News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ability to force a Pause in the dial plan

Started by QBZappy, November 23, 2012, 07:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Necessity is the mother of invention, the ability to enter a pause in the dialing sequence has been requested quite often. I suspect that it is technically not possible, it would be useful if something like 'S4' could be entered between digits to introduce a pause. Everyone who thinks this is a useful feature should add their +1 to this thread.

It would be very much appreciated if OBisupport could confirm to us if this is not possible for whatever reason.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

+1

At the moment pauses can be added into numbers being sent out via an OBi110 Line Port, but even that is not easy and requires changes to the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute.

SIP protocol sends a number out as one string. I guess what we would like to do is send a SIP number string, then a pause, then some DTMF digits?

Maybe someone with a more in-depth understanding of SIP than me would comment.

QBZappy

Grandstream5024 PBX dial plan explanation:

Digit Mapping
   (1)X: Match any digits from 0 to 9; (2) N: Match any digits from 1 to 9; (3) Z: Match any digits from 2 to 9; (4) [1, 3-5, 7-9]: Match any digits from 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9;

Example: For 6XNZ[1-5],123456, the first digit is 6, second digit is any digit from 0 to 9, third digit is any digit from 1 to 9, fourth digit is any digit from 2 to 9, fifth digit is any digit from 1 to 5, ',' will cause 5 second delay, followed by number '123456'; For '7.', the first digit is 7, the following '.' allows any digits to follow, for example, 7, 72, 798, 7712, 777000, etc.

If the dial plan in a Grandstream product can accommodate a pause ',' as can be seen in the above user guide, I can assume that there is no technical reason why it can not be done.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

claude

just great ! thank for your help this is what i was looking for . ;) :)

if i have sp3(1514xxxxxxx)ph 

where i put the pause and the extention or the dial number       

i need 3 seconds and  extention or dial number is 22
claude

Shameless

This is needed, why we can't use a small s followed by a number from 1 to 9 inserted into the phone number I don't understand, seems easy to do in software. Or how about a P for pause?

eacosta

+1

I need this feature in order to route a long distance call through a provider that requires me to first send my authorization code.

Ostracus

QBZappy

The title says "Text String Notation for Dial Sequences and Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN)".

Not clear about how this applies to sip. It sounds like pause/wait codes referenced here are for PSTN standards. However I remember Michigan Telephone mentioning something a looooong time ago that he used "w" or "p" as a pause. (How's that for remembering a useless detail! Don't ask me what I ate for breakfast though)

http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3601.html (Relevant section)
2.1 The "phone-string" definition

The text representation of the Dial Sequence elements is defined in the phone-string specification:
          phone-string = 1*( DTMF / pause / tonewait / written-sep )
         DTMF = ( DIGIT / "#" / "*" / "A" / "B" / "C" / "D" )
                         ; special DTMF codes like "*", "#", "A", "B",
                         ; "C", "D" are defined in [1].
                         ; Important Note: these elements only apply for
                         ; alphabetic strings used in DTMF operations.
                         ; They are NOT applicable for the alphabetic
                         ; characters that are mapped to digits on phone
                         ; keypads in some countries.
          pause = "p"
          tonewait = "w"
          written-sep = ( "-" / "." )
    Note:
    DTMF are the "DTMF elements", pause and tonewait are the "actions" and written-sep are the "separators".

The "pause" and "tonewait" elements interpretation of the phone- string depends on the specific devices and implementation using the specification. Thus their exact meaning is not mandated in this document. The next section provides some examples drawn from common practice. Both "pause" and "tonewait" are case insensitive.

Implementation of "pause" and "tonewait":
      -  one instance of a "pause" SHOULD be interpreted as a pause of
         one second between the preceding and succeeding dial string
         elements;
      -  a "tonewait" SHOULD be interpreted as a pause that will last
         until the calling party hears a dial tone or another indication
         that more dial string characters may be processed.  An off-hook
         indication MAY also be interpreted as this kind of indication
         (meaning that the audio channel has been opened to the
         receiving party);
      -  because these characters are not a part of the GSTN subscriber
         address (telephone number) per se, any dial string characters
         that succeed either a "pause" or "tonewait" SHOULD be sent
         using DTMF signalling.

The use of written-sep elements is allowed in order to improve human readability of the phone-string. The written-sep are elements which can be placed between dial elements, such as digits etc. Any occurrences of written-sep elements in a phone-string MUST NOT result in any action. Conformant implementations MAY drop or insert written-sep into the phone-string they handle.

The phone-string definition is used in the following sections to explicitly describe the encoding of some specific subcases where it applies.

giqcass

Long live our new ObiLords!