December 16, 2017, 02:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Instructions for OBiON for Android  (Read 538441 times)
thunderstruck

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:27:00 am »

Another good idea killed by benign neglect.
joej

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 06:10:36 am »

Another good idea killed by benign neglect.
Very disappointing! They are still selling the hardware yet not updating the software. Useless piece of crap now.
AES768

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »

Why has development ceased on the Obi Android softphone app?
joej

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:24 am »

They simply keep selling the hardware and do not care about customers who purchase it. Not updated for 2 years!
Marty.ba.calif.usa

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:51 am »

I guess it works so well that they don't think it needs to be updated. Roll Eyes

I can get it to ring a phone, or ring my obi110, but there is no sound in either direction.  Anyone know if there are any softphones with the same functionality that actually work?
ianobi
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 03:43:22 am »

Many of us with Android devices use CSipSimple. It's free and very configurable. The easiest way to use it to connect to your OBi is to configure it with a free SIP account - sip2sip is a good one. Do a search on this forum for "CSipSimple" and you will find various examples of how to connect to your OBi.

OBiON is the only means by which you can terminate your OBi softphone number directly on your cell phone.
BruceB

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49:15 am »

I just installed OBiON on my Android phone yesterday, with the intent of being able to make calls when at home, using my OBi202/PhonePower VoIP.  Followed the minimal directions, doesn't work at all - you can enter a 10-digit phone # and tap on Call, but then nothing happens and the history shows a zero-length call that didn't connect.  Giving up for now.

But if anyone knows of Obihai's plans, if any, for making OBiON a working product, I am still very interested!

azrobert

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »

you can enter a 10-digit phone # and tap on Call, but then nothing happens

How is your OBiTalk inbound route configured?

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute

Are you connecting via WiFi?
N7AS

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 07:54:48 pm »

I thought I would try OBION once again. I installed it on my LG Optimus F6 from Google Play. Went to open it and once again it said thet OBION has stopped. This has happened on every android phone I have had in the past. What is the problem? It seems that everyone else can at least start the app.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
AxomiaDesi

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 05:24:54 am »

Use “WIFI KeepAlive” (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roy.wifimonitor) by Roys to keep Obion alive

Options are relatively straight forward …

Start on boot – check
Auto Start and Stop with Wifi Status – UNCHEK

I had  some luck....
lottamoxie

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 07:55:44 am »

I had Obion working last week on my Samsung Note 3 but today it's stuck on "Acquiring Service."

Also, I'm having the same problem with the Obion softphone client on my PC.  Stuck on "Acquiring Service" today.

Is anyone @ ObiHai aware of these problems today (May 27,2014)?

N7AS

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 08:49:03 am »

At least, someone had it working. All I could do was install the app. It never got a chance to even start.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
sailing

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:26 am »

A few years ago I bought an android tablet. I thought Obion was a great idea but it didn't work. It seems that when Android updated from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean, the Obion app was not updated to work with the latest Android version. Based on posts in this thread, it still is doing the same thing. It will register but you cannot get a call to connect.

The Csipsimple with Sip2sip works great. I don't have a phone on my tablet so there is no native dialer which means I have to make calls with the cryptic string so I don't use this method. If you have a smartphone, the filters in Csipsimple allow making calls easily. There is a thread somewhere in this forum explaining how to set this up.

If you have a voip service that allows subaccounts, you can use a softphone to make calls through your phone number. Zoiper is the only softphone I found that works on pc, android and mac.
dhobi

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:24 am »

This app should be removed from the app store. There's no point in keeping around an app that does not work and that has not been updated since 2011.
Usetheforceobiwan

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 12:04:51 am »

Almost three years later, still no updated software, still no speakerphone.  Come on Obihai !!

Almost four years later, still no updated software, still no speakerphone.  Come on Obihai who do you think you are, Cisco???
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:10:58 am by Usetheforceobiwan » Logged
Frovingslosh

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 01:19:49 am »

Just got my Obi100 and, lacking any good user manual, I've been sifting through forum threads to try to better understand it and it's complexities. This thread looked like it should answer many questions, but I'm at the end and still have more questions than answers. So any help or a link to what I missed would be very welcome. I'll staart with what I hope are two simple questions.

i can get the app to work, and figured out how to use Obitalk to set up a voice gateway to let calling from my imported contacts work. Do miss the speakerphone, but at least after finding this thread I now know the speakerphone issue isn't something wrong with me or my Android device. So lets start the questions with, after configuring my OBi voice gateway setting to my OBi100 9 digit number, is there any way to make calls to other OBi numbers? Anything with a **9 at the beginning fails (as it seems to be going out through the device to Google Voice, (my primary and default service) , and just trying to call a 9 digit OBi number directly now fails (still is routed to my home and the sent to Google). And I missing something obvious, or do I not have access to other OBi devices once I've set up 1 step calling?

I have multiple Android devices, both phone and tablet. I want to install Obion app on both. Having problems with that. If I just sign in to OBi from both devices, only one can be called (I think it is the last one to log in). I think I need multiple soft phone numbers, one for each Android device, but the only way to get unique device IDs for multiple soft phones seems to be to create a second Obitalk.com registration and manage the second soft phone from a different account. But if I do that then I can't configure the soft phone to use the Obi hardware device as a voice gateway. Maybe a second Obitalk account isn't the right approach after all, but how do I get multiple soft phone numbers assigned without doing that? Adding devices in Obitalk.com only seems to let me add actual hardware devices, not additional soft phones.
ianobi

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 05:59:22 am »

When calling from your android device dialling **9 xxx xxx xxx should call any other OBi device. This does not rely on your OBi voice gateway. As soon as you have "acquired service" you are connected to the OBiTALK servers. Dialling **9 followed by nine digits should directly connect you with the OBi device you have dialled. What happens when you dial the echo test :
**9 222 222 222

Setting up single stage dialling should not affect your ability to call other OBi devices.

After making calls please check Status > Call History to see how that call has been routed. This is only available via your OBi local web page. Dial ***1 for the ip address. Default username and password are both "admin".

When you set up your gateway, OBiTALK will have automatically changed this setting:
Voice Services > OBiTALK Service > InboundCallRoute
Please post what is there (change real numbers for privacy).

I want to install Obion app on both. Having problems with that. If I just sign in to OBi from both devices, only one can be called (I think it is the last one to log in).
Yes, that's how it works. The last device to log in will disconnect any other device with the same softphone number.

The softphone number really defines your account. You can add multiple OBi devices to one account, but each account can have only one softphone number. If you have several accounts each with its own softphone number, then you can arrange for any softphone to route calls through any OBi device. This is managed from your Dashboard > Circle of Trust > Requests & Invitations. The number formats to be dialled to enable this needs further explanation if you wish to achieve single-stage dialling. Alternatively, after you have gone through the Circle of Trust setup, then each softphone has access to the auto attendant of any OBi device that is within its Circle of Trust.

All softphones and devices may call each other.

Frovingslosh

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 08:45:03 am »

Thanks ianobi for your quick response.

Yes, the **9xxxxxxxxx approach seems to be working fine this morning. Sure didn't think it was last night. I'll refrain from posting in the middle of the night when my mind is still spinning from all of the new information that I'm picking up, it must have been user error.

Good to know that I'm on the right track creating a second account to get another soft phone number. There seemed to be previous posts in this thread telling people NOT to use the circle of trust to do what I was trying to do, but it does make perfect sense that the trust mechanism is what I need to work with to get to the hardware box from a second account created for a second soft phone. I'll attack that later today.

It is a real shame that there has been no further development on this app. I do understand that Obihai can only dedicate so much effort on a free tool that generates no revenue, but that brings up additional questions that I have been asking myself about what their long term business model is. Those question really belong in a separate thread though.

One last on-topic question that I have is about importing the contacts. My question is simply "Why did they do this?" Of course, I see the usefulness of having your contacts accessible from inside the OBiON app, but since the app can read the other contact list available to the Android phone, why not use that when needed rather than waste space duplicating it with an import and then let the two separate contact lists get out of sync?
ianobi

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 01:54:59 am »

Good to know that I'm on the right track creating a second account to get another soft phone number. There seemed to be previous posts in this thread telling people NOT to use the circle of trust to do what I was trying to do

This depends on how techy you would like to be with your OBi. All the Circle of Trust does is to change the rules here:
Voice Services > OBiTALK Service > InboundCallRoute

If you are happy to get techy and change the rules manually, then you can fine tune which OBi softphones / devices can dial through which OBi devices and also which routes they can use. For example the default position is that the softphone has access to your OBi device Primary Line only for single stage calling through the OBi device. It is quite possible to also give it access to all other services via single stage dialling if you are willing to set that up manually.

One last on-topic question that I have is about importing the contacts. My question is simply "Why did they do this?"
I really don't know!

Frovingslosh

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »

Thanks again for the response. I'm extremely interested in getting very techy with the OBi. It is a bit of a learning curve. I have a good software background but zero telco or SIP background. I'm busy trying to come up to speed. I feel the OBi really needs a manual that is more than the single sheet set-up guide that shows how to plug a telephone jack into a RJ socket, but somewhat less than the "Administration Guide". This site could really benefit from a wiki, and a key part of that might be a simple glossary to help us newbies work through all of the jargon.

But at least I feel I'm making progress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: