News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Should I use an Asus RT N16 modem on my Bell Canada system?

Started by Robert.Thompson, December 24, 2012, 07:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:
I receive Bell High Speed Internet & Bell Fibe TV through the router that they supplied - Sagemcom F@st 2864.

My Obi 202 is plugged into one of the ports on the Sagemcom.

Is there any value to adding a Asus RT N16 to the mix? If so, do I go Bell -> Asus -> Obi or Asus -> Bell -> Obi?

What improvement(s) might I expect?

Thanks.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Rick

It is a router, not a modem.   You already have a combination router/modem, you don't need anything else.

giqcass

I have the RT N16.  I have ran it in both configurations.  I love my RTN16.
Current config = Modem>Obi>RTN16
Old config = Modem>RTN16>Obi

I can't say there was any improvement either way as long as you use QOS settings on the RTN16.  If the Obi is connected first its simpler because you don't have to worry about settings on the router and it leaves an extra port open on the RTN16.  If you want the Dynamic DNS to function properly on the RTN16 it needs to be on the outside of the network.

I looked at the specs for the Sagemcom F@st 2864 and I can't see any reason (on paper) you would want to add the RTN16 unless you you wanted to run DDRWRT for extra functionality.  As rick pointed out, it would just be an extra piece of unnecessary hardware.  If you add an extra piece you add extra problems.
Long live our new ObiLords!