News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Call Failures with reason 503

Started by adi9, October 20, 2012, 09:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adi9

Hi,
Problem here - Google Voice and Obi202, calls made from home to outside getting the error code 503 (Rejected by service provider) - no matter to what number we call, usually redialing 2-3 times the call gets thru - started since yesterday, no recent firmwares done.
has anyone else having the same problem? is this OBi or Google Voice issue?

thanks!

QBZappy

adi9,

At the moment this seems to be shared by several who have reported it here on this forum. It seems that it might be related to issues with Callcentric. Any chance you are using CC?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

adi9

Hi,
No, I am using Google Voice as the primary one (anveo as secondary but dont use it to call out just as fax line), all calls comes in and go out using google Voice.

obiJuanKanobi

Same problem here, not using CallCentric nor any other provider on Obi110, only Google Voice.

What's up?

"Call was rejected by the service provider. Reason is 503."

QBZappy

adi9, obiJuanKanobi,

Perhaps there is a pattern that we can spot. If you like can you provide the "X" portion of your GV number:
(XXX) XXX-1111
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

N7AS

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

MikeHObi

My wife has experienced this 503 error multiple times over the last 2 days.  I do use call centric and have disabled it after she reported it the first time.  But today after it being disabled she has received that error 503 twice.   Both times if she retries the call it will connected.

Both were to local calls for our gv number.  One a residence, the other a hospital.  I happened to see the call status on one attempt, and it showed something about an "Announcement" when she was given the 503 message.

I wish I could have more advance logging for stuff like that which could be reviewed afterwards.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

QBZappy

MikeHObi,

You have a syslog on the OBi. If you would like to document it in order to understand what might be happening.
System Management=>Device Admin=>Syslog

Free syslog servers
http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
http://www.vercot.com/~serva/

MikeHObi

Quote from: QBZappy on October 20, 2012, 02:39:20 PM
MikeHObi,

You have a syslog on the OBi. If you would like to document it in order to understand what might be happening.
System Management=>Device Admin=>Syslog

Free syslog servers
http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
http://www.vercot.com/~serva/

Thanks.  I'll look into that.  my GV number is (651) 321-XXXX

CarlNH

Same problem here in NH area code 603.  Actually, first day I'm using my Obi so glad it's service provider and not the Obi itself. Will be testing for the next couple of weeks with GV to see if it's reliable enough for regular use.  If not, will try another provider for a while.  Meanwhile, still have the pots line connected as backup.

DineHome

Exact same problem here with GV, sometimes takes up to three tries before the call will go through. 
(239) 206-XXXX and (239) 963-XXXX

I just now noticed that my obi110 didn't have the latest firmware.  We'll see if it helps.

sc213

I have two phone lines with two different obi100 boxes. I'm using two different Google Voice numbers for them. I experienced yesterday twice error message "503". Yesterday I called a number and I  heard  the ring tone but nobody answered. I called from my cell phone and the person answered and told me that she did not hear the ring tone from my first call. Today  I got error message "503" several times from my other obi100 box.

I cannot find any announcement from Google Voice or Obitalk explaining this.
Does anybody knows more about the background of error "503"?

For phone, this is a highly unreliable service.

I just recieved following message from obi support:
"There has been temporary service issue with Google Voice connection, and Google is fixing this. Please try the call again, the connection may go through. In the mean time, there is no need to change any of your OBi setting."

MikeHObi

Went with The Dude from MicroTik. http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php
Logging is up now, so hopefully I can catch it acting up again.  I am curious if this the Obi kicking that message or Google Voice.

QBZappy

503=Service Unavailable

I looked up these numbers to see if there where some commonalities. If these are GV numbers they seem to be occuring in different parts of the country at difference Rate Centers. It still is not obvious if it is a hardware (OBi firmware) or GV issue. Although at this point we cann't be certain at what is causing this, I would have a difficult time pointing fingers at GV since after a quick look around at voip forums and searching Google itself, I cann't find other GV users complaining about the GV service. "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". At the moment the evidence seems to be pointing at the OBi.

Telcodata
http://www.telcodata.us/

(651) 321 State=MN Rate Center=STCROIXBCH MN
(415) 673 State=CA Rate Center=SNFC CNTRL CA
(360) 356 State=WA Rate Center=VANCOUVER WA
(240) 745 State=MD Rate Center=DAMASCS236 MD
(717) 308 State=VA Rate Center=DOVER VA State=PA Rate Center=DOVER PA
(239) 206 State=FL Rate Center=NAPLES FL
(239) 963 State=FL Rate Center=NAPLES FL

Edit: Made correction

CoalMinerRetired

I've been getting the 503 failure code when dialing a number in the 703 (Virginia) area code, it started with some regularity later in the week. First saw it Wed, then Thu and on Fri got it a lot.  I dial the same number in area code 703 a lot.

My suspicion: I've been seeing intermittent off behaviors in my Obi202 and I'm quite certain they are related to the CallCentric up and down (intermittent connectivity) issues.  So, even though the 503 failed call is going out on GV, based on recent observations, my suspicion is CallCentric is the root cause. 

Is it a commonality that all people reporting the issue have one or more CC services setup?  Also, an important detail to add, I was seeing these intermittent off behaviors in my device even when the CC voice service was disabled, maybe the ITSP profile for CC (where the DNS SRV names are reoslved) was still imposing a latent effect?   

Side note: area code 717 in your list Code is in south central PA, not VA, map. In fact the rate center yo umention is in area code 703

MikeHObi

Attached is a Syslog of it not working.  I don't know enough to understand what it tells me.

I have changed the phone number to be 1234567890.  In a section where it looks like it is doing DTMF ON and shows a number, it appears it did it wrong or out of order.  As it shows it in the order of the log as toning 1234569780 (note the 9 between the 6 and 7)

Though the CCTL:NewCallOn Term16[0] shows the correct number and order.
It shows GTALK:sess callsess stage change from 0 to 2.
Then GTALK:sess callsess stage change from 2 to 6
then GTALK:not redirect or redirect with no content:503!

So I wonder if the Obi is not sending the right number to Google talk

Natch... upload folder is full so I cant upload the log here it is shared on google docs. Has embedded nuls that I haven't got rid of yet so can't preview.  have to download.  It's a csv.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7jTkH327MqqQmZiUE1XOXRpd0k

MikeHObi

Not sure who is telling me 503 error by reading back the number dialed (read back correctly) but if it is Google, then the issue is with Google.  If it is the Obi, perhaps the obi told google talk the wrong number, but the obi knows the right number so it reads back to me the right one.