News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setup and Google Voice Canada user

Started by Matthew, November 04, 2012, 08:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I'm trying to set this up but some of the screenshots in the tutorial are not the same as what I'm getting. For example, there is a picture where upon logging into Google Voice, the setup screen then asks for you to choose a number however I never had this. Many of the tabs I see on the pictures in the tutorial are not there for me. Here is a SS of what my main menu of Google Voice looks like:

Notice there is nothing about gear, voicemail, inbox etc. My Gmail account is tied to my Android so I made another account to test this and it's the same issue.

Now, I have the Obi100 setup and from the analog phone attached to it, I can place calls no problem! However when I use the Obi phone and call my cellphone, I try that number (thinking it might be mine unknowingly) and it says it cannot be connected. So essentially I am able to call out but have no way of calling my obi because I have no idea what the number is!

Help this is driving me nuts and thinking of just going to Ooma if this can't work properly in Canada.

jimates

what do you see when you click on the gear icon on the right and select "settings"

Matthew

I get two options: Billing and Account. Google Account Settings doesn't lead anywhere either. I've even created a gmail account using on a VPN and got a US number to verify the US account and the exact same options are available.

Robert.Thompson

Your problem is that Google has detected that your PC does not have a US IP address. When this happens, you get the pages that you are seeing.

Use HotSpotShield to trick Google into thinking that your PC is in the USA - it, HSS, does this automatically for you.

My blog has some tips for us Canadians.

HTH
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Matthew

I tried it again with the VPN that I have and today it worked. I had to tether my phone instead of using my Telus router. Now I can call out from my home phone and call back the same number using my cell. Sends and receives calls. Great.

I looked through your blog and found a post about forwarding my GV# to my CDN cell. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use my cordless phone at home, ringing both the Obi Phone and my cell phone, and while I'm away have my cell still working properly. I do not want a new CDN number, just want to use my cell# that I've had for years.

Is this possible?

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: Matthew on November 05, 2012, 09:21:12 AM
... Ideally, I'd like to be able to use my cordless phone at home, ringing both the Obi Phone and my cell phone, and while I'm away have my cell still working properly. I do not want a new CDN number, just want to use my cell# that I've had for years.

Is this possible?

Hi Matthew:

I am no Obi or GV guru but to setup your Obi to receive calls placed to your GV phone number, follow this tutorial: http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1.html

To have calls placed to your GV phone number forwarded to your cell phone, you must setup a US phone number on your GV account and have that US number forwarded to your cell phone. You can try a free US number from IPKall.com or get an account with Anveo.com or Voip.ms and get a US number from them, and forward it to your cell phone.

I believe that any call to GV will ring both your Obi phone & your cell phone simultaneously.

The problem is that anyone calling you GV phone number will incur long-distance calls to the US. To get around this, you would have to get a Canadian phone number, in your local area code, from Anveo.com or Voip.ms (or maybe some free service) and have that new Canadian number forwarded to your GV number. Then people who call you on this new Canadian number will funnel through your GV account but, you will be paying for the call at VOIP rates.  

GV is not really all that useful for Canadians, except if you use Google Voice Callback to reduce your cell phone usage, or, if you use it on your Obi home phone.

Also, remember that if you text someone from GV, and they reply, they will pay for a long distance text msg to the US, or, 'how to lose friends quickly'.

I hope someone, more knowledgeable than I, responds to your post.  
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com