News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice and Conference Calls...

Started by Malachi, December 19, 2012, 02:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi

I'm using Google Voice on my Obi and it's been working great.
However, when I need to call in on a conference call, I always get the busy signal. ???  When I call with my regular landline, I immediately get connected to the conference call system. How come? Is there something I need to configure, so that I won't have those issues?  :-\

Thanks!

Rick

Quote from: Malachi on December 19, 2012, 02:08:06 PM
I'm using Google Voice on my Obi and it's been working great.
However, when I need to call in on a conference call, I always get the busy signal. ???  When I call with my regular landline, I immediately get connected to the conference call system. How come? Is there something I need to configure, so that I won't have those issues?  :-\

Thanks!

If the number is a toll free number, apparently there are some numbers that GV can't call - very few, but some.  To verify that it's a GV issue and not an OBi issue, use GV on your PC to call it.  If that gets you a busy signal too, then you have your answer.

giqcass

Each company can set the price to call there local exchange in the US(price they get paid for incoming calls).  Some areas set up excessively high rates then they set up services like conference calling services that generate excessive incoming calls.  In order to keep Google Voice free for everyone Google blocked these exchanges from their system.  Some telephone companies also blocked those exchanges as well citing unfair business practices.  Unfortunately the FCC forced those phone companies to interconnect with the traffic pumping exchanges regardless because of a law that had been put in place to make sure every phone exchange was connected.  Google Voice was able to continue blocking these exchanges because they are not a telephone company and that law does not apply to them.  

Some of the big phone companies disagreed with Google on that point and tried to sue but nothing ever came from that.

Here is a link if you want to know more.
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/traffic-pumping
Long live our new ObiLords!

Shameless

Try getting people to use freeconferencecall.com  or freeconferencecallhd.com.    You can use sipbroker.com with the later. I haven't used the former yet. It's free.

Malachi

Quote from: Shameless on March 23, 2013, 02:25:57 AM
Try getting people to use freeconferencecall.com  or freeconferencecallhd.com.    You can use sipbroker.com with the later. I haven't used the former yet. It's free.

I have the problem with freeconferencecall.com as it is.. :-/ I found a site https://feefighters.com/blog/how-are-free-conference-calls-free/ that also says that Google Voice blocks them... :-(

ErikGrayson

I recently switched over to Uberconference and it works great. I started with the free option then I upgraded to paid version which costs $10 a month. The service is hassle free, no need to remember PIN's, voice quality is fine and social media integration is also available. For free and paid online conferencing, check out - http://www.uberconference.com/