News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What all should I buy when purchasing Obihai202

Started by Jillxz, November 11, 2012, 01:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jillxz

I am looking to purchase a VOIP system and have been reading up on the Obihai 202 .  the more I read the more confused I get.  It seems so very complicated to set up with Google voice. 
I have a fiber optic cable internet connection and a wireless Cisco/Linksky M10 hotspot.  I have three ethernet ports available on it . Can I use this device with my hotspot ?.   I am a complete dummy on technical things. Like my router for instance.  What is the difference between the router I have and any router.  I need to talk with some one on a phone so I can ask questions and hear answers.
I am so afraid that this device might be blocked by my ISP provider.  He came down and installed my Router himself and did it without a download of the software.

I am utterly confused.  Maybe I will just but the OOMA Telo.  It would be so much easier for me and the cost monthly would only be a few dollars for taxes in my area which would not be over 5 dollars a month.

Jillxz

Since my router is wireless , do I still need to purchase an adapter ?

Rick

Quote from: Jillxz on November 11, 2012, 01:57:02 PM
I am looking to purchase a VOIP system and have been reading up on the Obihai 202 .  the more I read the more confused I get.  It seems so very complicated to set up with Google voice.  
I have a fiber optic cable internet connection and a wireless Cisco/Linksky M10 hotspot.  I have three ethernet ports available on it . Can I use this device with my hotspot ?.   I am a complete dummy on technical things. Like my router for instance.  What is the difference between the router I have and any router.  I need to talk with some one on a phone so I can ask questions and hear answers.
I am so afraid that this device might be blocked by my ISP provider.  He came down and installed my Router himself and did it without a download of the software.

I am utterly confused.  Maybe I will just but the OOMA Telo.  It would be so much easier for me and the cost monthly would only be a few dollars for taxes in my area which would not be over 5 dollars a month.

1) Can I use this device with my hotspot?  - Yes.  You'll plug the OBi into one of the router's ethernet ports.  You do NOT need to buy a wireless adapter.  That would allow you to connect your OBi to the router wirelessly, vs. via the ethernet port.  Only reason to do that would be if your router isn't anywhere near your OBi and you don't want to run ethernet cable from one to the other.  
2) Difference between your router and other routers? - No idea, it's a router which is what matters.
3) I need to talk to someone on the phone - then you might want to consider not buying this product.  It's fairly simply to hookup with GoogleVoice.  It's less simple to hookup with other providers.  
4) There is no reason that your ISP would block this device.  

Is there a reason you're spending more money on the 202 instead of the 100 or 110?  100 doesn't allow POTS (plain old telephone service) line.  110 does.  202 gives you more capability, but costs a lot more.  http://www.obihai.com/product-primer.html

giqcass

I agree with Rick on all points.  I also checked out your router.  They gave it a fancy name to impress but it's really a pretty standard design so you won't have any issues. 

In addition to what Rick said 911 should be mentioned.  When using this with Google Voice you don't have standard 911.  You will want to make sure you have a way to call for emergencies. There are a lot of 911 options that can either be added on for free or for a small fee.  With ooma that extra money you pay is collected to pay for providing E911.  With any VOIP system including ooma internet outages mean no 911 unless you have a cell phone for backup.  

Also as Rick said you may not want the higher priced OBi.  Here is why I bought the OBI202.  The 202 has the ability to connect to a cell phone if you add the Blue tooth dongle.  That is convenient if you like to leave your cellphone charging and still be able to receive calls to your cell phone while walking around the house.

It can also be connected to wifi with the wifi dongle.  For performance and simplicity I prefer to connect directly to my modem or router.  Some hotels may only provide wifi connections and the OBI is great if you want to stay connected when you are away from home. Especially if you are outside of the country.  The cost savings can be enormous because the OBI acts as if you are still at home.

One final note and this is just my opinion. The OBI is the best VOIP device on the market.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

Quote from: giqcass on November 13, 2012, 06:07:34 AM
I agree with Rick on all points.  One additional thing.  When using this with Google Voice you don't have standard 911.  You will want to make sure you have a way to call for emergencies. There are a lot of 911 options that can either be added on for free or for a small fee.  With ooma that extra money you pay is collected to pay for providing E911.  With any VOIP system including ooma internet outages mean no 911 unless you have a cell phone for backup. 

Also as Rick said you may not want the higher priced OBi.  Here is why I bought the OBI202.  The 202 has the ability to connect to a cell phone if you add the Blue tooth dongle.  That is convenient if you like to leave your cellphone charging and still be able to receive calls to your cell phone while walking around the house.

It can also be connected to wifi with the wifi dongle.  For performance and simplicity I prefer to connect directly to my modem or router.  Some hotels may only provide wifi connections and the OBI is great if you want to stay connected when you are away from home. Especially if you are outside of the country.  The cost savings can be enormous because the OBI acts as if you are still at home.

One final note and this is just my opinion. The OBI is the best VOIP device on the market.

I didn't follow your Bluetooth discussion at first, but then I did - you're saying that you connect your cell phone to the 202 via Bluetooth, then you can walk around "with your cell phone charging" and receive calls on it?  I understand everything but the charging part - and of course you can only walk around as far as the Bluetooth reaches.  You can't connect the cell to the OBi via Bluetooth AND have a Bluetooth headset connected at the same time and therefore leave the cell plugged in while you walk with the headset, can you?  Don't have it to try it, but figured one pairing at a time.

I'd also make the point that in your house most people have portable phones that work just great, to which you can often plug in a headset and put the phone in your pocket or on a belt clip.  Also, most cell phones have "favorites / in circle" you can setup.  If you setup your GV number in that group, which allows your cell to receive or make calls to GV for free, you can then make long distance free calls on GV with your cell by simply using the GV android application OR using GV on the PC to call your cell.  You can also receive calls on your cell for free from anyone IF you set the callerid for that GV number to be the GV number, not the actual caller id (an option in GV). 

giqcass

I simply mean that many of us bring their cell phones home at the end of the day and we plug them into the charger.  With the Bluetooth feature you can leave your cellphone sitting there charging near you OBI and then take calls anywhere around the house on a cordless phone or a corded phone and not be tied down because you battery is low or go running around the house to find my cellphone to catch that call.  It's merely convenience.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

Quote from: giqcass on November 13, 2012, 06:25:17 AM
I simply mean that many of us bring their cell phones home at the end of the day and we plug them into the charger.  With the Bluetooth feature you can leave your cellphone sitting there charging near you OBI and then take calls anywhere around the house on a cordless phone or a corded phone and not be tied down because you battery is low or go running around the house to find my cellphone to catch that call.  It's merely convenience.

Ah, you mean you're receiving cell calls on your home phones via the BT connection between the OBi and the cell phone.  Got it!   :)

aopisa

Using an Obi device is not as easy as just plugging your phone into a wall jack and getting a dial tone. It is also not too terribly difficult either. I don't know very much about voip and phone technology in general, but I do find working on technical problems an enjoyable challenge. I was able to properly set up my Obi 100 with GV and a separate provider for E911, but not without doing some research on this forum as well as other sources on the internet to make sure I was doing things correctly.

If you are really technically challenged, then this may not be the system for you.