News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Backup obi202 configuration

Started by HHinFlorida, December 03, 2012, 12:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

se1961

My report for Excel 2003:

When I opened, I got the option to open as a read-only workbook, which I chose, because it requires the least amount of work from me. The dropdown arrow isn't on the column, but applying it was trivial: go to Data/Filter/Auto, and then check "blank." VoilĂ . Filtered list.

Question: what does "Use Obi Version" option do? On first glance, I don't see any difference between that and the workbook sheet I imported last night. 

jwcmb

se1961,

The "Use Obi Version" config backup option is explained in this section of the online Device Admin Guide:

http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506084

se1961

Asked and answered. Thanks for all your help. I believe my help ticket is closed.  ;)

jwcmb

Quote from: jwcmb on February 12, 2013, 10:01:09 PM
When I have a few minutes, I'd like to test out whether the configuration backup xml file can be read and transformed by either Google's online spreadsheet or the Excel WebApp.  Maybe someone's already tried that and can report on it.  But if not, I'd like to try it.

Well, I thought as an experiment I'd try this to see if I could do it, but I struck out on getting Google Spreadsheet or Excel Web App to import the backup configuration file and display it  online in tabular format.

Google Spreadsheet - I uploaded the xml file, selecting the "Convert documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and drawings to the corresponding Google Docs format", but it did not recognize the xml format and did not convert it to spreadsheet format. So it was simply uploaded as an unknown file type and viewing it online was not possible.  Google Spreadsheet has an importXML() function which can import xml from an URL, so I tried this in a new spreadsheet.  However, the importXML() function requires that the source file be public.  I was unwilling to open my backup xml file for public access, so I struck out.  However, I believe that importXML() might work if the file is publicly accessible.

As a test I downloaded the xml file I uploaded, and I could open it ok in Excel on my computer, so it's file format and contents were preserved during the upload to Google Spreadsheet.

Excel Web App - I uploaded the xml file to SkyDrive to see if Microsoft's Web App could recognize it or convert it.  However, the uploaded file could not be opened in the Web App and could only be opened by Excel installed on my computer. The uploaded online copy did open ok with Excel on my machine.  So again, I struck out with viewing it online.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: jwcmb on February 13, 2013, 07:10:32 AM
CoalMinerRetired,

I'm surprised that it didn't work when you tried the Excel import with version 2013. I'm curious as to whether the "Use Obi Version" option might be the reason.  I chose that option.  Did you use that option?  Perhaps it might make a difference in how Excel is able to transform the xml??

When I do the import into Excel 2013,  I first get a message saying "Please select how you would like to open this file:".  I went with the default choice: "As an XML Table".

Then I got a message saying: "The specified XML source does not refer to a schema. Excel with create a schema based on the XML source data."  After clicking OK, the data got imported ok.

The option causing the import to fail in XL 2013 is Incl. Running Status. Without this set of fields there, the import in XL 2013 works without issue. In XL 2007, it imports with no problem.

Now I can't let this go, so I looked for what field and value is causing the problem:
    <N>VoiceService.1.X_BT.1.Stats.</N> 
    <P>
      <N>BindingService</N>
      <V>_</V>
    </P>
The value between the Vs is the problem. In another that value appeared as "┐" or "┘". I'm not using BT, and I suspect only a reset to factory state will clear this oddity.