News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Sniff, my husband has removed the OBI device

Started by Sophia, November 29, 2012, 10:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia

Ever since the OBI device was installed, our ISP went even wonkier than usual. We live out in the boonies, so it isn't the most stable at any given time, but it went crazy ever since we added the OBI110.

At first we thought it was the ISP (Telus), but a few days ago hubby removed the OBI device and everything went back to "normal" wonky, instead of crazy wonky.

Now... here is the bad news: he is adamant that the OBI should not be put back  :o :o :o He is not totally convinced of the savings, since we also have a Skype plan. He even doesn't care about all the other advantages - such as no more 10 digit dialing which was introduced in BC a few years ago, no more Skype subscription necessary, etc... he just wants a stable Internet.

It was just set up so nicely with FreePhoneLine and Google Voice etc, it all worked... I had even convinced him of going 100% VOIP with a prepaid cell plan. But truth is the OBI device did bring our connection down several times a day (or so it very strongly appears). It was impossible to watch Netflix for more than 10 seconds, for example, it went down and did not come back unless we reset the modem. That too is back to normal.

Can it be the OBI110 device that was butchering our network? I found this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2642.0 and this is exactly the type of problems we had. However short of starting a family row, I cannot test it out - as I said, he removed the device from the network and wants OBI gone for good.......... no more VOIP, no more convenience, whaaaaaaaaaa!!!  :'(

OBiSupport

Please contact Obihai Tech Support. 
A support technician can help you get to the root of the issue.

Email:  support@obihai.com
Call:  +1-408-634-5904

Please include your 9-digit OBi No.

giqcass

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right settings on your router.  You should Google your router and see what people say about it.  I have a small rural Cable/Internet provider and have had similar problems.

Let us know what router you have and maybe we can make a suggestion.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Sophia

Thanks, also Obi for the kind email. I really do want the OBi device back... but gotta keep my marriage happy too  ;D
I'll have to do some sneaky testing first I guess :) Our router is the D-Link DIR-655. Should I try that full-duplex setting I mentioned in the post above?

ProfTech

I would definitely try hard-setting the Obi to full duplex. You don't even need to have it connected to your router to make the change. Just connect a telephone to it and use the phone to make the change. Once the change is made, you can power it down and connect it to the network and test when it is convenient. The setting doesn't appear in the web screens. That is about the only thing I have seen on this forum that seems to sometimes make the network go crazy. Also, you may want to set the Obi to use a static IP address but this can be a little challenging to do depending on what router you are using.

Mango

Hi Sophia,

Did you get your technical issue solved?

There has been a massive volume of reports about problems with D-Link routers and VoIP, specifically the DIR-655.

If you can convince your husband, you can try navigating to Advanced>>Firewall Settings.  Under Application Level Gateway (ALG) Configuration, you should disable (uncheck) SIP.

I wouldn't be surprised if your D-Link router is actually the cause of your internet problems, not your ISP.  My sister has a similar (possibly the same) router and it has a bug that incorrectly classifies normal internet traffic as some kind of attack.  It was logging all the "attacks" and couldn't keep up with the logging, so performed very poorly.  Turning off logging solved the problem.  Whether this specifically is your problem or not, perhaps you could inspect the router's log to see if it gives you any clues.  I put "attack" in quotes because the traffic was actually my sister trying to watch videos on YouTube...no kidding.

One user reported being able to make VoIP work successfully after setting his ATA's DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2, instead of using the internal DNS server in the DIR-655.

Good luck,

m.

Sophia

Ok I know that this is an old, OLD topic now... but I just wanted to say I have put back the OBi device at long last (shhhh!)  ;D There was a firmware upgrade and I noticed that all the settings are reset too, so I'll probably have fun the coming days putting it all back.
What I think is perhaps the modem overheated... we had a similar problem later and obviously the OBi device was innocent for sure... so I have spread out the router, modem and OBi this time.
Will report back, and sorry for reviving such an old thread... I thought it should be okay since it's mine :D

Jackson

Reporting back with some details is ALWAYS a good thing, :)