News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

E911 problem--is it Anveo or Obi202?

Started by Peg_M, December 31, 2012, 03:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peg_M

I am using Google Voice with Obi202 and Anveo for E911 service.  With the permission of my local police, I called 911 to test that all my information came through correctly.

The address was correct but the phone # was incorrect.  Anveo told me that this was for "legal reasons" but that if the phone # on the emergency dispatcher's screen was called, it would ring my home phone #.  I asked my local police to check this--and my home phone did indeed ring.

BUT...I don't like this.  If someone besides me calls 911, it may be very confusing for them.  Is the problem with Obihai 202 or with Anveo?  Why doesn't my correct home phone # show?
Many thanks.  Peg M

jeffml

This is on the Anveo side and is for safety/legal reasons.  At the time of an 911 emergency call out, Anveo sets up a number that will bypass any Anveo server side call processing (forwarding, quiet hours, telemarketing/spam stuff, ...) you may have previously configured.  This ensures that the 911 folks can reach the caller should the call drop.

It is unfortunately a trade-off that in certain situations isn't perfect.  They have decided to error on the side of safety.

Peg_M

Many thanks for the explanation. 

Is the situation the same with Callcentric--i.e. that the emergency dispatcher sees a Callcentric created # that rings my home #?

Many thanks, Peg

Everton

I have GV setup on OBi110 and Anveo setup on SP2 for E911.  I do not have a DID (number) with Anveo.  Irrespective of having an Anveo DID, along with Callcentric, Anveo shows a callback number to the E911 Operator that is unknown to you and unique to your "call", which allows for the e911 operator to call back in case of a hang up.  That is how there E911 works and if you you find this unacceptable, you should shop for an alternative E911 Provider.

Callcentric and Anveo use of an alternative callback number offers certain advantages over the standard approach.  For instance, if you have all incoming calls to you Home Number sent to voicemail or routed somewhere else during the 911 callback, your calls would not get to you and the Police will likely be dispatched to your home.  I fail to see how Anveo (or Callcentric) approach will be confusing, since you can be reached on either your Home number of the unique Anveo number.

BTW, this issue has been discussed at length on this forum if you care to do some basic search.

Peg_M

Jeff ML--Many thanks.