News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 device with home security system

Started by Wilson, December 08, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

I've googled for a while now and can't seem to find the optimum setting that will enable my obi110 device to play nice with my home security system. I've tried changing DTMF method to Inband as well as changing the DTMFRxMode to Software with no luck. I've also tried using SP2 to dial out through another SIP service with the same result. I can see the system dialing out the number of the monitoring company and what sounds like fax tones when I pick up an extension line but the monitoring company does not receive the signal. The alarm unit then disconnects and retries to connect. This goes into a loop and I finally end up physically unplugging the device from the power outlet and disconnecting the phone cord to end the cycle.

Any thoughts on what else could be configured to get this to work? I'd prefer not to have to switch to another monitoring service or go back to Time Warner Cable, the phone service I had previously when I had no issues with the home alarm system. Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I think the Obi110 is a phenomenal device.

MurrayB

There are many posts on this forum pertaining to using the the Obi with a security system. Search the forum and you will have a myriad of info.

Central station monitoring requires a POTS or cable company supplied telephone line to properly exchange the data with your alarm panel. Internet providers such as SIP or Google Voice will not work due to the way the internet passes the data.

In addition, for your system to maintain integrity it should be connected as follows:

If your security system was properly installed the incoming POTS line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to hang up any phones that are off hook and seize the line so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.

Good luck!

Rick

Wilson

The RJ-31X jack was installed when I had my security system setup to work with my previous Time Warner service which is what they call digital phone. It was not a traditional POTS line but it worked with my home security system. All I've done is cut TWC and install the OBI device to work with GV and another SIP provider for the e911 service. The alarm unit and OBI device are in two different locations of my home so I can't run wire directly from the alarm to the OBI. It certainly sounds like the TWC digital service was more compatible with my system. Though digital, not analog POTS, TWC still worked. They must have been using a different codec or handling the communication with my security device differently. I thought the answer would lie in adjusting the codecs or other device settings within the Obitalk portal to make the Obi behave similarly to the TWC digital  service when communicating with the alarm system.

MurrayB

The cable based telephone systems such as Comcast and TWC emulate a standard landline or POTS (plain old telephone) line. The only way to get full protection from the security system is to wire through the RJ-31x jack. It may be inconvenient but I sure that you will figure it out.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Wilson

Thanks for the suggestions... I came across this post on Amazon while doing a search. I'm curious about the wiring exercise someone went through, and apparently successfully as well, to get this to work without a dedicated POTS line.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2ZUXFB6S6IMTK/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

The other option I was thinking about was hooking my alarm unit to a GPS enabled dialer... taking an old cell phone that's not being used around the house and hooking it up as a dedicated cell communication device for my alarm system.

Anyone know of a good effective way to connect a landline device to a cell?

Everton

A lot depends on the type of Security Panel you are using (Make/Model) and whether or not it is SIA compliant.  There are a number of folkes on this forum that are using either GV or other VOIP provider to communicate with their Central Station....so it can be done.  Have you check to make sure the cabling is setup properly between the panel and the OBi110 and the signal are indeed getting sent to the Monitoring Center?  Is your Panel one of the newer SIA panels?  Who is your Monitoring Company?  Do they have IP Monitoring?

We have OBi110, but choose to use a ARIM device (PAP2T-NA) that was supply by Alarm Relay  (internet Monitoring).  The PAP2T-NA was pre-configured by Alarm Relay and they locked us out of the unit.  The unit connected to the Ademco Panel (20P) via a phone cable (2-conductor) which is run directly to the PAP2T-NA Phone Port 1 (we do not use Phone port 2 - locked out).  The signals are sent to Alarm Relay account at Amazon in the Cloud, which then relays that information to Alarm Relay Monitoring Center. 

It is very reliable and they can provide any information on your system (open/close openings, low Battery, lost of Internet connection, alarm events, etc.).  The draw back with their system is they sell the PAP2T-NA for about $150 (it cost only about $40/$50).  We had a brand new PAP2T-NA on hand and they were able to swap it for one of theirs...they won't do it now!  We pay $8.95 per month for Monitoring through Alarm Relay for the first year and $9.95 the second year, paid one-year inadvance....$35 initial setup fee.

I see where a lot of individuals are using this device with their Panel (EnvisaLink 3), which allows the user to get all sorts of events sent to their Android/iPhone Device and ability to arm/disarm their system from the smart phone.

https://www.eyez-on.com/EZMAIN/envisalink3.php

For some reason, Alarm Relay does't support this device (maybe because the want to sell their overprice ARIM ATA), but other Monitoring company does and it allows for Internet (IP) Monitoring!!

Wilson

I have an older unit... one of those DIY wireless systems. The system uses wireless sensors that trigger the alarm and it calls out to the monitoring company using a POTS line. Protection One is the service that I use. They were able to reprogram the alarm system with the different zones and change the call out number to the Protection one monitoring service number. Of course, they claim now that this would not work with VOIP and they asked that I upgrade my system to a newer one but that would mean a new panel, all new sensors etc.,

When I trigger the alarm I can see the calls going out through the call log but something is likely amiss with the handshaking between the alarm and the monitoring system's receiver because it connects, attempts to transmit through what sounds like fax tones, disconnects and reconnects to try the communication again. It does that several times before giving up with a phone communication failure error.

Everton

What is the model number of the DIY Wireless System?  Such information can prove helpful for those who might have the same System and can offer some help on how to get it to work with the OBi Device.

What service provider are you using to call out to the Protection one Monitoring Center? Is it Google Voice?  If you have another Service Provider such as Callcentric, can you try that provider for connecting to the Monitoring Center, by temporarily changing your Primary Line under Phone Port (EDIT:  I saw from your initial post that you did try this approach).  What happens when you dial the Protection one number directly from the Phone Attached to the OBi?  What happens if you dial *99+Number from phone handset?  Does your System allows for changes to the reporting format (4+2, Contact-ID, etc.).

Maybe you can contact OBiSupport for some helpful hints that might help you get this going.  The fact that you had this working with one of the Cable Providers would suggest that it should work with the right settings with a VOIP provider (not GV)!

Rick

Quote from: Wilson on December 09, 2012, 11:31:54 AM
I have an older unit... one of those DIY wireless systems. The system uses wireless sensors that trigger the alarm and it calls out to the monitoring company using a POTS line. Protection One is the service that I use. They were able to reprogram the alarm system with the different zones and change the call out number to the Protection one monitoring service number. Of course, they claim now that this would not work with VOIP and they asked that I upgrade my system to a newer one but that would mean a new panel, all new sensors etc.,

When I trigger the alarm I can see the calls going out through the call log but something is likely amiss with the handshaking between the alarm and the monitoring system's receiver because it connects, attempts to transmit through what sounds like fax tones, disconnects and reconnects to try the communication again. It does that several times before giving up with a phone communication failure error.

The symptoms you describe are EXACTLY why you can't use GV for this purpose.  Even if you could figure out the proper settings / codec to use that might get the signal through (seems unlikely), you'd find your alarm company would likely make you sign something that removes their liability.  

Wiring isn't the issue, as you say you hear the call connect.  The wiring link you provided really doesn't solve anything.  To my understanding, the wiring for alarm panels uses 4 wires with the phone service, as follows:

The phone service is on 2 wires.  The house is on 2 wires.  Both come into a junction box and connect to the panel.  When an alarm is triggered, the panel seizes the two wires servicing all the phones and kills them, giving it control over the 2 wires that connect to the phone service, so it can call the alarm company's panel.  Nothing magical here about how whether it uses POTS or anything else.  

Since you can hear the call connect, it's an issue with how the tones come through to the alarm company.  Each company has certain capabilities.  Apparently yours doesn't like GV.  But it does work with VoIP, so ask them WHICH VoIP providers they support.

You can consider switching to cellular (NOT a cell phone, a cellular device that attaches to y our panel).  You need to see which devices are compatible with your panel, as well as which devices are compatible with your monitoring company.  Yes, you cannot just use any cellular device with your alarm company.

I went through this with my panel.  I found all the possible cellular devices, and settled on an HAI C3, which I setup with a T-Mobile SIM card.  Basically a small box that plugged into my panel.  After a lot of playing around, I learned that the HAI did not produce sufficient line voltage to work with my panel, the calls were not made properly (the panel does the dialing remember).  I easily could use the HAI (with a plugged in phone) to call the Alarm company's panel manually.  Wasn't a total loss - I used that SIM card to switch my service from ATT to GV, then returned the HAI to Amazon.

Some of the cellular options go through a third party to your alarm company, and have monthly fees in addition to your monitoring fee.

I'd suggest calling Alarm Relay. Their monitoring is as stated prior (except third year and forward is $10.45 a month paid in advance), and they will NOT work with GV.  The ARIM is $150, one-time charge.  Note that some of the functionality, like monitoring openings and closings, will cost extra.  

I'd also suggest you review one of the several DIY alarm forums where people are better equipped to answer alarm questions, such as http://www.diyalarmforum.com/

MurrayB

I kept the cheapest possible POTS service at all my locations. This provides reliable security system connection and 911 service. It also provides access to to the telephone system when there is an Internet outage.

Wilson

Thanks for all the suggestions... I've contacted Alarm Relay to see if they can support my setup.

Rick

As I stated, they won't support GV.  You'll need to go cellular Iraq get an ARIM.

DarbyGloss

I am just planning to get some surveillance equipment for home security purpose.