News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hello...HELLO

Started by dial.tone, October 25, 2012, 08:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dial.tone

Obi202 w/GV via SimonTelephony.  This is our house phone.  When we answer a call, the caller never hears the first Hello.  We have to say it two or three times before the caller hears us.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

jimates

first step is to temporarily eliminate the simon gateway and see if the results remain. Set your GV up direct to the Obi, test calls and report back.

dial.tone

Quote from: jimates on October 25, 2012, 09:58:04 PM
first step is to temporarily eliminate the simon gateway and see if the results remain. Set your GV up direct to the Obi, test calls and report back.

You are right, jimates: Troubleshooting 101 says I should have done that to start with.  Well, I did it, and the problem seems to have gone away.  Now I have the dilemma of having to choose which annoyance to live with.  If I stay with the present (sans SimonTelephony) configuration, I only have to say Hello once but I have to live with the annoyance of having caller ID identify all incoming calls as GoogleVoice.  If I revert to the previous configuration, SimonTelephony identifies my incoming callers, but I have to live with the annoyance of my first one or two Hellos not being picked up.  Where is that perfect world I so long for?  Ideas anyone?

jimates

without the Simon Gateway you should still get caller id number only. Check your setting at GV under the "calls" category for "Incoming caller id"

Hortoristic

I too had same problem.  Since eliminating Simon Gateway - problem went away.

Although CallCentric has been having problems, I did sign up for one of their free New York DID's and use SIP URI 19142961000@mydomain.com:5061 forwarding (instead of registering a SP on OBI - keeps all SP's available), and on GV fowarded incoming calls to CC, and they give you free caller name lookup.

Had been a bit flaky lately due to their denial of service attackes, but seems to be stable enough now.

jimates

Hortoristic,

give me info on setting up CC via sip uri. I have a 202 so I just set it up as sip. But for others I maintain it might be nice to leave the second sp available on a 100 or a 110.

rsriram22

Quote from: Hortoristic on October 26, 2012, 11:07:12 AM
I too had same problem.  Since eliminating Simon Gateway - problem went away.

Although CallCentric has been having problems, I did sign up for one of their free New York DID's and use SIP URI 19142961000@mydomain.com:5061 forwarding (instead of registering a SP on OBI - keeps all SP's available), and on GV fowarded incoming calls to CC, and they give you free caller name lookup.

Had been a bit flaky lately due to their denial of service attackes, but seems to be stable enough now.
how did you manage to keep all your SPs available? my understanding is that when using SIP forwarding (like you did below), one of the non GV configured SP's must be used and that SP must be configured (atleast as a dumy)
have two 100s and one 110

Hortoristic

Here's how you can configure a DID to forward to your OBI without configuring a service provider (SP) account:

First create port forwarding on your router.  Since I don't have any problems with SIP scanners, I'm still using the defaults, so I port forwarded ports 5060-5062 to forward to my OBI device IP.

Because I have a free DNS account, I have a domain with my name, let's call it: MyDomain.MyDNS.INFO (this is made up name as I don't want to give you mine!) - however you don't need the domain, you can just use your modem IP, but most routers support auto syncing your modem IP with your domain account (mydns), so it's easier for those folks that occasionally get their modem IP changed by their provider.

The assumption is, you already have a DID account, so for example I have DID's in UK and the free New York one with Call Centric.

When setting up my DID with the UK, I had the option of "register" or "sip".  Register is the most common used, where you would then use the user name and password, and server configuration IP's or URL's and configure the OBI to use my UK DID.  However; if I instead used SIP option, I would uncheck "register" and enter: "sip:441903300873@MyDomain.MyDNS.INFO:5061" - now when I call the UK number, my OBI rings and I can answer it.

When I set up my Call Centric DID, under preferences, then DID forwarding, normally you would just leave "SIP device (default)" then configure when on your SP accounts on the OBI with your user name, password and callcentric configuration URL or IP settings.  If you instead check the bottom box, where you can free type put in: 19142961033@MyDomain.MyDNS.INFO:5061 (that 914 number is made up, it's part of my free NY number sequence) – now when I call this free New York DID from Call Centric, it rings my OBI device too.  So all my DID's I forward with this syntax, thereby I don't need a separate SP configured for each DID.  My OBI only has SP1=GV and SP2=voip.ms (for E911) – ALL other DID's ring my phone without any other configuration settings.

I think, port 5062 by default really is ringing SP2, note in my case I have the device configured as voip.ms, but my DID's really are ringing SP2 as I get the different ring pattern as well.  I tried to get it to work with other ports, logically I assumed 5061 would be my GV SP, SP1 – but for some reason I could only get this to work on port 5062.

So now I forward on Google, my GV to this free Call Centric DID, and when it rings my house, I'm getting free caller name too.  When Call Centric was having network issues, I merely un-forwarded my GV, and my calls came in via SP1(GV) instead – but of course minus the caller name, only the caller number.  Even though it's forwarded to Call Centric from GV, if unanswered, GV voice mail picks up and handles the voice mail per normal.  However; my UK forwarded DID's just ring and ring unless I could configure the company that provides the free DID's in UK with voice mail – but this company doesn't have it – but that's ok.  I supposed if I wanted to get really tricky, I could forward the UK incoming calls to forward to the GV via the advanced call forwarding features of the OBI – the I would have voice mail – but only for the UK DID.

Read further down posts about needing at least one SIP configured SP on OBI:

An earlier article on this suggested I needed a dummy SP just for these DID's – but turns out you don't – it seemed to work with or without the Dummy SP configuration.

QBZappy

Hortoristic,

Nice How to.

Can I suggest that you start a new "How to" thread and copy/paste this, otherwise it will be buried and difficult to find.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Quote from: Hortoristic on October 26, 2012, 01:50:10 PM
My OBI only has SP1=GV and SP2=voip.ms (for E911) – ...

An earlier article on this suggested I needed a dummy SP just for these DID's – but turns out you don't – it seemed to work with or without the Dummy SP configuration.

You didn't need a dummy acct since you do have an acct reged as a sip acct. (voipms)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Hortoristic

Sort of stuck why then when I changed it to port 5060 that it wouldn't ring my SP1(GV) account?

QBZappy

GV is not sip protocol. It uses XMPP protocol.

Hortoristic

Well then I would say you hit the nail on the head then!  I could only get it to work with SP2=port 5061 - as SP2 was the only SIP configured account on my OBI.  So despite really using it for my voip.ms account, I was able to share it for my inbound DID calling. 

QBZappy

This thread on DSL REPORTS follows up on the idea of forwarding CC calls using various methods including sip uri format.

[General] Forwarding calls from Callcentric to another Voip Prov
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27662302-General-Forwarding-calls-from-Callcentric-to-another-Voip-Prov

MikeHObi

note, i believe this might get you cname, but will not get you E911.
it also may take care of the requirement for those free DID numbers from call centric that require a level of usage to retain the number.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

dial.tone

Quote from: jimates on October 26, 2012, 10:10:11 AM
without the Simon Gateway you should still get caller id number only. Check your setting at GV under the "calls" category for "Incoming caller id"

It's about 50/50 -- sometimes I get the number, sometimes I get GoogleVoice.  But it would be nice to have caller-ID name without the drawbacks.  Is there any way to keep SimonTelephony in the configuration setup without having to say Hello two or three times?

dial.tone

Quote from: dial.tone on October 27, 2012, 06:22:00 PM
Is there any way to keep SimonTelephony in the configuration setup without having to say Hello two or three times?

Any ideas out there on how to solve this?

jimates

Quote from: dial.tone on October 29, 2012, 05:52:54 PM
Quote from: dial.tone on October 27, 2012, 06:22:00 PM
Is there any way to keep SimonTelephony in the configuration setup without having to say Hello two or three times?

Any ideas out there on how to solve this?
have you asked Simon?
For topics specific to the simonics.com Google Voice gateway, contact gvgw@simonics.com.

dial.tone

Quote from: jimates on October 29, 2012, 06:38:15 PM
have you asked Simon?
For topics specific to the simonics.com Google Voice gateway, contact gvgw@simonics.com.

I didn't want to bug him directly (after all, he's providing a free service) and I have seen him post here before so I figured if he had an input he would post up.

dial.tone

Quote from: dial.tone on October 30, 2012, 05:00:52 AM
I didn't want to bug him directly (after all, he's providing a free service) and I have seen him post here before so I figured if he had an input he would post up.

Ok, I went ahead and emailed this issue to Bill Simon of SimonTelephony and below is his response.  It is comforting to know he is working on it.  If anybody here has any thoughts/inputs on how to overcome the initial connection delay, I'm sure he wouldn't mind hearing from you.

"Thanks for writing. The issue you have identified can be explained but not easily fixed. And to be honest I am not sure how the Obi gets around it.
When a call comes in from Google Voice, the gateway starts signaling your SIP device about the call. When you answer, the signal goes back to the gateway which then answers the call on the Google Voice side. Google's protocol is very interesting. When the gateway answers it also has to send a DTMF "1" signal to start the call. This negotiation takes a second or two and if you are too quick, you will speak before the audio path has been connected.
Could this negotiation sequence happen faster? Possibly, after some experimentation. I'll note your feedback and do some experiments to see if the connection can happen more quickly.
Bill"