News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changing Incoming CID for GV phones

Started by TomEl, December 15, 2012, 10:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomEl

Hi,

I am interested in appending the incoming CID for GV calls forwarded to my cell. 

Why?  I want to know on which line the call originated.  In essence, answering: did the caller dial my cell directly or are they calling the Obi device.

Helpful would be to append the incoming CID to add, for example, a star or a digit.  So, 555-555-1212 would appear as *555-555-5555 or as 1-555-555-5555.  That way, I would know the incoming call is through the Obi device and not directly placed to my cell.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Thanks!

Rick

Quote from: TomEl on December 15, 2012, 10:01:22 AM
Hi,

I am interested in appending the incoming CID for GV calls forwarded to my cell. 

Why?  I want to know on which line the call originated.  In essence, answering: did the caller dial my cell directly or are they calling the Obi device.

Helpful would be to append the incoming CID to add, for example, a star or a digit.  So, 555-555-1212 would appear as *555-555-5555 or as 1-555-555-5555.  That way, I would know the incoming call is through the Obi device and not directly placed to my cell.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Thanks!

First, the calls wouldn't be coming "through" the OBi, they'd be coming from GV to either the OBi, your cell, or both.

You can setup GV to display the incoming caller's CID, or the GV number, as the CID.  So, if you want to know if it's coming from GV, you could have it display the GV number.  In fact, by putting the GV number in your cell "Friends and Family", that would avoid cell minutes being used.

If you do that, and you still want to know who is calling before you speak with them, setup GV Call Screening, where you can listen to who it is and not talk to them.

azrobert

If you have your cell phone defined as a forwarding number within GoogleVoice, then Rick's answer is correct.

If your cell is registered with a Sip provider and you are forking the inbound call within your OBi using an X_InboundCallRoute like {ph,sp2(YourAcct@YourSipProvider.com)}, then you can do it.

Change the X_InboundCallRoute to {(<*>xx.|?):ph,sp2(YourAcct@YourSipProvider.com)}

You must enable X_SpoofCallerID AND your Sip Provider must accept spoofing.
If your provider does not accept spoofing the call will fail.