News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric 911 Replacement

Started by Rick, October 30, 2012, 04:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

As those of us who depend on Callcentric know, they've had a few bad weeks with denial of service attacks, rendering their service unreliable.  For those of us with E911 through them, that's a big problem.  For those that use Callcentric for all their service, it's a bigger problem.

Now, Callcentric is down due to the NYC power outage.  They apparently have limited emergency power for a very short period, after which they go dark, since they are in a building without backup generators (apparently you can't have them for just an office, it has to be the whole building.  Apparently they didn't co-locate their datacenter.

I'm done with them. I need reliable 911 service.  I will investigate other E911 options, but in the meantime I'm redirecting my 911 calls to the emergency dispatch center via their direct dial emergency number.

I use the "expert" interface, i.e. I type in the IP address of my box and edit things directly.  I made the following easy change:

Physical Interfaces, Phone Port, Outbound call route:

OLD: {911:sp2}
NEW: {(<911:DIRECTDIALNUMBERGOESHERE>):SP1}

It's that simple. You can find the direct dial emergency number on the website of your dispatch center.

I will test it later today, when it's light out and the weather lightens up here in Michigan, by calling the NON-EMERGENCY number and asking if I can perform a test call on 911.  If today it doesn't lighten up I'll do it tomorrow.  

When Callcentric is back up, I plan on closing my account and getting a refund for September and October at least.

Hope this helps others.  

Update: Tested fine.  I also went into all my SP2 settings and restored to defaults, so I have no Callcentric info on my OBi, and therefore should also not have any problems that Callcentric users had with their multi-week denial of service attack, which also affected OBis.

lhm.

"It's that simple. You can find the direct dial emergency number on the website of your dispatch center."

While the above may be true, it may happen when you call, that if the 911 call center is busy your call will be answered by a recording asking you to either leave a message or call back at a less busy time. Happened to me twice when calling that type of number (aka Urgency without Emergency) for information about a PSAP number. That's why I switched to gv911.com, as a dedicated SPx is not required on the OBI.

Rick

Quote from: lhm. on October 30, 2012, 11:17:20 AM
"It's that simple. You can find the direct dial emergency number on the website of your dispatch center."

While the above may be true, it may happen when you call, that if the 911 call center is busy your call will be answered by a recording asking you to either leave a message or call back at a less busy time. Happened to me twice when calling that type of number (aka Urgency without Emergency) for information about a PSAP number. That's why I switched to gv911.com, as a dedicated SPx is not required on the OBI.

I don't know what kind of number you called, but mine is the direct dial EMERGENCY number, not a "Urgency without Emergency" number, that I obtained from them and it works just fine.

I'm not going with a company that setup a website several months ago, provides no information about how it works, or any FAQ, and even their parent bulk911.com is as sketchy.  Their signup is not even secure...

jimates

Quote from: Rick on October 30, 2012, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: lhm. on October 30, 2012, 11:17:20 AM

I don't know what kind of number you called, but mine is the direct dial EMERGENCY number, not a "Urgency without Emergency" number, that I obtained from them and it works just fine.

I'm not going with a company that setup a website several months ago, provides no information about how it works, or any FAQ, and even their parent bulk911.com is as sketchy.  Their signup is not even secure...
Many of use don't have the option of an alternate number "direct dial emergency number". My option is the non-emergency number (dispatcher). Which is the same number you call if your neighbor's dog shit's in your yard.

As far as gv911, everybody had to start somewhere. I recall that during the winter storm of 1992 or 93 we didn't have a land line for a week. Did that cause a stir about 911, I doubt it.

Rick

lhm.

My number was direct to the 911 dispatch center also and answered by a 911 operator/dispatcher, however when all personnel are busy with calls from 911 PSAP then callers to that PSTN number are routed to a recording.

I would suggest anyone using a setup such as you describe (and I used to use) get verification that their call will have the same priority/urgency as a standard 911 PSAP call.

Rick

Quote from: lhm. on October 30, 2012, 11:50:29 AM
My number was direct to the 911 dispatch center also and answered by a 911 operator/dispatcher, however when all personnel are busy with calls from 911 PSAP then callers to that PSTN number are routed to a recording.

I would suggest anyone using a setup such as you describe (and I used to use) get verification that their call will have the same priority/urgency as a standard 911 PSAP call.

I did.  Mine is the "911 VoIP line".

rsriram22

an important note: although the same 911 personnel answer when the 'non-Emergency' line is called (and instantly as well), there are few gotchas per my local PSAP director. according to him,

"
This Administrative number rings in the same location (and is answered by the same individuals) that 9-1-1 calls are routed.  However, 9-1-1 calls have priority over ANY call to this 10-digit number and calls received on this number are not processed via the 9-1-1 network and thus the phone number from which you called (ie call back number) is NOT received and/or processed within the center.

Therefore, even if you called the 10-digit number, we will not have your proper call back number.

"

please make sure you enquire about this with your local PSAP folks before making it your default line. What it also implies is that no smart911 info can be displayed to 911 personnel (if you have smart911 profile that is..)
have two 100s and one 110

crackie

Another option for anyone interested.  I just signed up with future-nine.com.  Reviews on-line seem good.  Their E911 is $5 setup and $1/month.

rsriram22

same here - i just started the number port process from CC to Future nine..

(went for the same plan - $5 pay-as-you-go with 2000 'free' incoming minutes + $1 E911).

and the best part is, Future Nine sends your caller ID to 911 when a call is made vs anveo/CC who send a hidden/temporary CID. Makes a huge difference if you use smart911.com
have two 100s and one 110

jimates

the pay as you go plan is $8 a month. The Bare Essentials plan is $7 a month. I guess you can get 911 on either plan for the additional $1 per month.

Hortoristic

Been using voip.ms for my E911 - and have had to call 911 twice - and it worked great.  $1.50 a month, since I was already a customer for my international plan, I don't think I had a set up fee.