News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Google Voice to only make calls, not receive them. (OBi config only)

Started by sfruski, December 17, 2012, 04:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfruski

I've searching a bit and can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

Setup:
OBi100
SIP1: Google Voice account
SIP2: SIP to physical number.

Goal:
SIP1: Make calls.
SIP2: Receive calls.

Further Information:
I have GrooveIP setup on my android phone, which I use as my primary phone.

Making and receiving calls from the OBi100 works correctly.  My calls go out over Google Voice.  A received call is forwarded from Google Voice to the SIP physical number.

However I would like to have the OBi sign into Google Voice only to make a call.  This would allow my GrooveIP account to stop being signed out.  The setting might be as simple as turning off a "keep alive", but I want to know the exact setting before I start playing with it.

Is this possible, and how?

Thanks for the help.

giqcass

I can't come up with a specific solution but Obi might have a solution to your problem on the Obi202 test firmware.  They are calling it "Google Voice Multi-Ring".  Perhaps it will move to the other Obi devices after they are done testing it.

In my understanding of the way the current Obi works it will stay connected to Google chat all of the time if you use Google Voice.  You can stop forwarding calls to Google Chat in the Google Voice interface but that does not stop the Obi from connecting to Google chat.  You can confirm this by checking your Google chat status.  You can also verify this by checking the Obi interface. 

Because it uses xmpp to connect to Google Voice many of the SIP settings probably don't apply. 

I recommend you start a feature request to along the lines of:
Connect to Google Voice for outgoing calls only.
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

sfruski,

Welcome.

1) Remove the default seting of "ph" at the end of this section:
SP1=GV

Voice Services->SP1 Service->X_InboundCallRoute = leave blank
All incoming calls don't have anywhere to go.

or

2) In the GV setting (web page), don't define any forwarding to Google CHAT.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

mikemilr

So I'm going to piggy-back on this question... Mine is only slightly different.

I'm trying to get my father hooked up with an obi110 but alas, GV doesn't serve his local area. So, I need to do something like CallCentric for receiving calls and GV for making calls, to keep the price down. He'd like to port his current landline number.

I assume the following:
1. it can be done... looking at list, I can select primary outgoing as SP1 (GV)
2. E911, if dialed, WON'T go out on SP1 if SP2 has the "911" box checked
3. He can have GV send his 'receiving' number as CID number

Is there anything that I'm missing?

Rick

Quote from: mikemilr on December 18, 2012, 06:57:07 AM
So I'm going to piggy-back on this question... Mine is only slightly different.

I'm trying to get my father hooked up with an obi110 but alas, GV doesn't serve his local area. So, I need to do something like CallCentric for receiving calls and GV for making calls, to keep the price down. He'd like to port his current landline number.

I assume the following:
1. it can be done... looking at list, I can select primary outgoing as SP1 (GV)
2. E911, if dialed, WON'T go out on SP1 if SP2 has the "911" box checked
3. He can have GV send his 'receiving' number as CID number

Is there anything that I'm missing?

What do you mean "alas, GV doesn't serve his local area"?  Where does he live?

1)
2)You dial 911, not E911.  911 calls will go out on the line that you setup for 911 calls.  If it's GV, you won't get E911 service.  If it's Callcentric and you setup E911 for Callcentric, it will get E911 service.  You can setup your 911 calls to go out on SP1 or SP2.
3)Nope.  If you make Calls on GV, you send the GV number.  No ifs, ands or buts. 

sfruski

Quote from: QBZappy on December 17, 2012, 09:45:59 PM
sfruski,

Welcome.

1) Remove the default seting of "ph" at the end of this section:
SP1=GV

Voice Services->SP1 Service->X_InboundCallRoute = leave blank
All incoming calls don't have anywhere to go.

or

2) In the GV setting (web page), don't define any forwarding to Google CHAT.

Thank you for the help, though i don't think this is the exact solution I am looking for.  Correct me if I am wrong, but this settings just prevents the OBi from picking up on the SIP1 account.  The OBi will still be receiving the call, just not knowing what to do with it.

The second option does not work for me as I need that GV setting enabled, so to allow GrooveIP on my android phone to work correctly.

Is there an option in the OBi setting along the line of setting the GV re-connection interval?  What about enabling this setting: X_KeepAliveEnable, and setting this setting: X_KeepAliveExpires to 86,400 (24hrs)?  Or will "keep alive" keep trying ever time it gets disconnected?  (Both under Voice Services->SP1 Service.)

Also while writing this I have been playing with the inbound call route setting and it keeps automatically enabling itself after a few minutes.  (The default check-box comes back on.)

QBZappy

Quote from: sfruski on December 18, 2012, 09:44:02 AM
Also while writing this I have been playing with the inbound call route setting and it keeps automatically enabling itself after a few minutes.  (The default check-box comes back on.)

Managing Your OBi Device Configuration: OBiTALK or OBi Web Page but NOT Both
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Quote from: sfruski on December 17, 2012, 04:44:43 PM
However I would like to have the OBi sign into Google Voice only to make a call.  This would allow my GrooveIP account to stop being signed out. 

I think for the moment only the OBi202 can have the same acct signed in multiple times.
OBi202 Pre-Release Software Rings Multiple OBi's from a Single Google Voice Number and Receives Text Messages to the Attached Phones Too!
http://blog.obihai.com/2012/11/obi202-pre-release-software-rings.html

sfruski

Quote from: QBZappy on December 18, 2012, 10:06:48 AM
Quote from: sfruski on December 17, 2012, 04:44:43 PM
However I would like to have the OBi sign into Google Voice only to make a call.  This would allow my GrooveIP account to stop being signed out. 

I think for the moment only the OBi202 can have the same acct signed in multiple times.
OBi202 Pre-Release Software Rings Multiple OBi's from a Single Google Voice Number and Receives Text Messages to the Attached Phones Too!
http://blog.obihai.com/2012/11/obi202-pre-release-software-rings.html

The problem isn't the OBi, it is GV.  GV only allows once device, program or browser to be signed in at a time.  Even if the OBi202 can allow multiple sign-ons to the same account, it will only work for that device and not between it and another program.

I'm also talking with support.  Their first answer is that it is not possible to prevent the device from signing into GV, or setting it up to only sign into GV to make a call.  The next question I asked them, and am awaiting a response is if I can increase the re-connection interval.  Increasing that time won't fix my problem, but it will basically make it go away.

sfruski

Just received my second reply from them stating it is not possible to extend the re-connection interval.  I might play around a little with the settings, but it looks like I am going to be out of luck.

azrobert

Disclaimer: I'm an old man going senile, so the following might not be accurate.

A device or softphone uses a XMPP priority level when it logs onto GV. The highest level is 127.  If multiple devices are logged on to GV, the one with the highest priority will receive the incoming calls.

If 2 devices have the same priority I don't know if the first or last to sign on that will get the incoming calls.

See XMPP priority here:
https://simonics.com/blog/

I believe the OBi uses priority 127, so if GrooveIP doesn't use priority 127 you're SOL.

Try powering off your OBi, then logon with GrooveIP and then power on the OBi.

If that fails, instead of using GrooveIP try Bill Simons GV Gateway with a SIP softphone.
He uses priority 127 in his gateway.

The fix would be if Obihai would have the XMPP priority level as a config option.

sfruski

Quote from: azrobert on December 18, 2012, 10:57:10 AM
Disclaimer: I'm an old man going senile, so the following might not be accurate.

A device or softphone uses a XMPP priority level when it logs onto GV. The highest level is 127.  If multiple devices are logged on to GV, the one with the highest priority will receive the incoming calls.

If 2 devices have the same priority I don't know if the first or last to sign on that will get the incoming calls.

See XMPP priority here:
https://simonics.com/blog/

I believe the OBi uses priority 127, so if GrooveIP doesn't use priority 127 you're SOL.

Try powering off your OBi, then logon with GrooveIP and then power on the OBi.

If that fails, instead of using GrooveIP try Bill Simons GV Gateway with a SIP softphone.
He uses priority 127 in his gateway.

The fix would be if Obihai would have the XMPP priority level as a config option.

Interesting.  This would fix my issue entirely.  I'll talk to support about it, but even with how great they seem to be, usually companies don't add a feature for the minority of users.

Thanks for the info.

sfruski

SNRB Labs, the makers of GrooveIP reported back to me that their app currently has no way for the user to edit the XMPP priority setting.  They also are not planning on implementing it unless a lot of people start wanting it.

Haven't hurd back from Obi about the same setting for their devices, but I am expecting the same response.

QBZappy

sfruski ,

Just a stab in the dark.
Jabber Resources
http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Jabber_Resources

"User can set different priorities for his/her resources. A priority of resource shows user's availability through this resource. When you are at home, you have "Available" status in your home Jabber client and high priority for it. When you are at work, your home Jabber client probably have status "Extended away" and low priority, while your work client is "Available". So all messages for you are coming to your work client."

The "Available" status seems to control the high priority. I'm thinking if you go to your GTALK/CHAT acct select a lower status, ex: Extended away.

sfruski

Quote from: QBZappy on December 18, 2012, 02:42:35 PM
sfruski ,

Just a stab in the dark.
Jabber Resources
http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Jabber_Resources

"User can set different priorities for his/her resources. A priority of resource shows user's availability through this resource. When you are at home, you have "Available" status in your home Jabber client and high priority for it. When you are at work, your home Jabber client probably have status "Extended away" and low priority, while your work client is "Available". So all messages for you are coming to your work client."

The "Available" status seems to control the high priority. I'm thinking if you go to your GTALK/CHAT acct select a lower status, ex: Extended away.

I'll look through that when I have some free time tonight.

Also just heard back from Obi, and they gave me a solid NO to adding a XMPP priority configuration line.

giqcass

I can confirm I have this setting X_XMPPPRiority on my 202 with the test firmware.  I'll test it tomorrow to see if it is a fix.  It is on the bottom of the page under Voice Services>>SP Service. 

Multi ring does allow multiple Obi devices to be logged in as well as Gchat so at least it is possible it also allows GrooveIP to work as well.  I have not tested it with Groove IP but I think I will try tomorrow.
Long live our new ObiLords!

sfruski

Quote from: giqcass on December 18, 2012, 07:38:45 PM
I can confirm I have this setting X_XMPPPRiority on my 202 with the test firmware.  I'll test it tomorrow to see if it is a fix.  It is on the bottom of the page under Voice Services>>SP Service. 

Multi ring does allow multiple Obi devices to be logged in as well as Gchat so at least it is possible it also allows GrooveIP to work as well.  I have not tested it with Groove IP but I think I will try tomorrow.

Good to know.  I wonder if it will make it's way down to the 100.  It also seems that support was just saying "no" just to get rid of me.

sfruski

Quote from: giqcass on December 18, 2012, 07:38:45 PM

How did the testing go?