News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Spoofing caller-id on a per call basis

Started by Gavo, December 05, 2012, 02:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

Hello,
In the UK we have 0845 numbers - a non-geographic number. These invariably terminate on a local UK number. Some companies provide you with a local UK number to dial when you are abroad - for example for telephone banking.
My own bank does this, but when I dial the "local" number it replays a message saying that this is for customers calling from abroad, please redial using 0845............
Whilst my voip service is indeed abroad - they must be picking up my UK caller-id number. Is there a way of spoofing the caller-id for specific numbers (obviously for numbers regularly called) or indeed dropping the caller-id altogether ?

Cheers

Gavin

hwittenb

Your voip provider generally controls the caller id number that goes with a call.  I suspect your provider shows your local UK number as the caller id because you have an incoming number with them or you have specified you want a specific number shown as caller id.  You could setup a pay-as-you-go voip account with someone else and place the calls thru them.