News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Port Forwarding... HELP!!!

Started by threehappypenguins, December 05, 2012, 08:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehappypenguins

This is the original thread I started http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4682.0 and I think my main problem is port forwarding. I am completely lost. I have no idea how to properly do port forwarding. I tried looking on the Obitalk forum here, and I have tried Googling how to port forward, but it seems as though every router is different. I tried Googling how to port forward in my specific router, which is the Motorola SBG6580.

I read this thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4647.0 and realized that I am trying to do this:

CSipSimple --> SIP2SIP -->  Router -->  OBi202  -->  AcroVoice(sp1) or GV(sp2)

I need to forward port 5062. I was told that I need to get a dynamic dns or a static ip. Do I need both a dynamic dns AND a static ip? And if I need a static ip, do I need a static ip for my router or my Obi? Or both? I noticed that my router has http://www.dyndns.org support, so I signed up for them, and changed my suffix in CSipSimple to be @userid.dyndns-wiki.com:5062

I added my dyndns account to the Motorola router under Basic > DDNS and enabled the DDNS service.

As for port forwarding, this is what I am looking at:

What am I putting in, and where? Where do I put my Obi202 IP address? Where do I put my IP address? Am I putting my local IP address (IPv4)? Or am I putting my public (external) one? Or am I putting neither and just the Obi? Is the Obi's local? Or does it have a public (external)? Am I choosing UDP Protocol? I am really REALLY lost!!!

And when I put in all that info, how do I test it to make sure that the port forwarding is working?

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

I thought you were taking a break from all this madness  :)

While we are waiting for an expert to come along, here's a couple of comments.

@userid.dyndns-wiki.com:5062 This should be enough to find your router and send calls to port 5062, which is sp3.

Many users, including me, put our OBi devices in DMZ while testing new configurations etc. This effectively forwards every port in the world to the OBi. Prove it works in DMZ, then try to sort port forwarding. My OBi spends days at a time in DMZ and has never come to any harm.

I see your router has a DMZ button, so press that. It will want the  address of the port connecting your Motorola router to the OBI. This can be found by looking in the OBi > WAN Status > IPAddress. It will look something like 192.168.1.10.

Let's hope an expert comes along soon - I'm not much good at this router type stuff   ::)

threehappypenguins

@ianobi

Yes, I took a break. I slept. That was my break!!!  ;D

Will DMZ work if the Obi is not connected to the router via WAN? It is connected via Wifi, so the IP address in the WAN status is (obviously) blank. I CANNOT connect the Obi via WAN. Ummmm... okay so you know how I said that my husband and I need to live cheaply? Well, our neighbour upstairs (we live in the basement of a house) lets us use her router WiFi signal for free. We offered her money, and she refused because I fix her computer and set up her internet and stuff for her. So while I have virtual access to the router, since it is in a separate apartment I do not have physical access to the router.

Hey, milk is about $6 a gallon (4L technically), and the sales tax out here is 15%. We need to make up for it somehow!!!  >:(

@QBZappy

I had already come across the link that you gave. It does not answer my question about whether I need a static IP address if I already have the dynamic DNS address (that I mentioned in my last post). Also, it does not appear to be asking for the same information as my router. My router is asking for both local and external start and end ports. The link does not specify. Also, in the link, the person is leaving the local IP address blank. Do I need to do the same? I thought I need to put the Obi IP address somewhere? This is why I said I was getting nowhere with Googling the subject... :-\

QBZappy

"So while I have virtual access to the router, since it is in a separate apartment I do not have physical access to the router."

Sorry I have to ask. What is the OBi connected to?

Putting the OBi in the DMZ is the quickest solution until you get the rest working.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

Your router does not need a static ip address. The dynamic dns is fine - it means that for this purpose CSipSimple can find your router.

Your OBI is connected to the router as it is working with AcroVoice and GV. If the connection is wifi, then there still must be a connection between the router and the OBi and that connection will have an IP address. It will probably be in the same range - 192.168.x.xx I cannot say if you can put that address in DMZ, but I don't see why not.

(Sales tax here 20%  >:()

threehappypenguins

@QBZappy

The Obi is connected to the air.  ;) Sorry... I could not resist!

It is connected via the WiFi dongle. I plugged it in the USB port in the back, configured it, and voila, wireless Obi202 connection! The Obi202 and the Obi302 are the only ones that you can connect via WiFi. So... how do I do DMZ without using the WAN?

@ianobi

I found this port forwarding tester http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

However, it keeps telling me that port 5062 is closed, no matter what I do. I tried putting in the IP address of the Obi (the IP address that I type in the address bar to access the Obi configuration) into the DMZ address in my router. Is that what I should be putting in?

(20%?!?!   :o)

threehappypenguins

Uggghhhh it is SO random. The port is saying closed and yet I tried to phone a (non-connected-to-Obi) phone number it rang the Obi. Earlier, NOTHING was happening and it would time out.

Here is the last thing it did (I hung up before I answered the Obi phone):

Call 112/05/2012    16:46:21
16:46:21From 'CallerID' SP3(userid)Fork to:
PH1
PH2
16:46:21      Ringing (PH1)
16:46:21   Ringing (PH2)
16:46:22   Call Ended          

ianobi

Yes, that's the correct address. I just tried that tester and it lies to me too! If the Motorola router accepts that 192.168.x.xx address in DMZ, then OBI probably is in DMZ.

If you activate wifi on your cell phone and try CSipSimple, then it should register with sip2sip.
Edit: sip2sip account on CSipSimple is required for calls in both directions.

That call looks hopeful - was that from CSipSimple?

(Yes 20%, but fresh food and milk is exempt)

ianobi

If the call from CSipSimple is calling the OBi phones, but not the intended number, then you might wish to check this:

Voice Services -> SP3 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute (Assumes Primary Line is set to sp2):

{(Mcot)>(<**7**1:>(Msp1)),(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<**7**2:>(Msp2)),(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<**7**3:>(Msp3)),(Mcot)>(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(Mcot)>(<**7**4:>(Msp4)),(Mcot)>(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(Mcot)>(<**7**9:>(Mpp)),(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>(<**7:>(**0)),(Mcot)>**0:aa},{(Mcot)>(<**7:>(***)),(Mcot)>***:aa2},{(Mcot)>(<**7:>(Msp2)),(Mcot)>(Msp2):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<**7:>(0)),(Mcot)>0:ph,ph2},{ph,ph2}

User Settings > User Defined Digit Maps > User Defined Digit Map2 > Label : cot
User Settings > User Defined Digit Maps > User Defined Digit Map2 > DigitMap : (aaaaaaaa)

Where aaaaaaaa is your sip2sip username.

Is the PrimaryLine still SP2 Service? Is aaaaaaaa your sip2sip username? You must put it in brackets in the DigitMap (aaaaaaaa).

If OBi does not recognise the correct details, then it will ring the phones using this rule: {ph,ph2}

Anyhow, I must leave OBiLand for today as it's late here. Keep posting, I will pick up any new info from you tomorrow.

threehappypenguins

@ianobi

I will double check the Digitmap & Incoming call info you gave me.

However, I still only get intermittent outgoing calls. My guess is that the port is opening and closing or some. When I get the timeouts on my Android, it doesn't matter what I try setting up in my router, it just will not work. I will attempt the DMZ, and I will try to port forward 5062, but nothing will make it work. That is why I started this thread. I figured that someone will tell me how to properly port forward. I still do not even know if I should be putting in the Obi202 IP address in the port forward information or not. If someone reading this will kindly tell me what to put in each line, that would be great! (and how to properly test if the port is open)

Because if it is not a port forwarding issue, then I would like to move on to something else.

(Milk and fresh food is not taxed here either, but everything else is. Even my electric bill. I pay $270 a month for a 400 square foot apartment!!!)

threehappypenguins

On my original thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4682.0 I posted the solution on how I got things working:

QuoteI started this thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4726.0 because the outgoing call was only going intermittently (sometimes would go through, sometimes would time out), and I figured it was a port forwarding problem. I think that setting dmz on my router (not the Obi) solved the problem. I still have yet to test the calls on a different network. Right now my Android is on the same WiFi network so we will see when it is connected elsewhere outside my home network.

The last problem I was having was the Android ALWAYS called the Obi. I could dial any number I wanted, it didn't matter. It would just go to the Obi. It was not recognizing my sip2sip username as a trusted number and so it was always being sent to the Obi. ianobi, you are the best! He helped me via messaging on this forum.

OBiAdminGuide:
Quoteliterals [in DigitMaps] - Any combination of 0-9,*,#,+,-,A-Z,a-z, except m, M, s, S, x, X which have special meaning in the digit map syntax.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm

RonR:
QuoteThe fact that you're reaching the PHONE Port means you're almost there.

The problem is likely that you don't have the username from your IP Phone in the cot User Defined DigitMap.  Look at the OBi Call History and make sure you're using the correct username.

Also, if there are any reserved characters (m, M, s, S, x, X) in the username, they have to be surrounded by single quotes.  For example, if the username is xlite, it would have to be entered in the cot User Defined DigitMap as : ('x'lite)
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

It turns out that the reason why my sip2sip account was not being recognized as a trusted caller by the Obi is because I had one of the reserved characters in my username. So in User Settings > User Defined DigitMaps > User Defined DigitMaps2 under DigitMap (if aaaaaaas is my sip2sip username) I had:

(aaaaaaas)

I changed it to:

(aaaaaaa's')

And it went through!!!!!!!!!