News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use single GV numnber on two OBI devices

Started by rklarman, September 21, 2012, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rklarman

I have an Obi110 and Obi202 as well as 2 GV accounts.  I would like to have a single number (from the main GV account) used for incoming and outgoing calls (on both Obi devices).  What is the proper procedure for setting this up?  The 2 Obi units will be at 2 locations.

I also want to make sure that the only GV voicemail is used on the main GV account.

jimates

It is currently not possible to log into one google account from 2 Obi's. Recent news about Talkatone being able to do it leads to hopes that Obihai will figure it out also.

You can do it by routing calls from the second Obi to the first using the Obitalk Service.

jimates

Configure the google account on Obi #1

Incoming calls are easy. You add the number for Obi#2 to the inbound call route of Obi #1
Obi #1 - inbound call route for the SP where the google voice is set up.
{ph,pp(ob200xxxxxx)}
where 200xxxxxx is the Obitalk number of Obi #2

The default setting on Obi #2's Obitalk Service inbound call route should be ph, which is what it should be.

rklarman

I set it that way - and when I call the GV number assigned to Obi 202 it rings 3x and then the Obi attendant says to press 1 and then it rings on the phone on the Obi110.  I set the AA to disabled on both Obi units.

rklarman

I had to update the ObiTalk Service InboundCallRoute to {ph} to resolve this.

jimates

you probably had already put the Obi's in the circle of trust. That always messes things up because it automatically configures the incoming call for the AA.

rklarman

To route calls from the 2nd Opi to the first (so it uses the GV number) do I edit OutboundCallRoute under the PHONE interface on the 2nd Obi?  Would this just read @:pp(ob500*******)?

rklarman

Can I pre-pend every call to dial 2* on one of the Obi devices?  If I dial 2* and then the number on the 2nd Obi, the outgoing call is routed through the first Obi which I want.

rklarman

jimates

OK guys and gals, I want you to critique what I have put together so that I can make it shine.

I came up with a simple configuration that allows two Obi devices to work 100% with a single google voice account, without elaborate configurations on the Obi.

It is so simple, I don't know why we never recommended it before. I guess we were always looking at how the Obi didn't work with multiple log ins on the same google account. We never looked at the one aspect of how the Obi does work with multiple log ins; outgoing calls are always possible with the Obi, even when something (including another Obi) inhibits it from receiving calls from google voice.

With the recent concerns of making the Obi work while smart phone apps were logged in to the google account, it dawned on me that the same configuration can be used with two Obi's.
The complete setup requires using two SP services on both Obi's, but the full features of the set up are:

1 – One google voice number ringing both devices no matter what their locations.
2 – Free caller id with name at both devices.
3 – Simultaneous use of the phones on both devices on the same google voice account
4 – Check google voice mail for the same account from both locations.
5 – Get full control of all Google Voice features for each Obi independently.
6 – Free calling between the two devices without using the Obitalk Service.
7 – PSTN calling from both locations (if one location has an Obi110 with PSTN service) using the circle of trust.
8 – Optional low cost E911 service from either device.

The Obi uses the Google Chat feature of Gmail to connect to Google and make and receive calls. Usually when two applications or devices try to take control of Google Chat at the same time, it creates a conflict for them to work at the same time. Generally the last one to log in, or renew a log in, is the only one that works correctly.
When another application/device takes control of Google Chat, the Obi still has the ability to place outgoing calls using the Google account. Although it can place outgoing calls, it may not receive incoming calls for Google Chat.

This configuration guide will allow two devices to work at the same time using the same google account, and gain the added features of caller id with name and optional E911 service.

This guide assumes you have already set up calling from within GMail for Google Chat

Callcentric
Set up 2 separate Callcentric accounts
Do these two steps for each account
1 - Get a free NY DID for free incoming calls (see note below for 911)
2 - Enable caller id w/name, and tweak your settings, in the preferences

Google Voice
1 - Add the Callcentric DIDs from both accounts as forwarding phones and confirm them
2 - Make sure Google Chat is checked as a forwarding phone (this will allow you to use smart phone apps or receive calls in Gmail)

Obi #1
1 - Configure the Google Voice account on SP1, and set it as the primary line for outgoing calls
2 - Configure  Callcentric account #1 on SP2 (select the 911 option if you are going to use it)
3 - Set the Voice Service -> SP1 Service ->  X_InboundCallRoute = {}
4 - Set the Voice Service -> SP2 Service ->  X_InboundCallRoute = {ph}

Obi #2
1 - Configure the same Google Voice account on SP1, and set it as the primary line for outgoing calls
2 - Configure  Callcentric account #2 on SP2 (select the 911 option if you are going to use it)

-Outgoing calls from both Obi's will use the Google Voice account and will carry the Google Voice caller id.
-Google Voice will deliver all incoming calls to your Callcentric DIDs which will come into both Obi's on SP2 and ring the phone ports. Since these calls come into the Obi on Callcentric, there is no charge for incoming calls. And you will have free caller id with name on all incoming calls.
-If Google Chat is checked, Google Voice will also deliver all incoming calls to Google Chat (your smart phone app or Gmail if you use one). If any calls are inadvertently delivered to the Obi(s), the Obi will ignore the calls (they will not even show in the call history).

Callcentric has free calling to/from all other Callcentric numbers. This allows you to call the other Obi using Callcentric. (You cannot call the other Obi using Google Voice). You can configure the Obi's phone port outbound call route to use SP2 to call the other Obi's Callcentric number, or you can use a speed dial setting.
You can also call the other Obi using the Obitalk Service.

NOTED LIMITATIONS
Because both Obi's use the same Google Voice account, any Google Voice restrictions are shared between them. Google Voice allows two simultaneous sessions. This allows each Obi to occupy one session each at the same time (each Obi can have one outgoing call in session at the same time). Since the only incoming service on the Obi is Callcentric, which limits you to one session, these limitations will not be a factor between the two Obi's.
One device could use both sessions at the same time by placing an outgoing call while an incoming call from SP2 is forwarded or forked.

Click2Call
Since the Callcentric number is incoming only, and there is no way to know which Obi is actually in control, you can't effectively use Click2Call with this set up. I configured the SP1 inbound call route to ignore any calls. You could set it up for Click2Call using Google Chat, but there is no way to know positively which Obi's phone is going to ring.

-   Using the features of Google Voice

Voice Mail
Calling your Google Voice number from either Obi will reach your voice mail IVR for checking your voicemail (this cannot be changed).

Custom Ring Schedule
This configuration gives you the option to adjust the ring schedule for each Obi separately, by setting a custom ring schedule for the corresponding Callcentric DID. This will not change the ring schedule for the calls going to the other Obi or to your smart phone apps/Gmail, all numbers are controlled independently at Google Voice.

Custom Call Routing
The Google Voice account will have one contacts list, but you can control the routing of incoming calls from each contact to each forwarding number independently.

Call Record
Pressing 4 during an incoming call will start recording the call at Google Voice. Google will announce the call recording on the line. Only incoming calls can be recorded.

Call Transfer
You can use the call transfer feature of Google Voice (press *) to transfer incoming calls to the other Obi. When you answer a call and then press *, all other phones that originally rang when the call came in, will ring again. You can hang up after pressing *, or you can stay on the line for a 3 way conversation. Note, that the original call will be terminated when the last phone to enter the 3 way hangs up. But you can transfer it back and forth as many times as you want by leaving the conversation and the other person pressing *. (Keep in mind the other Obi can have a custom ring schedule or custom call routing that may keep that number from ringing when pressing *. If the other number did not ring when the call originally came in, it will not ring when you press *).

Note for Callcentric E911
Callcentric can provide full true E911 service. The service costs $1.50 a month (+ $1.50 set up fee). You set the address used for E911 through your Callcentric account. Your E911 will be added during checkout when you get your free DID.
**During the checkout process you will be asked if you are going to use the service within the US/Canada, if you choose "no" you will not be set up for 911 and will not incur the fees; but will still receive free incoming calls.

my11643

Quote from: jimates on October 06, 2012, 02:30:59 AM

Callcentric
Set up 2 separate Callcentric accounts
Do these two steps for each account
1 - Get a free NY DID for free incoming calls (see note below for 911)
2 - Enable caller id w/name, and tweak your settings, in the preferences

Google Voice
1 - Add the Callcentric DIDs from both accounts as forwarding phones and confirm them
2 - Make sure Google Chat is checked as a forwarding phone (this will allow you to use smart phone apps or receive calls in Gmail)

Obi #1
1 - Configure the Google Voice account on SP1, and set it as the primary line for outgoing calls
2 - Configure  Callcentric account #1 on SP2 (select the 911 option if you are going to use it)

Obi #2
1 - Configure the same Google Voice account on SP1, and set it as the primary line for outgoing calls
2 - Configure  Callcentric account #2 on SP2 (select the 911 option if you are going to use it)

I followed jimates guide and everything works perfectly. The reliance on two free services does make me wonder how long this will remain feasible, but for now it's great. Now that the Obi202 supports multiple devices using the same Google voice account, maybe this feature will trickle down to the Obi100 / 110.

Thanks for the detailed guide.

Sorry for ressurecting an old thread, but I wanted to give feedback since there were no comments on this method yet.