News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSU Issues

Started by digitalvoip, November 04, 2012, 07:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalvoip

Hello,

I wanted to see if the Obi110 PSU are under warranty. As of a few days the PSU started making a high pitch noise.
I send an email to support but I am not sure if it went out sense there is no confirmation.
Any Ideas?

TIA!

MurrayB

I believe that the PSU is covered under the warranty.  From what I have observed Obi support is not very prompt or communicative. You can purchase better replacement power supply units fairly inexpensively from Amazon or on E-bay.

Good Luck!

digitalvoip

MurrayB,

Thanks for your reply. I will look in to it. do you have any recommendations on which to buy? I never bought a replacement PSU and dont want to buy the wrong one :)
I am placing an amazon order soon so ill throw that in.

Thanks for the help.

Ostracus

I believe some here have said the Linksys PSUs work. Check the ratings on yours.

Edit: It should be a switching PSU, not linear.

MurrayB

The Obi power supply is +12V @ 1 Ampere. The positive is the center conductor.

MikeHObi

The important part is the volts which is 12, and the amps which is 1.  The volts at 12 means you must get a power adapter that is 12volts.  the 1amp means you must get a power supply that supports at a minimum 1amp, though if it supports more, that's o.k.

The part I don't know, but maybe others can help, what size is the connector?  It's round, but is it 2.1mm?  Tip positive?
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Rick

I have found that OBi responds within a few hours.  If you sent it on the weekend, I wouldn't expect a response until today.

And when I submit it does say that it was submitted on the next screen.

digitalvoip

Rick,

Thanks for the reply.
I did not get a confirmation saying it was sent. All it said was :You chose Obi110 and you enter obi # blah blah blah" Thats it.
So looks like it did not go out.

ProfTech

If you are located in the US I would consider getting a Linear supply. Some people have reported that the Linear supplies work better [reduced hum]. If you are outside of the US you probably should use a switching supply. There was a 1 1/2 Amp Netgear one listed on Amazon for about $10 that was supposed to be a Linear one. I think someone posted a link somewhere on this forum.

Rick

I have my OBi, plus everything else except my wireless router, in the basement mounted on a board.  So any noise wouldn't be heard.  That was convenient to tap into the house phone wiring.  It's also where I bring in the cable to my cable modem, which then runs up to the wireless router upstairs.

ProfTech

Here is the link for the Netgear. Looks like they are still available. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746W4GG If you look closely at the second photo it appears to be a Linear supply. The one you posted seems to be a switcher because it has a voltage range of 100-240 volts.

digitalvoip

Quote from: ProfTech on November 05, 2012, 05:13:01 PM
Here is the link for the Netgear. Looks like they are still available. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746W4GG If you look closely at the second photo it appears to be a Linear supply. The one you posted seems to be a switcher because it has a voltage range of 100-240 volts.

Thanks!!!