News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Really need help with OBI 110 installation!!

Started by ineedhelp, December 09, 2012, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ineedhelp

I bought the OBI 110 thru amazon.com. I am having trouble adding the device. I have a 2wire modem. The green light on OBI 110 is blinking green. Every time I dialed the given value I got a respond saying my device has been add to the server but I got no respond on the computer. I tried everything but could not see what the problem is. People, I need your help.. :(

hwittenb

To start with the basics tell us how you are setup. Does your 2-wire brand modem have a router with lan ports to connect several devices or just a single internet connection?  Does your OBi110 get an ip address from the 2-wire modem?  This is the first requirement and you can check this by dialing ***4 when you pickup the phone.  If you get an ip address you should be able to call the OBi echo test by dialing **9 222 222 222.

ineedhelp

My router?( sorry if i wrote modem) does have multiple ethernet ports. I tried every port and 2 different cables. For some reason the device cannot get an IP on my modem.

hwittenb

Quote from: ineedhelp on December 10, 2012, 04:31:25 PM
My router?( sorry if i wrote modem) does have multiple ethernet ports. I tried every port and 2 different cables. For some reason the device cannot get an IP on my modem.
Getting an ip address is the first step.

When you cable your powered OBi110 to your router, the OBi110, using the DHCP protocol, asks the router for an ip address.  Is it possible your router has a Firewall or other setting enabled that is preventing the router from issuing the ip address.  I presume you have your computer attached to the same router and it gets its ip address by DHCP.

When you pickup the phone and dial ***1 the voice says that your network address is not available and says DHCP is enabled?

What is your router's make and model number?

ineedhelp

It say that the IP address is not available and DHCP is disabled. My modem model is 2wire 3600hgv. Thanks so much for your help.

hwittenb

Quote from: ineedhelp on December 11, 2012, 06:35:56 PM
It say that the IP address is not available and DHCP is disabled. My modem model is 2wire 3600hgv. Thanks so much for your help.

If DHCP is really "disabled" as you typed then you need to get it enabled so that you can get an ip address.  It should be enabled by default, I'm surprised that it would be disabled, maybe you mistyped.

You can enable DHCP from the phone menu.  
You key ***3
after prompt press 1  (to enter new value)
after prompt press 1# (for enabled)
after prompt press 1  (to save)

Afterwards you can key ***1 to verify that DHCP is enabled.

ineedhelp

Firewall is disabled, and DHCP is enabled. But still no response from website when trying to add the device.

Rick

Quote from: ineedhelp on December 13, 2012, 04:01:08 PM
Firewall is disabled, and DHCP is enabled. But still no response from website when trying to add the device.

I think you're confusing things, so let me try.

The OBi device needs to seek an IP address from a router to work (or be assigned a static address).  That means that you need a ROUTER (not just a modem), and that router needs to have DHCP ENABLED so it provides addresses to your devices (OBi, PCs, etc.). 

If your OBi is setup as normal, it will seek an address.  If the router you are using (or if you have no router, just a modem) is NOT enabled to provide an address, you won't get one. 

FYI, you should NOT have to disable a firewall on a router to use your OBi, and it's very bad practice to do so.

ineedhelp

Sorry if I put modem, I meant router. My router recognized my OBI device and shown it is active. The DHCP is enabled but the problem is that the OBI cannot get an IP address of my router. What should I do?

QBZappy

ineedhelp,

If you are still struggling with this after so many days, you should just reset the OBi and start over.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lhm.

Setup your entire lan with a static ip address.

Ostracus

gullzway

Quote from: Ostracus on December 14, 2012, 07:15:45 PM
Could the issue be this one?

Thanks for this!  Doing this plus adding the recommended ports in my 3600hgv setup has my ObiTalk100 working great.