News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi and Google Voice...Step-By-Step from the Beginning for Beginners

Started by welkiner, November 27, 2012, 03:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welkiner

Though I am a computer and network engineer, one month ago, I had never used a smart phone and knew very little about Google Voice. (Even less than I thought...definitely a beginner)

Special thanks to jimate on this forum who's information on Callcentric setup in conjuction with Google Voice made my wified mobile phone and Obi work flawlessly together on Google chat.

I hope this step-by-step will save someone from all of the detours and dead ends that I encountered before I arrived here.

Obi202 with GoogleVoice & Callcentric: Android with GrooVeIP & Voice

My Equipment and Apps:
   OBI202 from Amazon $74.99
   Ported my T-Mobile number to Google Voice  $20.00
   New Google Voice Number  Free (on 2nd Gmail/GV account)
   Callcentric Free NY DID number with Free SIP account
   Callcentric 911  $1.50 Setup and $1.50/month
   Samsung Galaxy Victory from Ting  $136.00 (No Contract)  So far about $15/month
   GrooVe Ip App from Play Store  $4.99
   Google Voice App aka Voice  Free from Play Store

After a month of planing, porting, and mistakes, it all came together and everything is working Great!
So here's what worked...

1..Connect Obi202 to router and phone/s following the first 3 steps of Obi202 Quick Start Guide.

2..Gmail...on computer, not phone.
Go to google.com.
Click on Gmail on the black bar at the top of the page.
Setup a Gmail account.

3..Google Voice...on computer, not phone.
From your Gmail account click on More on the black bar at the top of the page, from the drop down menu click on Even More.
This will take you to the Google Products page. On this page find and click on Voice.
Setup your Google Voice account. (Get a new Google number (Free) or port your number ($20)), or both (on 2 different accounts).
[If you port, you will have to setup a Google Wallet Account]
[New numbers work immediately. Ports take 24 hours (mine took 104 hours)]

3.2..Back to Gmail inbox
Click on the phone symbol and make 1 call to any phone that you can answer.
You don't have to talk. Just answer it and hangup.

3.3..Back to Google Voice Inbox
Click the Gear symbol in the upper right and select Settings.
Be sure that Google chat is checked or GrooveIP and Obi will not connect later.

4..Callcentric...still on computer. (Needed for 911 and to make GrooveIP and Obi202 work together through Google chat!)
[If you don't want 911 don't register with US or Canadian address.]
Go to callcentric.com. Click on Receive Calls. Click on Get a number to the right of Free Phone Number.
[The number and account are free,but the 911 will cost you $3.00 ($1.50 for setup and $1.50/month.)
Setup your Callcentric account and select your free NY number. (Important! Remember Password for this account!)
They will automatically email you all information EXCEPT PASSWORD.
Important things you will need from this account:
   SIP number 1777xxxxxxx
   DID(phone)number 1xxxxxxxxxx
   Password!

5..GrooveIP...on your mobile phone. (For Wifi Calling) (For Android...other apps available for iphone.
From Play Store or your app store, buy and Install GrooveIP. (Go ahead and spend $4.99 for the full version. It's worth it.)
After installation, tap GV (GrooveIP app). Tap Menu and select Change User.
Google Voice Username=your Gmail address that you setup above. Password=Gmail password.
Back in GV (GrooveIP app), Tap Menu and select Settings. Uncheck Allow3G/4G Calling unless you want it on.
Check Accept calls on answer. Tap Native Dialer Options and select Built-in Dialer Preference.
Select Use GrooVe IP on Wifi only. Back in Native Dialer Options, check Native Fallback.
Back to GV settings and select Miscellaneous. Select Notifications and check each item.
Back to Miscellaneous and select Startup and check Autostart. Back to Miscellaneous and check Allow Rotate.  Select Default Area Code and enter your 3 digit area code. Check Groove IP Call Log and Native Call Log.

6..Obi202...on computer.
Go to obitalk.com and create an account. Log into your account and add your device (Obi202) and set your time zone.
Click on SP1 and select Google Voice. Enter your Area Code, Gmail Address, and Password and click on Submit.
Click on SP2 and select Callcentric. Unselect "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out From" on both phones.
Check Use this Service for Emergency 911 Calls (only after you have received email confirmation from Callcentric that 911 is working).
Enter Callcentric Number (SIP number 1777xxxxxxx) and Callenctric Password and click on Submit.
Click on OBI Expert Configuration. Click on Enter OBI Expert. Scroll down the left side and click on SP1 Service.
Locate X_InboundCallRoute and uncheck both check marks to the right of this entry.
Edit the Value to look like this {(13369990000):ph1}. Replace the number part with 1+ your 10 digit Google Voice number.
Scroll down and click on Submit. Go back to your Device Configuration page and be sure that SP1 is Connected and SP2 is Registered.

6.3..Back to Google Voice Settings for Final Setup...on computer
If you haven't already, add your mobile phone.
Add your Callcentric phone using the DID phone number from your Callcentric account...not the SIP number.
Make sure Google chat and all phones are checked for forwarding, including Callcentric.
Now uncheck Google chat and wait a moment for the changes to be saved. Then check Google chat again and allow to save.

Done!...Unless you want to keep your mobile phone number private and only show Google Voice number
In that case you need Google Voice app.

7..Google Voice App...aka Voice...on mobile phone
Get Google Voice App, aka Voice from Play Store. It's free! Install it. Tap Voice. Tap Menu and select Settings and select Making calls.
Choose Use Google Voice to make all calls. Don't worry. GrooveIP will override it when Connected to Wifi!

If you have a 2nd Free Google Voice number on another Gmail account it can be added to the OBI202.  This will also allow you to bypass GV Voice Mail and call other GV phones on the same account, and vice-versa other GV phones (even connected through Google Chat) can call your Obi phones.

8..Add 2nd GoogleVoice Number to Obi
Be sure that Google Chat is checked on in the Google Voice Settings for 2nd account.
Go back to obitalk.com.  click on SP1,  Unselect "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out From" on Phone2, and click on Submit.
Click on SP3 and select Google Voice. Unselect "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out From" on Phone1 Enter your Area Code, Gmail Address, and Password for 2nd  account and click on Submit.
(Alternatively, you can leave both outbound phones checked on SP1 and unchecked on SP3 and use **3 to call out on 2nd line.)
Do not edit the inboundcallroute on SP3 and Do Not connect any other phones through Google Chat to the 2nd account.
If you don't have a 2-line phone or a 2nd phone attached to the OBI202, you can still use the 2nd line by dialing **3 and the number you want to call.

Hope this helps,

wb

dzblue

Excellent post and instructions. Thank you. I followed your instruction for an Obi110.

On step #6, shouldn't SP2's "Locate X_InboundCallRoute" be the one changed to {(13369990000):ph1} instead of SP1?

VOIPisGreat

welkiner

@dzblue

On step #6, shouldn't SP2's "Locate X_InboundCallRoute" be the one changed to {(13369990000):ph1} instead of SP1?

[/quote]

No, It must be changed on SP1.  The purpose of the rule edit is to offload all other inbound calls to sp2.  This is what enables your cell phone to connect to the same gmail (Google chat) account as the Obi without conflict.  The edit must be on SP1.

welkiner

@dzblue

If you don't make this change on SP1, you will find that you cannot receive inbound calls on the obi while the cell phone is signed into the same account.

welkiner

Quote from: VOIPisGreat on November 30, 2012, 05:31:23 PM
Any reason why you opt not to use obion?

I read that Obion would not integrate with the native dialler, so I opted to try GrooVeIP first.  My primary goal was to get gv working to and from all my phones.  This was the first method I tried and everything is working great.

Any reason why I should have opted to use obion? 

dzblue

Quote from: VOIPisGreat on November 30, 2012, 05:31:23 PM
Any reason why you opt not to use obion?

Aside from not integrated with Android's native dialer, I think ObiOn has to send voice traffic to your physical Obi device which is acting as bridge. Therefore, if you are outside of your subnet or local network, the traffic would needlessly traverse a lot more and possibly getting congested (affecting voice quality) before reaching GV.

Khoj

Welkiner,

This is great. Followed your instructions and got GrooveIP working successfully.

But I am not having luck setting my 2nd Google Voice account. After making sure SP1 (1st GV account) + SP2 (Callcentric account) working, I configured SP3 for 2nd GV account and here is how the routing looks:

Phone Port Configuration Summary
                                                              Phone 1          Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:   SP3                SP3
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:         SP1,SP2,SP3   SP2
Voicemail Notification Alert from:               SP1,SP2,SP3   SP2
Emergency Service Call Routes to:             SP2                SP2

I want to connect only one phone on "Phone 1" line and want to receive and place calls for both GV accounts from Phone 1. I want 2nd GV (SP3) to be the primary (default) line for placing calls and want to use **1 + number to call out from the 1st GV (SP1).

But incoming calls for 2nd GV number aren't ringing at OBi202 and goes to 2nd GV voicemail. Also, whenever I call out (without **1 or **3), caller ID on receiving end shows 1st GV number. And if I use **3 + number, it then shows my 2nd GV number.

Can you (or anyone else) suggest what might be causing 2nd GV number not ringing at OBi202 and also why it's still using SP1 as the default line to call out?

Thanks