News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

NEWBIE - Did I xxxxx UP my Goggle Voice already?

Started by Miichael, December 19, 2012, 05:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miichael

Please advise:  Today after reading excellent reviews about the OBI100 I ordered one and then following a poster's advice went to Goggle and found Google Voice and then may have foulled things up for when I actually get the phone.  I actually clicked on the wrong choice and instead of getting Directions on how to get your G. Voice # - I got the little "window" to request a NEW Number - so I did.....so it ended up calling me at my home phone and I could not understand the recorded instructions and of course I had NO 3 Digit Code because I had not read the instructions......so I was sitting there like the DUMMY I am......until it asked me my name and I told it and it repeated it back with instructions on how or what to do - I did not understand any of it.  I searched for quite awhile to find out IF it gave me a new telephone # or what and where and what to do next.
      PLEASE = if possible tell me what to do to get on track and with the Program...................and

THANKS   michael

OBiSupport

You should be OK.

Just follow the screen shot tutorial from the beginning (click on link below):
http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1.html

More resources:
http://www.obihai.com/tutorials-tips.html

If you run into any problems the experts on the forum right here will help, or feel free to contact Obihai directly.

Obihai Technical Support:
Support Request Form:  http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm.php
Email:  support@obihai.com
Phone:  +1.408.634.5904

Thanks!
Obihai Technology, Inc.

Miichael

This is already GREAT - looks like good support!

Am confused about maybe the 3rd "box" called "Choose Number" in the process there at G. Voice:  1st Box to fill in is sinple: Area Code but then an, and/or, and in next box what do they mean by fill in a Word, Phrase, or Number?   I'm not going to tackle that one again until I hear from a more enlightened one.

TKS  michael

Rick

Quote from: Miichael on December 19, 2012, 05:24:23 PM
This is already GREAT - looks like good support!

Am confused about maybe the 3rd "box" called "Choose Number" in the process there at G. Voice:  1st Box to fill in is sinple: Area Code but then an, and/or, and in next box what do they mean by fill in a Word, Phrase, or Number?   I'm not going to tackle that one again until I hear from a more enlightened one.

TKS  michael

All that option is doing is letting you try to find a number that matches a word or phrase, like 1-555-BUY-FORD or 1-555-EAT-PIES.  You put in the phrase and it searches for a number that matches it so you can tell people, "Just call 1-555-EAT-PIES" (which is 1-555-328-7437) to reach me.

You can later port your landline to Google Voice and use that number (read about porting on the Google site).  Google has a whole bunch of content on the features of GV and how to use them.

Using GV and the OBi will require you to read instructions - lots of them, so take your time and go slow.

Enjoy!

Miichael

THANKS - do with I had know about that when I was there, left it blank.......

Today I received an EMail fm Google Acct.:  " The recovery number for your Google Acct. has recently changed....if you made that change ignore this."

That has to relate to whatever I did when I was exploring to see what I would have to do when I got my OBI100.........now I am hoping/praying I can get someone to walk me thru the Setup when I get mine......Amazon says it will be here around the 26th.

PS:  now that I know what I should have typed in to those slots....can I go back and do it right - or is it too late........it did have me tell it my name at the end.

TKS  michael

Rick

Quote from: Miichael on December 20, 2012, 10:51:07 AM
THANKS - do with I had know about that when I was there, left it blank.......

Today I received an EMail fm Google Acct.:  " The recovery number for your Google Acct. has recently changed....if you made that change ignore this."

That has to relate to whatever I did when I was exploring to see what I would have to do when I got my OBI100.........now I am hoping/praying I can get someone to walk me thru the Setup when I get mine......Amazon says it will be here around the 26th.

PS:  now that I know what I should have typed in to those slots....can I go back and do it right - or is it too late........it did have me tell it my name at the end.

TKS  michael

Why don't you go back to the site and find out  ;)

Miichael

I attempted to do just as you suggested but to NO avail.....don't understand the problem, but it happened with two different keyboards???
   As you know - first it asks you to type in YOUR Phone #, so I do and can see that my numbers are being typed in just fine......then when it goes to then next screen where it tells you over the phone to type in the 2 digit code....it does not enter the numbers even though I even try the nums lock keys......tried another keyboard and same thig - the recording tells me after abit, "Sorry you are having problems, call back later."   "WHAT IT IS???"

TKS

Rick

Quote from: Miichael on December 20, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
I attempted to do just as you suggested but to NO avail.....don't understand the problem, but it happened with two different keyboards???
   As you know - first it asks you to type in YOUR Phone #, so I do and can see that my numbers are being typed in just fine......then when it goes to then next screen where it tells you over the phone to type in the 2 digit code....it does not enter the numbers even though I even try the nums lock keys......tried another keyboard and same thig - the recording tells me after abit, "Sorry you are having problems, call back later."   "WHAT IT IS???"

TKS

May I respectfully suggest that based on your experience you consider returning the OBi?  I think it will be too complicated for you to understand.

I believe that it displays two digits ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN.  I believe you type in those digits ON YOUR PHONE when Google calls it, as they are VERIFYING THE PHONE NUMBER IS CORRECT.

This is a forum for OBi support, not for Google Voice support...

aopisa

Quote from: Rick on December 21, 2012, 03:44:48 AM
Quote from: Miichael on December 20, 2012, 10:18:13 PM

TKS

May I respectfully suggest that based on your experience you consider returning the OBi?  I think it will be too complicated for you to understand.

I believe that it displays two digits ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN.  I believe you type in those digits ON YOUR PHONE when Google calls it, as they are VERIFYING THE PHONE NUMBER IS CORRECT.

This is a forum for OBi support, not for Google Voice support...

I agree. I am pretty technically proficient, but this phone/internet stuff can get a little confusing. It is not just plug and play as the marketing makes you think. Some people are able to just plug it in and go and others get thrown onto a twisted path full of settings and jargon they do not understand. I was somewhere in the middle and for now it works great. Still, it wasn't exactly smooth sailing without some heavy internet research. If you are having this much trouble even before you get your device, it may not be the right thing for you.

What are you doing about 911? You have to make sure you are covered in case of an emergency. That's a whole other ball of wax if you have not considered it yet.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Miichael

I hear you guys and no doubt you are probably correct.....BUT......I hate to give up on this, it sounds like just the ticket for me [senior on low income - trying to lower bills].  Feel extra stupid for not realizing the recoring wanted me to punch in the code from my phone's keypad - DUMB and getting DUMBER!
   I do have a cell phone to use in case have to make a 911 call.

Amazon tells me my Obi100 could arrive tommorrow ............

Thanks for your patient help of an older "nerd"

michael

ObihaiCustSvc

QuoteWhat are you doing about 911?

Check out this article on using 911 with an OBi device.
http://blog.obihai.com/2011/11/calling-911-with-obi-devices.html

There is also a wealth of discussion about this here on the OBiTALK forum.

QBZappy

Miichael,

We are extra nice to seniors, low income families, single parents. Heck some of us do things above and beyond the forum to help you set up these telephone boxes.

Let me tell you a short story. Our friend pc44 I'm certain is set up for life with fruit cake every Christmas with the gratitude of a senior lady we met on this forum. Oh, and don't get me started on another frequent and generous contributor to the helpless causes, Ianobi. If there ever was a better representative in the UK for Knighthood, I can't think of one.

Don't fret, you see we work for food or the good causes.

BEST--
QBZappy
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.