News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID? What works and what doesn't?

Started by kelemvor, December 02, 2012, 08:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelemvor

Hi there,

I was going to use an Obi with Google Voice like lots of other people do but am concerned with the lack of any caller ID working.  Is there any update on how to make this work?

Incoming caller ID - Numbers show up but no names?  Is there yet a way I can even program in numbers so that a name show sup that I put in there manually?  I've seen that request going around for a while now.

Outgoing - Does anything show up or does it all show as Unknown?  Does it at least show my number or is there a way to make it show?

Any options to make any of this work via 3rd party or anything else?

Thanks.

Rick

There are numerous discussions of this on the forum, which you can find using search.  On incoming calls, you can program the number and name into your phone, and it will display when that person calls.  You can use a third party to send name if you funnel through them, since GV does not supply name - i.e. it's a GV issue not an OBi issue.

On outgoing calls your GV number shows.

kelemvor

I did search first but all the threads I found were pretty old and I wasn't sure if they were still correct or not.

When you say I can program the data into my phone, do you mean I can program it into the Obi or I have to have an actual phone that lets me program in the numbers?  I'm using this form my land-line phones at home and don't know if they have the sort of feature.

It just seems it would be so simple for the Obi to contain a text list of number & name that I could program in through the web interface so when it gets a number from GV it can check the list and then pass the number and name aong to my actual phones.  Do we know if this is anything being worked on officially?

Thanks.

Rick

Quote from: kelemvor on December 03, 2012, 04:55:22 AM
I did search first but all the threads I found were pretty old and I wasn't sure if they were still correct or not.

When you say I can program the data into my phone, do you mean I can program it into the Obi or I have to have an actual phone that lets me program in the numbers?  I'm using this form my land-line phones at home and don't know if they have the sort of feature.

It just seems it would be so simple for the Obi to contain a text list of number & name that I could program in through the web interface so when it gets a number from GV it can check the list and then pass the number and name aong to my actual phones.  Do we know if this is anything being worked on officially?

Thanks.

On the requested new features area this has been requested for a very long time, and there are no indications that OBi intends to add this capability - i.e. programming a list into the OBi.  Keep in mind that GV is either the only (or one of the only) services that does not pass the name with the call.  Since many use the OBi with other VoIP services, it's not an issue for those users.

Most wireless house phones, and even many wired house phones, have the ability to program into a Directory a list of names and numbers that you call often (just like your cell phone).  If you program in the name and number of a person you call or receive calls from, when GV passes the number to the phone it will show you the name.  We have all our frequent calls programmed in and it works just fine. 

kelemvor

Rick

Quote from: kelemvor on December 03, 2012, 06:19:44 AM
Thanks for the info.  I'll have to go check my phones when I get home.  :)

Might also look into this which I happen upon in a different thread.
http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/how-to-use-the-simon-telephonics-google-voice-gateway-with-an-obihai-device-to-provide-caller-id-name-on-incoming-google-voice-calls/

Right.  Hence my reply about searching  :)

I don't get enough calls to care about the name being displayed.  I look at the number (assuming it isn't one of the names in our phone) and if I don't recognize it choose to answer, or not.  If it's a call I no longer want, I go into GV and block future calls.  I also recently learned in another post that if the number is blocked but you want to block future calls, simply go into GV and block it - the long identifier displayed is enough to match it up in the future. 

kelemvor

The main reason I use it is for our kids.  Our phones "Speak" the caller ID so I have my VoIP system set to show "Mom's Cell" "Dad's Cell" and things like that.  I agree, not a huge issue, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Rick

If they speak, I guarantee they have a directory.