News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

in coming calls when using google voice with Obi 110

Started by bubbles, December 20, 2012, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbles

do land line callers need to use my 10 digit(include my area code)  or just the 7 digit google voice number to call me if they live in my area code to call me when I am using a Obi 110?

MurrayB

Hi Bubbles and Welcome!

The dialing to your number depends on the dialing rules of your local phone company as they are transporting the call even if it is your Google Voice number. If your local company such as Verizon require ten digit within the area code all calls must be ten digit.

Good luck!

bubbles

My local telco is AT&T and I have DSL with them which is the number I am using to have G/V forward calls to.  This was also my land line number, which I have just had AT&T do a dry loop on.  I will be dropping the land line in a few days and just using G/V forward to the dsl number for my home phones.  I know that if I use G/V on the pc I must use 10 digits out and people must use 10 digit to call me.  I was wondering from what I had read  in this forum that the OBi would read a 7 digit number and convert it to a 10 digit number for outgoing calls in your area code, but I could not find anything on whether incoming calls from people dialing 7 digits from within my area code would go through the Obi which would add the area code before reaching G/V.

Rick

Quote from: bubbles on December 20, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
My local telco is AT&T and I have DSL with them which is the number I am using to have G/V forward calls to.  This was also my land line number, which I have just had AT&T do a dry loop on.  I will be dropping the land line in a few days and just using G/V forward to the dsl number for my home phones.  I know that if I use G/V on the pc I must use 10 digits out and people must use 10 digit to call me.  I was wondering from what I had read  in this forum that the OBi would read a 7 digit number and convert it to a 10 digit number for outgoing calls in your area code, but I could not find anything on whether incoming calls from people dialing 7 digits from within my area code would go through the Obi which would add the area code before reaching G/V.

As was stated prior, people call you as required by the local phone company, which is who carries the call from their phone to yours.  Whether you have an OBi, Magi Jack, Ooma, doesn't matter. 

On outgoing calls, the OBi can add the three digits, or any other number of digits, IF that is what is required for you to make calls in your area.  If your area requires 10 digits, and you setup the OBi to use 7 and not add those 3, the call will not go through.