News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Question regarding price

Started by Hawkbug, November 28, 2012, 12:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkbug

When looking at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI

The description of the device says:

"Works with Google Voice for FREE calls to the USA and Canada through the end of 2012"

So, is the implication here that this service won't be free in 2013? The answer to that question greatly affects my decision to recommend this product to friends and family.

infin8loop

Only the bean counters at Google know if and when Google Voice will no longer be free. It could very well continue to be free in 2013 or not. Google plays things close to the vest.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

lhm.

They have in the past 2 years announced in December, before Christmas.

Hawkbug

So, it's Google talking about the price - not OBi? I thought it was a question of whether or not OBi could continue to let us set up with GV to call for free or not.

giqcass

Obi and Google have no affiliation whatsoever. Obi was simply inventive enough to create a device that could tie in to Google Voice.  Obihai can't guarantee Google will continue to provide Google Voice for free or outgoing calls for free.  For now it's likely to remain free but no one really knows (accept Google).  At any rate if you wait a couple of week Google will probably make the announcement for next year.

Sip is very competitive and will remain less expensive then traditional POTS service even if Google starts to charge . The Obi will remain a stand out product.  Plus if your friends and family also have Obi devices you can call each other free using the Obi numbers.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

In addition to OBi having nothing to do with whether GV continues to be free or not, OBi has no control over whether GV will work with the OBi.  The companies appear to not discuss anything.

Months ago GV made a change that had the unfortunate consequence of blocking the OBi from using GV.  OBi rushed and made a change in less than a day (as I recall), and things were fine.  But there doesn't appear to be any guarantee that GV won't make a future change that could possibly block the OBi device.  No reason we know of that they would, but no guarantee that they won't.

If you are thinking of buying an OBi so you have free calling for life via Google Voice, you shouldn't.  They payback from switching from a POTS (plain old telephone service) to an OBi with free GV is less than two months for most people, some do it in less than 1 month.  After that, you're making money.  So, for as long as it works, enjoy.  If it's not free and they start charging a few pennies per minute, that's life.

Lavarock7

I agree with previous posters. Grandcentral, then when it became Googlevoice has been free for many years. It may or may not remain free in future years. Take advantage of if while you can.

As for Voip devices, most use company servers to allow you to call between like devices or to use the internet to call people with POTS (plain old telephone services). If the company goes out of business, the calls may well end and you are left with 1/2 a set of bookends.

The Obi device has a couple of things going for it. Yes, it also uses Obi servers to talk between units for free. If Obi goes out of business, those calls would likely stop. Obi also is one if not THE only device that can use GoogleVoices service. Although GoogleVoice allows free calls to the US and Canada, it also allows paid calls to international numbers. Google may or maynot continue the free calling feature; who knows. Still, the paid international calls might continue.

The Obi also allows you to configure many other VOIP services, in some cases 4 or more. This allows you to continue to use the device even if Obi AND Googlevoice stop providing services. Thus, you are assured that you can still use your device for a long time. That is a plus of the Obis over other Voip devices.

Because these devices have the ability to access those 3 types of services, they are more complicated, yet more versatile. With the competitions OOMA, you plug it in and you can make calls. At least with these Obi devices you have routing and other items not available with other devices.

I think they are good investment whether Google continues to offer free calls or not.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com