News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

Started by ShermanObi, March 23, 2011, 12:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShermanObi

OBi Expert Configuration

Welcome to OBi Expert Configuration!  OBi Expert Configuration is, in essence, a portal within a portal for making any and all service-related configuration modifications to an OBi device.  Before we introduce the capabilities of the OBi Expert Configuration pages, let's review the functionality of the OBiTALK portal.

When an OBi device is added to the OBiTALK dashboard, it can be managed via the OBiTALK portal for device-specific things such as setting the device name, time-zone, AA PIN, etc.  The OBiTALK portal is also a place where services can be configured on a device – using either a service provider specific drop-down menu or with any service's SIP credentials and the Generic Service Provider template.  What's more, the OBiTALK portal can be used to configure network based functionality – applicable to all the OBi devices and the OBi soft phone owned by the user, e.g. Speed Dials and Trusted Caller ID Numbers and devices of his or her friends in Circles of Trust.

Now, that the higher-level OBiTALK portal has been described, let's talk about the OBi Expert Configuration Pages.  The OBi Expert Configuration pages are just that, for experts.  Users who do not feel comfortable with the on-board web-based OBi device configuration pages should stay away from the OBi Expert Configuration pages.  Users who do not feel comfortable reading the OBi Device Administration Guide should stay away from the OBi Expert Configuration pages.  When one uses the OBi Expert pages, they need to know that synchronization with settings and service indications as shown on the higher-level OBiTALK portal may display inaccurate configuration information.  The settings as shown in the OBi Expert pages trump all settings in the OBiTALK portal pages.  

The over-arching philosophy behind the OBi Expert Configuration Menu is to give users the ability to control their devices and services with a cloud-based management approach – affording all (or almost all) the flexibility of configuring the OBi via its integral browser based interface.  This capability is useful to Obihai customers and system integrators of Obihai products who gain considerable usefulness from the flexibility the OBi Expert Configuration management provides.

There are two data bases that come into play when interacting with the OBi Expert Configuration pages.  The OBiTALK configuration database stores the configurations that enable those functions made available on the OBiTALK portal.  Therefore, the OBiTALK portal pages will always represent the configuration settings associated with the OBiTALK database configuration for that particular device.  The functionality of the OBiTALK portal is continually changing.  With OBiTALK, Obihai is able to expose powerful features to the user which require somewhat complex and complicated configurations of the OBi device when used in conjunction with its owner's service provider accounts, soft phones and other OBi devices.

Note:  Neither database maintains storage of passwords used by OBi devices for administrative access or voice service registration.  When a password is entered and submitted via the OBiTALK or OBi Expert Configuration web pages, it is sent securely to the device (on the next profile re-sync) and then deleted.

OBi Expert Configuration Functions
When you enter the OBi Expert Configuration Menu, you are presented with the following function buttons:

Enter OBi Expert: Entering the OBi Expert configuration pages provides the user with the full breadth of every service-applicable parameter on the OBi device.

Reset OBi Expert Config: Selecting this option will perform a reset of applicable OBi Expert parameters to their factory default setting.

Revert to OBiTALK: When this option is selected every parameter will follow what is currently stored in the device's OBiTALK database configuration.

Importing a Configuration: At the bottom of the page there is an Import Configuration section, where there resides a function which allows the user to import (or upload) a previously saved XML configuration file as their OBi Expert database configuration.

When this option is selected, the OBi Expert database will import these settings and save them as the device's OBi Expert Configuration settings.  Once this configuration is in the database, the user can uncheck the OBiTALK setting box to selectively invoke parameter configurations contained in the imported config file. The OBiTALK box is checked by default because the OBi Expert mode requires that the user understand the changes they make while in the OBi Expert Configuration menus can possibly alter or break functionality associated with their OBiTALK configuration.  Also since OBiTALK controlled parameters change overtime, it is safer for the OBi Expert user to have to uncheck the OBiTALK Settings box in that a configuration that they previously knew to not be in conflict with OBiTALK may be in conflict the next time they go to import a config file.

Inside the OBi Expert Configuration pages, you will notice its resemblance to the OBi device web page menu, look and layout.  To the right of the configurable parameter value field, there may be a red exclamation mark (!).  When this mark is present, it means the parameter value next to where it appears has an OBi Expert configuration database entry that is different than the OBiTALK database entry.  If the Device Default and OBiTALK boxes are left unchecked, then the OBi will use this setting in its active configuration.  

On the right side of the OBiTALK Settings check box there may be an asterisk (*) indicating this parameter is currently being used in the OBiTALK portal for feature configuration.  Therefore, if the symbol resides next to a parameter setting that you choose to over-ride with an OBi Expert Configuration setting, the functionality configured by the OBiTALK portal is subject to conflicted operation.  It is important to note that the presence of the * may appear suddenly, when functionality is added to the OBiTALK portal that requires management of the parameter next to which the * appears.  We suggest that users uncheck the OBiTALK box for those parameters NOT marked with the *, when the particular parameter value is different for a configuration outside the realm of what is available in OBiTALK. Unchecking the OBiTALK box will ensure the custom value will not be overwritten by a future OBiTALK enhancement or modification.

Remember: If you want to configure a value for a parameter as your OBi Expert configuration setting, you must have both the "OBiTALK Settings" and "Device Default" check boxes UNCHECKED.  Only then, can you enter a new value to be submitted as an OBi Expert Configuration setting.

Finally, before jumping to a new page to check on settings or make modifications, please do not forget to select the "Submit" button for each page on which you have made a modification that you want to save to the device's OBi Expert configuration file.

oleg

Is there anything (beside wizard-style tricks) which can be configured only from OBi Expert portal area comparing with device web interface?
In other words does OBi110 web UI provide full control on all device features?

ShermanObi

QuoteIn other words does OBi110 web UI provide full control on all device features?

Yes.  

(paraphrasing from the announcement...)
OBi Expert Configuration provides almost all the flexibility of configuring the OBi via its integral web browser based UI, but leverages the Internet and OBiTALK servers to store and modify customized OBi configurations.

With this, the user has the ability to control configurations of OBi devices and services from anywhere.  

This capability is useful to Obihai customers and system integrators using Obihai products who wish to gain the usefulness of OBiTALK and flexibility that OBi Expert Configuration management provides.

Felix

At the risk of asking the obvious... is there a way to export configuration? I am testing with one ITSP, and when I am happy with how the settings work, I am changing to another one. True, most of the settings are in Voice Service menu; so I only need to change sip server and credentials - but still! If there is "Import" - there gotta be "Export"...  ???

As a small gripe - when I uncheck "OBiTALK Settings" in Expert settings, "Device Default" gets checked. So, if I want to follow your recommendation and control the settings from web page, I need to uncheck two boxes... Gets annoying after a while  :-\

Otherwise, it's an awesome gadget. I've had Sipura SPA-2002 for many years, and this is a big step forward!

jimates

You can only save the configuration from the device's web UI, not from the obitalk portal.
from the device's web UI
system management > device update > backup configuration

to manage the device from the device's web UI you disable auto provisioning
system management > auto provisioning > method = disabled

once you do that any settings made from the Obitalk Portal (including expert configuration) do nothing to the device. You don't have to uncheck any boxes.

But, if you want to go back and use the Obitalk Portal you will have to do all the configuration changes there before enabling auto provisioning or the device settings will be overwritten. This can be done by importing the configuration from a saved file.

Felix

Quote from: jimates on May 25, 2011, 05:55:39 AM
You can only save the configuration from the device's web UI, not from the obitalk portal.
from the device's web UI system management > device update > backup configuration
Thank you! Wow - it's hidden pretty deep  ;)

to manage the device from the device's web UI you disable auto provisioning
system management > auto provisioning > method = disabled
Actually, it's the opposite from what I want to do. I want to manage the device from the website. Sorry if my first post was confusing or ambiguous in that regard.

mdSeuss

I think the web based management that includes wizards to setup known providers, Expert mode to allow customizations above the wizards, and the whole remote management auto-provision that  keeps wizards, expert mode and custom items arranged together is just freaking brilliant!

Wow!  (Having slaved over any number of other ATA/SIP Phone configs over the years with far lesser capabilities than my Obi110, I think the Obi web portal is just awesome.)

Dale

I have noticed that most items have the little blue 'i' icon to provide additional information. Sadly however the content of the additional help is simply a repeat of the UI text.  For example:

Reset OBi Expert Config   -> the help text says: Reset OBi Expert Config

Providing a help link for us to hover over or click and then provide no additional content is actually worse than having no link! How about this: if you don't have help text don't display the 'info' icon.

It is not that you don't always have the text, for "Reset OBi Expert Config" you provide some text in this very thread: "Selecting this option will perform a reset of applicable OBi Expert parameters to their factory default setting"
- that is what should be in the pop up help text!

In the direct web access we have the same issue, there may be a setting called:

Enable X-widgetZoot.  Guess what the help text would say: Checking this enabled the X-widgetZoot. In essence the help is in fact describing how to use a UI. It should be providing content.

I like the Obi products and I want to see you succeed. But you need to get an intern or student or someone to enter the proper text for you..!

Dale

I prefer using the ObiExpert over the direct web access for 2 reasons:

1) remote management is possible without having to direct router ports to Obi devices
2) it handles the rebooting of the device

However, there a few items that are not available via ObiExpert that I can see...

a) network parameters DHCP, Static IP and ports
b) Call history

If I have overlooked these in the ObiExpert UI please direct me to them.

Is it possible to show a table of which items cannot be set with ObiExpert?

It seems that items that are only set via direct web access do not get overwritten by ObiExpert (which is good) can you confirm that?

ShermanObi

@Dale: Since you asked so nicely,  ;) the following status items have been added to the OBiTALK expert web pages:

Status
  System Status
  Call Status
  Last 10 Calls
  SP1 & SP2 Stats
  PHONE & LINE Status

To see this information, your device will need to be up-to-date with 1.3 software.

On overwriting items, the OBi Expert configuration will be used when both the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.  Parameters set by direct web access to the device's IP address (***1) will be overwritten by the OBi Expert setting if that parameter's OBi Expert setting has the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.  This is why it is a good idea to back up your device's configuration (System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration) and then import the config. to the device using the OBi Expert Import function.

QBZappy

This might have already been noticed. I'm seeing what seems to be some corrupt values in the Expert configuration page as compared to my OBi110 unit in both of these places:

Service Providers->ITSP Profile A/B->SIP
Service Providers->ITSP Profile A/B->RTP
DSCPMark=0x68 (Expert) ??
DSCPMark="XX" digit (OBi unit)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DaveSin

I can also confirm the same here.  However, my DSCPMark value is different for the SIP and RTP...one is 2 digit number and the other a 3 digit number, which is different that what is shown on the corresponding OBiTALK web page.  I'm not getting the corrupted values reported elsewhere.

Quote from: QBZappy on October 25, 2011, 10:17:18 PM
This might have already been noticed. I'm seeing what seems to be some corrupt values in the Expert configuration page as compared to my OBi110 unit in both of these places:

Dale

Quote from: ShermanObi on October 25, 2011, 06:15:46 PM
@Dale: Since you asked so nicely,  ;) the following status items have been added to the OBiTALK expert web pages:

Status
 System Status
 Call Status
 Last 10 Calls
 SP1 & SP2 Stats
 PHONE & LINE Status

To see this information, your device will need to be up-to-date with 1.3 software.

This is great thank you. I can now see those items which is a step forward.

1) I think I see a potential (copy and paste) bug. The gateway value is also showing in the DNS 1 field. Is that correct? (my direct access is empty for DNSServer1 and DNSServer2 but the ObiExpert Ui shows my gateway value there...

2) The ability to set these values via ObiExpert is desirable. (Read/write)

Dale

On overwriting items, the OBi Expert configuration will be used when both the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.
yes that is clear.

Parameters set by direct web access to the device's IP address (***1) will be overwritten by the OBi Expert setting if that parameter's OBi Expert setting has the OBiTALK and Default settings check boxes are left UN-checked.

yes, I think that is stating the same thing. OK so far...

But, take the "AddressingType" setting for example... in the direct access UI there are two choices:
Static
DHCP

For this parameter, there is nowhere in the ObiExpert UI that I have found where this choice can be made. It now displays the value, but no change can be made.

This parameter can thus only be set via direct access. So the question was: Can you confirm that using ObiExpert will not overwrite this parameter? (This seems to be the case, and is logical.) For example, after setting my devices to use Statiic IP addresses and then enabling ObiTalk Auto Provisioning to 'Periodicically'. I see that the "AddressingType" setting survives and is not overwritten by ObiExpert.

If this is the case it would be nice to see a list of items that are read only in ObiExpert and require direct access to be modified.

This is why it is a good idea to back up your device's configuration (System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration) and then import the config. to the device using the OBi Expert Import function.

Are you implying that importing the config backup from the direct access into the ObiExpert area, that the "AddressingType" parameter would then be imported into ObiExpert (even though there is no UI for changing it)?

Since the current behavior seems to indicate that those items absent from ObiExpert do not get overwritten, what would importing the config achieve?

ShermanObi

You are correct that the parameter value will not be overwritten by the OBi Expert configuration if it is not in the OBi Expert configuration pages as a value that can be controlled with an OBi Expert configuration, i.e.  the OBiTALK and the Default Settings check boxes are unchecked.

If you have previously configured items on the device's local web interface and, as you have pointed out, these parameters can be controlled by OBi Expert, then importing them will ensure that the OBi Expert configuration gets updated to what the local configuration is at the time you 'switch' to using OBi Expert.

However, if your local configuration has only parameter settings that are not controlled by OBi Expert, then you are correct that importing this config will have no affect of the OBi Expert configuration for that device.

We will look into posting a list of parameters that are not currently controllable by OBi Expert.

DaveSin

After further testing, it appears the OBiTALK Web Portal setting relating to "DSCPMark" has being decoupled from the value on the Device Web Page (OBi Unit).  With the latest Firmware, "DSCPMark" requires a value  [0 - 63] and will not take any "value" in the form of "0x68" or "0xb8"

"DSCPMark" on the Device seems to default to 26 and 46 for the SIP and RPT respectively.  So, this is not a corrupt value issue.

Quote from: QBZappy on October 25, 2011, 10:17:18 PM

kasra

Hi
i just got one of those obi 100 and connected to the router when i pick up the phone and dial **9 222 222 222 i can hear the operator voice and every thing looks OK but when i try to ad the device and even dial the  code that obi add device page give me i can hear it says the number has been send to the server but it shows it fails to add the device is there any body can help me please and i was thinking is there any reset button

ProfTech

I've been learning how to use the Expert mode & Portal and discovered a couple of things the hard way. When you make a change in one of the screens and click "submit" at the bottom of the page, the Obi normally reboots itself within 60 seconds or so. So after you click submit, WAIT about 5 minutes before making a change on a new page and clicking submit again! You must give the unit time to reboot and settle before clicking submit again. If you go too fast, the unit can become corrupted. My unit did not brick but went into a rolling reboot and I had to reset to factory defaults and start all over.

2nd, As far as I've been able to tell "importing" a config into the expert mode doesn't work. I tried it 2 or 3 times and after I performed the import all of the critical fields were still blank in the expert screens. So I had to go through all of the screens by hand and enter them anyway. If I'm doing something wrong I would be glad to hear about it.

Corollace

Quote from: ProfTech on December 02, 2011, 02:29:36 PM
I've been learning how to use the Expert mode & Portal and discovered a couple of things the hard way. When you make a change in one of the screens and click "submit" at the bottom of the page, the Obi normally reboots itself within 60 seconds or so.

Yes, this is one thing annoying. I am afraid that the unit might be failed if there are too many rebooting. Would you (OBi) fix this in the future please?

ibotalk

so i dont get how to make change on the web portal---nothing in the intro i could understand explained how to do that.
everything seems locked in the default stteints
can you help
thanks