News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SOLVED: Tearing my hair out with newbie install

Started by heavyharmonies, March 10, 2011, 05:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heavyharmonies

I suppose I could do that, although I think I'll wait until tomorrow, as it means I wouldn't have any Internet access to use while that connection is in place. Would make any long-term testing infeasible.

Given that I have experienced ZERO connectivity issues with all the network devices I listed above as being on my home network, I have a hard time believing the router is the culprit, as conceivably I would have experienced other difficulties (although I supposed there could possibly be a router setting or settings that is expressly tripping up the OBi110 but not any other devices).

plugger2

Quote from: heavyharmonies on March 10, 2011, 07:34:13 PM
I suppose I could do that, although I think I'll wait until tomorrow, as it means I wouldn't have any Internet access to use while that connection is in place. Would make any long-term testing infeasible.

Given that I have experienced ZERO connectivity issues with all the network devices I listed above as being on my home network, I have a hard time believing the router is the culprit, as conceivably I would have experienced other difficulties (although I supposed there could possibly be a router setting or settings that is expressly tripping up the OBi110 but not any other devices).

Can you explain why you two routers in your LAN? Going through two routers to get to the Internet is usually a no-no with VoIP due to "double NATing" problems, and usually leads to conflicts with one router interfering with the other. Are you sure the second one is a router, and not a switch?

FWIW, I've now got my OBi110 going through a DIR655 without problems, although I had to a) turn off SIP ALG, and b) put the OBI110 in the DMZ.

Also, VoIP is quite demanding with respect to router configuration compared to things like simple web browsing. So yes, it is quite conceivable that some limitations and problems with your router set-up is only showing up now that you are trying to get the OBI110 going. BTW, check the firmware revision of your DIR655 and let me know what it is in case you need to update it.

heavyharmonies

Quote from: plugger2 on March 13, 2011, 06:23:37 AM
Can you explain why you two routers in your LAN? Going through two routers to get to the Internet is usually a no-no with VoIP due to "double NATing" problems, and usually leads to conflicts with one router interfering with the other. Are you sure the second one is a router, and not a switch?

You are correct, my mistake, the second is a switch, not another router.

Well, I thought I had the problem fixed, but not so much.

I went out and purchased a Cisco E2000 router and replaced the DI-655 with it Friday night. Everything was working fine with the OBi110 and making outgoing calls... until this morning. I woke up to find the OBi110 back in power-LED-flashing mode and cannot make any outgoing calls ("No service available..."). Rebooting the OBi110 dos nothing.

When I swapped in the E2000, I did not do any special or unusual configuration in the router, other than setting the wireless security key. It was simply swap out and repower everything on in the proper order.

So now what?

-Dan

jimates

According to Obihai support, SIP ALG settings only matter for SIP providers, not Google.

I had a D-Link dir615 and I had to make some changes in my router when I stated using my netTALK Duo. Then when I got the Obi110 I had trouble with dropped calls after about 3 minutes.

I changed to a Cisco WRVS4400N and had no problems with either the Obi and the netTALK Duo, using factory config on the router.

heavyharmonies

Is anyone else using the OBi110 with Comcast Cable as their provider?

Since I'm seeing identical behavior (falling off the network) with two different routers now, I can only assume the problem is either my ISP or the OBi110 itself...

Right now I cannot connect to the box in any way. The only solution is to do a hard factory reset. Not a viable long-term solution.

heavyharmonies

Came home and did a hard reset (hole on bottom) and box rebooted, working fine. Was able to make outgoing calls. 2 hours later it fell off the network and started flashing green.

Not a very useful device if I have to hard reset it every time I need to make a call... not to mention the fact that no one can call me.

jimates

I have Comcast, 3mb.
I am using my own modem, a 5 - 6 year old Motorola Surfboard. I had issues with dropped calls with my D-Link dir615 but I was ready to change to gigabit anyways so I put in my Linksys/Cisco WRV E4400N.

I have 2 Obi110's and have no problems with them staying online.

heavyharmonies

Well this is disappointing. OBi support is seemingly not interested in helping me solve the problem:

QuoteIt looks like Obi110 device is no working well with your home network.

If you are not able to use the device, please return it to Amazon for a full refund.

I want to make this work, not return the device... especially considering the $75 I spent on a DECT phone system to use with the OBi110.

biomesh

I think someone mentioned that they used a switch to connect the Obi to their network to resolve an issue with DHCP or AutoNeg of the speed/duplex. 

You might want to try that and see if it helps your situation.

I have Comcast HSI and have had no issues with the Obi losing connectivity, but I do have my Obis plugged into a switch and not the router itself.

jimates

Well this is disappointing. OBi support is seemingly not interested in helping me solve the problem:

did you email support@obihai with the problem? No one else has reported negatively about support.

heavyharmonies

Quote from: jimates on March 15, 2011, 11:02:06 AM

did you email support@obihai with the problem? No one else has reported negatively about support.

Yes. The quote I included above was a direct response from a support ticket.

Since then I've received another email suggesting another debugging step, which I will try.

It appears as if the helpfulness varies greatly depending on who replies to a support ticket each time a response is sent in.

heavyharmonies

I just wanted to follow up on this issue. OBi sent me out a new box, which I installed Tuesday evening. It has now been 48 hours and the new box has not lost its IP address or gone into flashing LED mode even once that I've been aware of.

So it appears that the problem was a faulty OBi110.