News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Questions from RonR's 'Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk Using SIP'

Started by CoalMinerRetired, November 21, 2012, 04:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoalMinerRetired

Thread referenced in title is here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

I have two specific questions:

1. It says "... a destination OBi's IP address or hostname." 
How do I find the hostname of my Obi110?  Background: I have an Obi202, administered locally. I look in my router's DCHP table and I see the name ('cause I can't find it anywhere in the 202' wan port access).  I also have an Obi110, administered via the OboiTalk Portal. Hostname in the router's DHCP table is blank.  The 202's name in teh router seems to correspond to the Status > Product Information > ModelName field. However same field in the 110 shows "OBi110," but blank in router's table.

2. Will this scheme work for Google Voice, if GV is the client I am trying to connect to? The writeup makes reference to both ends must be SIP clients, but I'm not exactly clear if this applies to an SP service configured for GV.  If not, the blurb at the end "If you don't have a SIP provider and SP2 is unused, the following will enable SP2 for SIP"  I'm not clear how the dialing would would work for that last scenario.

ianobi

1. I think RonR was trying to cover two situations.

(a) A local set up where all OBi devices and IP phones etc are behind one router. In this situation each address is simply the local IP address allocated by the router followed by the UserAgentPort of the sp service used. Let's say sp2 was used at default settings then: 192.168.1.140:5061

(b) A "worldwide" set up for family and friends. In this case you need to use the public IP addresses of the routers involved (if static) or their dns type names e.g. @cmr.dyndns.org. Again, these need to be followed by the UserAgentPort number. Let's say sp2 was used at default settings then: anything@cmr.dyndns.org:5061

In (a) and (b) above the InboundCallRoute of sp2 can be used for the normal routing tricks using Caller ID from the incoming call, the same as the service actually configured on it.

2. You cannot use an spX with GV configured on it as SIP protocol is needed to make this work. However, calls into and out of GV can be routed to the spX with SIP on it using the usual call forwarding and InboundCallRoute rules of the spX configured for SIP being used. The DigitMaps etc work the same whether spX has a real service provider configured on it or the fake service provider RonR suggests.

I notice that in a current thread some users are worried about the OBiTALK network disappearing one day. Using this "single-stage dialling using  SIP", it is possible to build your own network between friends and family.

This might give some insight to a simpler set up that illustrates some of the points:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4609.msg30203#msg30203

I did forget to say in that post that I did have to set Voice Services > SP2 Service > MaxSessions > 4 to get multiple calls working through sp2.