

Services Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|<**2>18(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx|
<**21>8(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx|<**2>011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

Services Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

7/10/11 digits  ->  SP1
             011+  ->  SP2
        Toll Free  ->  SP2

I recommend removal of the xx. rules as I've done above.

[^*]@@. has been replaced with [^*]@@.'@'@@. as a better rule for SIP URI dialing from Speed Dials:

18005551212@tf.callwithus.com

The [^*] portion is a workaround for a bug in the OBi firmware.  It can be removed if/when the bug is fixed

ianobi

This thread has made me look again at default ITSP DigitMaps.

In my Obi110 (more than a year old) the default ITSP DigitMap is:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

I note that in the OBiDeviceAdminGuide Version 26.08.12  the default ITSP DigitMap is:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)

I wonder if any new Obi owners have seen that difference in their Obi devices?

I think we have established here that for most owners using GV and some other providers, that the optimum DigitMap is the RonR/jimates version:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.)

Where aaa is your local code.

Of course, if you don't live in North America (as in my case), then you might need very different DigitMaps  :)

@Lynx – I'm still confused by your *xx rule. If you dial an OBi Star Code from your telephone (e.g. *69, Call Return), then putting *xx in your DigitMap could cause some confusion.

jimates

I just reset my Obi202 to factory default, due to CC configuration that caused it to crash.

These are the defaults for the current FW release

ITSP Digit Map (7 digit dialing was selected during setup from the dashboard)
(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1814>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Phone 1 & 2 Digit Map
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**8(Mbt)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4(Msp4)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Phone 1 & 2 OutboundCallRoute
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):ph2},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Obitalk InboundCallRoute
{(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290xxxxxx):aa},{ph,ph2}

Of course the ITSP digit map will be moved to a user defined digit map named Ste and referenced there. The newly configured ITSP Digit Map will be ((Mste))

ianobi

Firstly, apologies to Lynx  :-[ It looks like OBi adds in *xx to the ITSP DigitMap.

Thanks jimates for showing the "true" default ITSP DigitMap. The OBiDeviceAdminGuide is somewhat lacking in this respect  ???