News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to hear the person I am trying to talk to.

Started by toddmd2, November 09, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddmd2

I got OBi set up properly with my Google Voice number, I can place and receive calls no problem, but while the person I'm connected to can hear me I cannot hear them.  I have been unsuccessful in troubleshooting this issue myself and wonder if anyone has any ideas?

QBZappy

toddmd2,

Welcome.

Two things to try.
1) Port forward the RTP ports to the OBi:
Service Providers
   ITSP Profile X
       General
       SIP
       RTP <--

2) Setup a Stun server

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

toddmd2

Thanks for the quick reply Zappy.  Being a bit new to this whole thing I need to ask: When you talk about forwarding the ports, are you talking about the ports on my router?  If so, I see no RTP options.  I guess what I'm asking is if you can dumb it down a bit?  Sorry.

QBZappy

toddmd2,
Quote from: toddmd2 on November 09, 2012, 04:03:39 PM
I need to ask: When you talk about forwarding the ports, are you talking about the ports on my router?  If so, I see no RTP options.

None of these suggestions may resolve your issue, however I suspect that you may not have covered some of the more basic trouble shooting steps.You did not give any specifics about your particular setup. You should mention the router brand/model. Is the call GV<->PSTN, GV<->sip, GV<->GV?

FAQ ( http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html ) These should cover all the ports for an OBi110/100. The OBi202 has additional RTP ports to open. (SP3+SP4)

What ports should I keep open on my router/firewall?
In order for your OBi to be able to send packets w/o interruption, please configure your router as follows:

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

Additional troubleshooting steps in the event you decide to set up a sip account and encounter one way audio.
1) Try to disable the sip ALG setting in the router. In many routers this breaks sip. In your case you mentioned using GV. GV does not use a sip protocol, so I don't expect it to fix the issue. This is more a preventative measure for when you setup a sip account in the future.

2) Set up a Stun server. A stun server helps the router and the ATAs (OBi) in the communication to negogiate the WAN ip (internet) address and port numbers of the call automatically using the sip protocol. Note that once again this is developed for sip clients. In the case of GV I don't expect it to resolve one way audio.

Have a look here for port forwarding info. ( http://portforward.com/ )You should find info specificly related to your router brand. You will not find any reference to RTP in the router itself. The RTP ports are used to pass the voice part of the conversation. On the OBi you will find the specific port numbers to forward where I indicated with the arrow. They above ports from the FAQ is more complete.

This should keep you busy for awhile.  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

toddmd2

I probably should have provided a bit more info.  My router is a LinksysWRT54gTM (a t-mobile branded version of the standard 54g) and I am attempting to run a GV <-> PSTN.

On another post I found a solution that suggested forwarding port 19305, I did this and it fixed my problem, then it stopped working.

Additionally, do you find it better to run a network of static IPs so that the ports are always being forwarded to the same IP?  Right now my OBi 100 is on .107, on a DHCP setup, that IP will change at some point so my port forwarding will need to change also correct?

QBZappy

For port forwarding to work the OBi  needs a fixed ip address.

I believe that your router could be flashed with Tomato firmware. It might improve things.
http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on November 09, 2012, 06:34:51 PM

2) Set up a Stun server. A stun server helps the router and the ATAs (OBi) in the communication to negogiate the WAN ip (internet) address and port numbers of the call automatically using the sip protocol. Note that once again this is developed for sip clients. In the case of GV I don't expect it to resolve one way audio.

This should keep you busy for awhile.  :D

It might. I've been reading some of sipsocery's posts over on DSLreports and I believe (unless Google made changes) a STUN server is involved.

Diana

You can flash that Router with Tomato Firmware or DD-WRT.  I have the same Router (WRT54G-TM) with DD-WRT (Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929) serving as my main Router and do not have to forward any ports for my OBi110 to function properly.

Quote from: QBZappy on November 10, 2012, 05:39:43 AM
For port forwarding to work the OBi  needs a fixed ip address.

I believe that your router could be flashed with Tomato firmware. It might improve things.
http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164

CoalMinerRetired

Can you connect your Obi directly to your cable modem, temporarily eliminate the router from the mix, and see if it works that way.

toddmd2

Quote from: Diana on November 10, 2012, 12:51:23 PM
You can flash that Router with Tomato Firmware or DD-WRT.  I have the same Router (WRT54G-TM) with DD-WRT (Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega - build 14929) serving as my main Router and do not have to forward any ports for my OBi110 to function properly.

So you're telling me that with your router flashed with the DDWRT firmware that your OBi is pretty much plug and play?  You don't use static IPs or forward any ports at all?

MikeHObi

Quote from: toddmd2 on November 10, 2012, 07:16:48 PM
Quote from: Diana on November 10, 2012, 12:51:23 PM

So you're telling me that with your router flashed with the DDWRT firmware that your OBi is pretty much plug and play?  You don't use static IPs or forward any ports at all?

I plugged my Obi202 into one of the network ports of my Linksys WRT610Nv2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/21/10) big and it just worked.  No ports to forward, no static IP's (at this time, though i expect that would change nothing)  Now granted, my router may not be the most locked down device.  I have used some tools, including ShieldsUp! to verify it is sufficiently protected.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.