News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IPv6

Started by wolfv, November 28, 2012, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfv

I am hesitant to purchase an OBi because it does not support IPv6.

OBIHAI may be reluctant to spend on software development costs for hardware they have already sold when they are poised for new sales from IPv6-ready equipment.

Is anyone else concerned about OBi's lack of IPv6 support?

Lavarock7

Do you have a router and ISP that supports IPv6?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

wolfv

Quote from: Lavarock7 on November 28, 2012, 05:43:02 PM
Do you have a router and ISP that supports IPv6?

No.  But eventually it will all be IPv6.

Rick

Quote from: wolfv on November 28, 2012, 10:27:55 AM
I am hesitant to purchase an OBi because it does not support IPv6.

OBIHAI may be reluctant to spend on software development costs for hardware they have already sold when they are poised for new sales from IPv6-ready equipment.

Is anyone else concerned about OBi's lack of IPv6 support?

Nope.  Since my understanding is that on the internet I have ONE address, which is my router, which supports IPv6.  Devices in my home are given an address by the router, which does NOT have to be IPv6. 

Ostracus

NAT has been a bugaboo for a lot of devices, including ATAs. IPv6 will help in resolving that issue.

wolfv

Ostracus is right, IPv6 would eliminate the NAT traversal problem.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal#The_NAT_traversal_problem

Routers may still have NAT for the purpose compatibility with old IPv4 devices.  It makes sense for OBIHAI to wait and rewrite OBi software when it is needed, which may be several years away.

After thinking about it some more, I am no longer worried about the IPv6 issue :).  Thank you for your inputs.

giqcass

All of your equipment will be out of date before this becomes an issue.  Most of my stuff is IPV6 ready. I can use IPV6 on my home network but it does me no good whatsoever because my ISP doesn't support it.  Most ISPs don't support IPV6.  I really don't see a reason to worry about it yet.  I must admit I am waiting for the day it get's turned on.

Test your IPV6 readiness here.
http://test-ipv6.com/

Long live our new ObiLords!

Ostracus

You can get a tunnel through Hurricane Electric if your ISP isn't ready (mine isn't).

giqcass

I looked into getting a tunnel and I can't see any plus side.  It seems to me the only thing it would really do is increase latency and cost money.  Google actually recommends not using a tunnel unless you have a darn good reason.  What are the benefits?

Shameless

The SIP spec already takes care of both IPV4 and 6   During DNS lookup an A record is issued for IPV 4 and an AAAA record is issued for IPV 6. The proper record is properly resolved in the 110/202 resolver, unless it's busted.  This leaves you with having to worry about the router function only. If your 202 is behind a IPV 6 ready gateway router to the Internet you should be okay, though different ISPs may handle things differently. Not sure about google jingle for google voice.  How it gets through NAT , PAT, I dont know. Maybe someone out there could fill this in?

giqcass

I don't know the details but Google is a big supporter of IPV6 so you can bet they support it.  Windows has supported IPV6 since at least Vista but if any piece of hardware doesn't support it then you are stuck with IPV4 without a tunnel.  So I don't believe the fact that the SIP spec supports IPV6 means our OBis do.  If the Obi can't connect to an IPV6 address then it will still use IPV4 addressing for any protocol.  At some point that could be translated to IPV6 before it reaches it's destination but that isn't the same as IPV6 support.

I consider the fact that OBI has not weighed in on this in any fashion to mean they don't support IPV6.

Shameless

IPV6 has been in the SIP spec for a long time. I would be surprised if OBI doesn't handle it. But then does your router or modem or ISP all handle it, doubtful. So I suggest you don't worry about it for now.

giqcass

I looked through everything just to end this debate.  I'm on the pre-release firmware.  The Obi does not have a setting for a default IPV6 gateway.  That means it can't even make the first hop over IPV6.  That means it cant do IPV6 period. 

By the way my router and modem absolutely support IPV6.  I made sure before I bought them.

Shameless

Just to straighten things out a bit.
All SIP resolver software is supposed to do a DNS quiry for the ip address. If the resolver gets back an A record it is supposed to use the IP address from the A record, which is an IPV4 address. If it gets an AAAA record it is supposed to use the IPV6 address in the AAAA record. In this way the phone should handle both IPV4 and IPV6 records at the same time seamlessly, depending on what it gets back from the DNS quiry. Well, at least it's supposed to. This would mean that if you set up your own DNS server it will work either way. SIP standards are quite clear on this.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Shameless on December 14, 2012, 08:28:58 PM
IPV6 has been in the SIP spec for a long time. I would be surprised if OBI doesn't handle it. But then does your router or modem or ISP all handle it, doubtful. So I suggest you don't worry about it for now.
I'm 100% certain an Obi202 and 110 do not do IPv6.  Why/How? No mention of IPv6 in any of the manuals, or in any of the configuration interfaces. And in case they just 'left it out,' I've been watching the Google feature (bottom of Gmail details > Activity on this account) that lists current past account connection activity. And all mine are IPv6 except what I determined -- via process of elimination - are the Obi connections.

A few weeks ago I learned Comcast has enabled IPv6 in my area, in so called dual stack mode (meaning IPv4 and IPv6 work natively on the same network, no 4x6 tunnels, no ISATAP). I spend a few hours figuring out how to configure the router for this (key point: stateless prefix delegation), and it all started working.  Now any IPv6 capable adapter on any host on the home network gets it's own (actually multiple) IPv6 address and the individual application chooses which protocol to use.

I can confirm Google and almost all it's products seamlessly use IPv6, this includes GV, Gmail, search, YouTube, etc. Firefox and Chrome both have a nice simple add on that shows which protocol is used on any Web page.

It's a somewhat satisfying feeling seeing this work and knowing one is out ahead of the curve on it.  I suppose that is a little bit of chest thumping.

Lavarock7

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on April 17, 2013, 07:23:49 PM
It's a somewhat satisfying feeling seeing this work and knowing one is out ahead of the curve on it.  I suppose that is a little bit of chest thumping.

Having been involved with hardware and software business since computers had toggle switches, I can tell you that to be on the leading edge of technology is not necessarily the best place to be.

Sure it's fun to play and test, but oftentimes as a technology is rolled out, certain assumptions are proved wrong and large changes are needed to fix the problems. because not many people are though to be effected, the changes may be rolled out without warning.

A typical example of not-fully tested software was the recent Microsoft patch that was immediately pulled because of major problems with users not able to boot their computers. Although tested, in actual usage it failed on a large enough scale.

In a large computer company where I worked, a Tech sent out a small patch to an addon piece of equipment that connected to our mainframe computers. Within seconds, hundreds of mainframes across the country went down. Because we used as segmented WAN, we were lucky that customer equipment was also not effected.

We were lucky that we could reproduce the problem, assemble a fix and roll it out the same day. Not every case is that easy to fix.

In Georgia the "phone company" installed fiber to the street (then LAN to the house). We were not the first neighborhood to get it, but still were on the leading/bleeding edge of technology when it failed and the phone company took almost a week to get repair parts and figure out what was wrong. It still took them most of 6 months to make it work smoothly.

When we were testing software, the general rule of thumb was to always skip versions that ended in .0, ie 1.0, 5.0, etc), reasoning that there were big bugs and those would soon be uncovered and fixed very soon with a .1 or .2 version.

We perfered to wait for people like you to test, report problems and force a .1 version before we even spent time on it :-)

THANKS!
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

CoalMinerRetired

I'm not so sure this is considered new.  It (the standard) has been around since the 1990s. Comcast evidently has about 1% of their 30 million home subscriber user base actively using it. Interesting discussions on bbr on the subject.

Shameless

It looks like OBI does not support IPv6 yet. Thats a problem.