News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric workaround firmware

Started by newbobr4, November 01, 2012, 02:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbobr4

Does anyone know what the firmware release for Callcentric fixes and if it is still needed?
My Obi 110 reboots every 5 to 15 minutes while registered to Callcentric.
I emailed support for this firmware fix, but they said that Callcentric is up now and if your registered, you don't need this fix.
I'm not sure if I'm having a new problem or something the firmware would have fixed.
Thanks.

VOIPisGreat

My obi is also in a reboot loop.

I also requested the firmware fix but I haven't heard from the obi support yet.

Strange thing was, my obi was working fine before the callcentric shutdown due to the storm. But once callcentric comes back online, my obi has been rebooting.

newbobr4

Thanks, VOIPisGreat, that probably means when I upgraded to the newest released firmware this morning, that didn't cause the problem. I was thinking about downgrading to an earlier version, but I think I'll wait and see what works for other people. I noticed a thread in another group, that's about this problem http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4461.msg29177#msg29177, I'm reading that now.

newbobr4

My Obi110 is running great now ;D
Obihai support added the firmware update to my Obi110 and now it's been running for almost 5 hours without rebooting.   So if your VOIP provider is Callcentric and your Obi hardware keeps rebooting every 4 to 20 minutes repeatedly, be sure to contact Obihai support for the firmware patch.

VOIPisGreat

Can you tell me the settings you use to configure callcentric?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: newbobr4 on November 01, 2012, 09:25:14 PM
My Obi110 is running great now ;D
Obihai support added the firmware update to my Obi110 and now it's been running for almost 5 hours without rebooting.   So if your VOIP provider is Callcentric and your Obi hardware keeps rebooting every 4 to 20 minutes repeatedly, be sure to contact Obihai support for the firmware patch.
Five hours is good, but I'm going to wait until people are reporting this sw is running for five days or five weeks without a reboot.

lacibaci

Quote from: VOIPisGreat on November 01, 2012, 09:30:40 PM

Somebody posted these:
ProxyServer = srv.callcentric.com
RegistrarServer = leave blank
UserAgentDomain = leave blank
OutboundProxy = leave blank
X_ProxyServerRedundancy = unchecked
X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix = checked

SPx Service:
X_KeepAliveEnable = enabled
X_KeepAliveExpires = 120

This is what I'm running right know.

newbobr4

Well I may have spoke too soon on my Obi110 working OK.  The new firmware fix stopped the endless reboot cycles of the Obi110 with Callcentric. This morning I checked things and I noticed that my Obi110 thinks it's registered with Callcentric all the time, but on my Callcentric dashboard, I am only registered part of the time. Sometimes I can call out on my Obi110 whether Callcentric is seeing it as registered or not. At other times I can't call out because the service provider is not responding. I think this may be a problem on Callcentrics end. I just thought I would keep people updated on what's going on. For someone in the Chicago area, I sure have gotten a lot of grief from the hurricane on the East coast!

CoalMinerRetired

I think I can say I speak for a lot of people, please keep this updated.

VOIPisGreat

I have noticed something that I thought is unusual: In the past, when the obi is registered, it's always registered to the same server IP address. This past couple days since the new firmware has been applied. I have noticed that the registered server IP address has changed from time to time. Not sure if it's normal as in the registered IP would change dynamically, or if the obi keeps losing registration and then re-register to a different server IP.

wantmyphonetowork

I emailed support this morning (~9 EDT) requesting the upgrade.  My OBi100 was rebooting every 4 minutes.  I received an email about 3 hours later saying the upgrade had been applied to my device.  Since then, going on 70 minutes with no reboot.  Not sure what they address in the upgrade, but so far it's worked.

newbobr4

At this point and for the last 3 days I have no problems with Callcentric because:
1. I got the firmware update from Obihai support.
2. I changed the RegistrationPeriod under the SIP parameters of the setup to 120 seconds, instead of 3600 seconds.

I filed a trouble ticket with Callcentric so they would put this information along with the other information at the beginning of your dashboard page, when you access  your dashboard page. Callcentric replied
"Thank you for providing us with this information. This is something that we are currently aware of. We will continue to provide this information to our customers."

I closed out the trouble ticket after this response, because obviously, this is how they want to handle it, if you ask them, I assume they will tell you these steps, otherwise, it is not with all the other critical information at the beginning of their dashboard page. This astounds me that they want to tell this to every Obi user separately, the only explanation I can imagine for this behavior is that it doesn't affect all Obi 110 and other Obi users. Otherwise, they are maximizing their support work load and customer pain, and that does not make  any sense.

So I guess your mileage may vary, but if you are having the reboots take step 1. Whether you have the reboot problem or not, if you aren't maintaining a consistent registration with Callcentric take step 2.

If you are newly configuring your Obi hardware and haven't got it working yet, there are several issues that may cause registration issues and I would suggest filing a trouble ticket with Callcentric, and they will help you resolve it. I remember having to make some undocumented (by Callcentric) changes to my config to get it working with them, but they are the ones who told me to make the changes. They seem to prefer for their own reasons,
(once again, I have to assume that not everyone needs the changes), to not document these changes for everyone to see.

wantmyphonetowork

I have noticed that with the upgrade, my Obi100 no longer has the reboots.  However, after several hours of being registered, it seems to lose some level of connectivity with Callcentric.  The Obi status says registered, Callcentric says registered, but calls will not complete, in either direction.  I get a ring, but when answering, there is no connection. 

VOIPisGreat

Mine still reboots itself after the firmware update, but instead of rebooting every few minutes, it's now rebooting every other day it seems. I am going to try different callcentric settings to see if it makes a difference.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: VOIPisGreat on November 06, 2012, 01:05:05 PM
Mine still reboots itself after the firmware update, but instead of rebooting every few minutes, it's not rebooting every other day it seems. I am going to try different callcentric settings to see if it makes a difference.

See above: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4497.msg29497#msg29497

I'll be curious if a different configuration gets you beyond the 'every other day rebooting' to say seven consecutive days of uptime.

VOIPisGreat

Quote from: lacibaci on November 02, 2012, 06:48:34 AM
Quote from: VOIPisGreat on November 01, 2012, 09:30:40 PM

Somebody posted these:
ProxyServer = srv.callcentric.com
RegistrarServer = leave blank
UserAgentDomain = leave blank
OutboundProxy = leave blank
X_ProxyServerRedundancy = unchecked
X_DnsSrvAutoPrefix = checked

SPx Service:
X_KeepAliveEnable = enabled
X_KeepAliveExpires = 120

This is what I'm running right know.

I tried both the setting recommended by CC and the above setting. My obi has been resetting roughly every other day, with the firmware fix installed. Has anyone else seen the same issue?

RoyH

Quote from: VOIPisGreat link=topic=4497.msg29759#msg29759My obi has been resetting roughly every other day, with the firmware fix installed. Has anyone else seen the same issue?

I don't have the new firmware but I did have an issue with my Obi100 rebooting every 12 hours.  When I enabled remote syslog it turned out the the Obi was trying to renew its DHCP address (halfway through the DHCP lease of 24 hours) and my Netgear router was refusing to renew.  When that happens the Obi reboots itself, requests a new DHCP address, and everything is fine.

The cause was a bug in my Netgear router firmware when you try to assign a specific IP address to a device via DHCP.  If the address is outside the range of the DHCP pool then the router won't renew it.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=59228

I changed the assigned IP address to be inside the DHCP pool and the rebooting stopped.  Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds similar.  Ideally the Obi would negotiate a new IP when it receives a DHCP NAK instead of rebooting.

VOIPisGreat

Quote from: RoyH on November 08, 2012, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: VOIPisGreat link=topic=4497.msg29759#msg29759My obi has been resetting roughly every other day, with the firmware fix installed. Has anyone else seen the same issue?

I don't have the new firmware but I did have an issue with my Obi100 rebooting every 12 hours.  When I enabled remote syslog it turned out the the Obi was trying to renew its DHCP address (halfway through the DHCP lease of 24 hours) and my Netgear router was refusing to renew.  When that happens the Obi reboots itself, requests a new DHCP address, and everything is fine.

The cause was a bug in my Netgear router firmware when you try to assign a specific IP address to a device via DHCP.  If the address is outside the range of the DHCP pool then the router won't renew it.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=59228

I changed the assigned IP address to be inside the DHCP pool and the rebooting stopped.  Not sure if this is your problem but it sounds similar.  Ideally the Obi would negotiate a new IP when it receives a DHCP NAK instead of rebooting.

Thanks for the tip. I checked the IP address of the obi and it's within the DHCP range, so I suspect this is not the issue. But I reboot the router in case it's in a weird state which is causing the problem.

I read from DSLR that callcentric has fixed their SRV record so potentially people won't even need the firmware fix anymore. I am going to leave the CC setting for 2 more days and see if the reboot issue will go away.

IrwinFamily

I have assigned a static IP to my OBi. That would stop all DHCP lease issues. For example, if your subnet is 192.168.1.xxx, your router is likely 192.168.1.1 and your DHCP pool begins with 192.168.1.100. If you assign the OBi an address of 192.168.1.50 you should be fine.