News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 202 faxing

Started by moefoe, November 30, 2012, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moefoe

I just setup my my obi202 and google voice number and plugged in my fax machine, does anyone know how to get it to receive and send faxes.

giqcass

I don't think fax works correctly using Google Voice.  Someone chime in if I'm wrong about that.
Long live our new ObiLords!

carl

GV does not support fax to my knowledge. You have to get account with voip providers like callcentric for that.
But even the, voip and fax do not mix too reliably.
Btw, why do people still need fax? ::)

Ostracus

Quote from: carl on November 30, 2012, 05:01:34 PM
GV does not support fax to my knowledge. You have to get account with voip providers like callcentric for that.
But even the, voip and fax do not mix too reliably.
Btw, why do people still need fax? ::)

Short answer. Requirement of either the sender or receiver (usually legal).

lhm.

Fax has always worked for me through GV (GrandCentral) in and out w/PAP2 & Obi100. YMMV

giqcass

I don't think we need fax anymore either, but....   Many companies have a strict policy about not asking for private information via email which includes PDF attachments.  That only leaves three methods for getting documents.

Outdated fax.
Slow snail mail.
Direct server uploads.  <<< Many companies don't support this.

That leaves me sending one or two faxes per year. Google doesn't "officially support" faxing.  I've heard other people say they have used it to varying degrees of success.  I haven't tried myself.  This might be a good time to pick up a fax machine from a garage sale lol.
Long live our new ObiLords!

jjtricket

Faxing works fine using my obi202 and Google Voice.

There are many threads that are related, just search!

example:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3563.0