News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

outgoing caller ID

Started by DebC, December 26, 2012, 10:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebC

I just installed my OBI 100. All I intend to use it for is to make free long distance calls. Problem is, many of the people I want to call won't answer cuz they assume it's a telemarketer. Is there any way I could get my home phone # to show up on their caller ID? Or at least always have the same # show up so they could at least get to know that #? When I've used my OBI to call my own home phone it doesn't always display the same # on my caller ID.

CoalMinerRetired

You didn't mention what VoIP service you plan to use for the Obi110. No matter which one (Voip.ms, CallCentric, Avneo, etc.) you use, they will either assign you or you will choose a phone number (it doesn't have to be in your local area code) and that is what anyone with caller ID will see when you place a call. Note that this is the caller ID number only, not the name. The number and the name are two separate fields, and are handled by the standards of the public phone system slightly differently.

> Is there any way I could get my home phone # to show up on their caller ID?
There are two possible ways to do this. 1) port your existing number to any of the VoIP providers, including Google Voice. GV is the big attraction of the Obi devices, no other ATA devices work with GV, GV has no cost calls to anywhere in the US and Canada, thus a nice cost-saving deal. 2) Use one of the VoIP providers who allow you to control the number (Caller ID) and name (Caller ID Name) that is associated with an outgoing call. Voip.ms is one such provider, I've never used them but I read about it enough to know they do allow doing this.

giqcass

Assuming you are using Google to make the calls you should make sure you are using the full Google Voice system and not just Google Voice Voicemail or Gchat.  What I mean by this is do you have a Google assigned phone number?  If you do that is the number that will always be displayed.  If you are using some other provider let us know which one so we might direct you to the correct set up.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Larva

Quote from: DebC on December 26, 2012, 10:20:24 AM
I just installed my OBI 100. All I intend to use it for is to make free long distance calls. Problem is, many of the people I want to call won't answer cuz they assume it's a telemarketer. Is there any way I could get my home phone # to show up on their caller ID? Or at least always have the same # show up so they could at least get to know that #? When I've used my OBI to call my own home phone it doesn't always display the same # on my caller ID.

I haved the same exact problem. Because i buy obio for the same reason, only for internationals calls.
  here is my topic where you can read the solution, please read carefully ok.

also I'm not sure if Obi100 will do what you want, because it dont have the line port for you landline.

Mark.P

Anveo will allow you to set the Outbound CallerID. You can set CallerID Number to any phone number that you 'own'. It does not send  the CallerName only CallerNumber.

A cheap VOIP service might be better alternative than a free one, if your friends and family are unwilling to answer calls with unfamiliar CallerID information.

DebC

I'm using Google to make the calls. How do I get a # from Google Voice?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: DebC on December 30, 2012, 08:48:33 AM

Several ways:

Easiest: See "How to Get Google Voice" here.

More complicated: See "Port Your Number to Google Voiceâ„¢" here, and discussed at length here.

DebC

I don't have a number to port, I will still be using my POTS.

DebC

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on December 30, 2012, 08:55:28 AM
Quote from: DebC on December 30, 2012, 08:48:33 AM

Several ways:

Easiest: See "How to Get Google Voice" here.

Thanks, I got a # from google voice. I was able to get one for a city my sister lives in so she can call me without it being LD. Can't get my name to show on caller ID but at least it will be the same # every time I call.