News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 won't connect to wireless router

Started by Spinland, December 20, 2012, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinland

I've already done a search and this thread was of no help:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3587.0

My router is an Apple Time Capsule, and there are nearly a dozen devices successfully connected to both the main and the guest networks via wi-fi.  For whatever reason, the OBI202 will not connect. It scans and finds the networks just fine, but when I enter the WPA2 key the page just says "Connecting to <SSID>" and that's all that happens while I wait for several minutes. 

Spinland

If I deliberately enter an incorrect WPA2 key I instantly get an authentication fail response, if that helps any.

Spinland

I guess one possible issue is my router serves DHCP in the 172.16.1.x range? The defaults all seem to be expecting 192.168.10.x, but if I try changing anything it just bricks the OBI202 and I have to factory reset it.

Spinland

Well, no telling how long they'll take to respond to my trouble ticket, but in the meantime I did some sleuthing and uncovered the problem: there's a bug in how the Obi's wi-fi handles WPA2 keys.

My key starts with a non-alphanumeric character, and Obi cannot handle that. Interestingly enough, the nine other devices on the same network, from multiple manufacturers, have had no problem at all with the same key.  I stumbled across the bug when I tried my guest network, which WPA2 key starts with an alphanumeric, and got in.

I altered the first character of my primary key to be alphanumeric, and the Obi was able to connect to the primary network.

In the case Obi doesn't fix this bug, maybe this will help prevent someone else from all the headache it has caused me. If and when they ever respond to my trouble ticket I'll tell them about it.

giqcass

Just for reference what firmware are you on?
Long live our new ObiLords!

Spinland

3.0.0 (Build: 3460)

I updated the firmware over Ethernet first thing.

HT_in_Forum

Dear customers,

Thank you for raising this issue to us.

We checked the issue you mentioned. We found the password of WPA1/2 for OBiWiFi cannot contain special character ' - "tick".

We verified that the issue does exist in lasted released firmware OBi202-3-0-0-3460.fw

Sorry for the inconvenience!

We will try to fix this issue at next release.

Regards,
Obihai Technology

Spinland

And as luck would have it that's exactly the character my old WPA2 key began with.  Thanks for the confirmation.

euclidobi

My WPA2 key starts with an alphanumeric but it still only says "connecting to" and occasionally "scanning". But even if I try a wrong password I DON'T get the authentication failure message. Does anyone know what might be wrong with my setup?

I have the obi202 with the latest firmware and I believe I've followed all the instructions in www.obihai.com/wifi/

Thanks.

euclidobi

Nevermind. I kept trying and it finally says connected.  :) Not sure why it wasn't connecting before.

yalej

I don't want to start a new thread, but I am also having problems having the WiFi adapter connect to my router. The wifi router is the Adaptec WiFi router that comes with FiOS installations.

Obi202 FW 3.0.1 (Build: 3722) (I just downloaded and installed this FW).

I only have WEP security. It just keeps trying to connect, then scanning, then trying to connect.

I have followed all the directions as far as I can tell.

Ostracus

yalej

Well I just left it overnight and this evening it was connected. Moved it upstairs to my room so that it is only on wifi and it is still working. So far so good.