News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up fixed URL for DDNS (zoneedit.com) - OBi110 behind AirPort Extreme

Started by dinlaca, November 28, 2012, 10:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinlaca

So I set up my OBi110 to work with Android Csipsimple per the following thread:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4647.0

I have my OBi110 behind an Apple AirPort Extreme (Gen 5) router.

But, since I have a dynamic IP address and want to ensure continuity of service, I want to change the Csipsimple-programmed hard coded 00.00.00.00 external IP address of the router (which can be changed by IP provider) to a Csipsimple-programmed URL domain name (which won't be changed, since its record will be updated by DDNS service).

The way I see it, I have two choices.

Choice 1:  I can setup my Apple AirPort Extreme router's WAN Bonjour DNS services through some version of what is described here (http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/ ).  I would like to make it work through my free (grandfathered)  www.zoneedit.com DNS service (and I have inquiries into their tech support re: the URL of their DNS updating servers and how to generate and use their TSIG file to permit my AirPort Extreme to do with them what could be done with dyn.com).

Choice 2:  I can somehow setup my OBi110 to broadcast itself through the Apple AirPort Extreme to make itself be known to zoneedit.com, and then set up an appropriate A DNS record to have nameservers point to the right location for my OBi110.

I am probably mixing and matching all kinds of technical terms in inappropriate ways, but any help or guidance to assist me in getting this setup would be much appreciated.

Thanks again to this great community.

giqcass

The Obi doesn't currently do what you want.  I suggest downloading one of the DNS update clients zoneedit recommends.  That will update the DNS when you use your computer. 
Long live our new ObiLords!