News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SETTING UP OBI IN MAARTEN

Started by wow08816, December 09, 2012, 08:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wow08816

My sister has a vacation place in St. Maarten and was interested in establishing an OBI VOIP phone system. I am curious on whether you can set up the OBI to use two service providers for local (thru St. Maarten VOIP providers) and US calls (thru Google Voice). Can you  use the OBI in St. Maarten in conjunction with a local VOIP service to make on island calls in St. Maarten and have that same OBI hooked up to Google Voice to make calls back to the US? 

Thanks for your help in advance,

WW

Everton

The answer is yes!  You need to setup the Gmail/GV account while in the US (or use some form of VPN while in St. Maarten??).  I curious, what VOIP providers exist in St. Maarten and do they issue local DID (telephone Numbers)?  Could you provide the link to their Web Sites?

wow08816

I haven't been down to St. Maarten yet.  My sister has been after me to see her new vacation home and I am just looking into the possibility of setting up an Obi system to support 2 VOIP providers (1 for calls to the state & 1 for local island calls).  I did read somewhere in a article dated 2006 that CTI has selected Netrake to setup their VOIP business venture for the Carribean area.  I haven't been able to find out any additional on this.  I figure once I get down there, I would just pick the brains of my sister's neighbors for more local information.  Sorry I could not provide more or better information.

carl

the nice thing on VOIP is that you can use any provider no matter where it's location is and the prices are everywhere the same, depending strictly o9n destination nu7mber. So you can check out the providers while in th U.S.  Unfortunately, calls terminating in St.Maarten are relatively expensive , what i have seen starting at about 10c/minute for premium line.