News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is GV now displaying caller names?

Started by Hortoristic, November 14, 2012, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

I used to forward my GV to CallCentric, then have my OBI pick up the CC number as it then also displayed Caller Name.

Since CC had so many problems, I dropped them from the equation and now just have SP1 configured with GV.  However; all my call logs on OBI are showing pretty decent caller names - did they start pushing them through - or am I having a brain freeze?

Hortoristic

GV still seems to be handing me CNAME - most caller Names are showing such as:

From 'GRAYS HARBOR CM' SP1(13605330450)

CoalMinerRetired

I'm not seeing it, just checked a few incoming calls from earlier today.

Looking back in call history, I agree that is the format back when I did GV > CC to get CNAM on the incoming call.

Hortoristic

I'm not using CC anymore - Only GV.

Only Google Chat is selected in my GV settings - I'm not forwarding to CC.

I also checked call history on my CC account - I don't have any call activity for over two weeks.  How the heck am I getting caller name display by just using GV - very weird!

http://screencast.com/t/N2G3sKsKmOJ

CoalMinerRetired

This tripped me up a few weeks ago: Do you have 'forward to your CC number' selected in any GV caller groups? If you do, that would take precede over how the main GV "Forward Calls to " selections and you could have a subset of certain callers being forwarded to CC.  Although I see you have CC completely disabled in your Obi, so maybe this is a dead end.

Do the CNAM names show in the GV History? In my GV, a name appears with an inbound number when the name is in the contact list, otherwise it shows number plus City and State.

Rick

I can verify that GV is not passing cname to the phone.  I can't tell you if it's passing the GV contact name, if one exists, but I'll keep an eye out and see.  Many of my GV names are also in my phone, so it would have to be one that's only on my GV contact list for me to notice.

jimates

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on November 15, 2012, 11:29:51 AM
This tripped me up a few weeks ago: Do you have 'forward to your CC number' selected in any GV caller groups? If you do, that would take precede over how the main GV "Forward Calls to " selections and you could have a subset of certain callers being forwarded to CC.  Although I see you have CC completely disabled in your Obi, so maybe this is a dead end.

Do the CNAM names show in the GV History? In my GV, a name appears with an inbound number when the name is in the contact list, otherwise it shows number plus City and State.

Quote from: Hortoristic on November 15, 2012, 10:58:52 AM
I'm not using CC anymore - Only GV.

Only Google Chat is selected in my GV settings - I'm not forwarding to CC.

I also checked call history on my CC account - I don't have any call activity for over two weeks.  How the heck am I getting caller name display by just using GV - very weird!

http://screencast.com/t/N2G3sKsKmOJ

Hortoristic

I owe everyone a huge apology - it seems my device has reverted back to Simon Gateway - I don't know how this happened, I have auto provisioning turned off - and I haven't drank alcohol for years - so can't blame the bottle!

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

QBZappy

Hortoristic,

You're such a tease. Everyone was hoping your were chosen as a beta tester for this new feature.  :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

fred11

I too was sending my gv calls through cc to get cid names.  When N.Y. went under water, I stopped forwarding calls to cc and used gv chat as in original set-up.
Over the last 2 weeks, I forgot about cc even though they were still indicated as registered on my Obi110 sp2. Day before yesterday, names started popping up on incoming calls. Sure enough, I found one gv sub-group where I still was forwarding to my free N.Y. number (out of service due to Sandy) and it just came back online.

Hortoristic

If Simon Gateway can get his hands on CNAME DB - I wonder why Google doesn't do it also.

jimates

Quote from: fred11 on November 16, 2012, 12:48:42 PM
I too was sending my gv calls through cc to get cid names.  When N.Y. went under water, I stopped forwarding calls to cc and used gv chat as in original set-up.
Over the last 2 weeks, I forgot about cc even though they were still indicated as registered on my Obi110 sp2. Day before yesterday, names started popping up on incoming calls. Sure enough, I found one gv sub-group where I still was forwarding to my free N.Y. number (out of service due to Sandy) and it just came back online.
Is CC back online. Is it safe to configure it on the Obi without causing problems? If so what configuration settings should be used.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: jimates on November 16, 2012, 01:15:25 PM
Is CC back online. Is it safe to configure it on the Obi without causing problems? If so what configuration settings should be used.
Good questions. No single answer, http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4594.msg30049

jimates

I saw that earlier.

Anyone that is successfully using CC currently please post your configuration.

CoalMinerRetired