News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Allow Unit Specific Speed Dials instead of Global Speed Dials

Started by MrGadget, December 28, 2012, 12:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGadget

If this is a REPOST - Sorry, Search did not find any matches.

The Obi Dashboard has a single, shared  set of Speed Dial locations for all OBi units in the account. Having more than one Obi can be a problem, assuming they are in different parts of the world, and may have different dialing plans, defaults, requirements.

It would be more practical to have DEVICE specific Speed Dials from the Dashboard. That way, each device could maintain unique dialing based upon it's location and situation.  Also, allow for Device Configuration Export from the ObiExpert, not just Device Import Configuration. (The export file can be used to create documentation on the running configurations of each device, including the speed dials, for publication purposes).

Example:
Speed Dial Loc 13: **45551212
This may work fine on a OBi202, but would not work on a 100 or 110.

The alternatives could be management intensive:
1) Create account for each and every Obi Device for management.
Con: Too many email accounts, not very user friendly.
2) Use ObiExpert to change the Speed Dials in each device.
Con: Could be dangerous in the wrong hands...

MurrayB

+1

I configure my units locally so it eliminates this issue. It would be a nice feature.

MrGadget

Quote from: MurrayB on December 28, 2012, 02:52:19 PM
+1

I configure my units locally so it eliminates this issue. It would be a nice feature.

Local manageable units get around this problem, yes, however, remote units are very difficult to manage 'locally' (without onsite help configuring router holes).

It would also be nice to have total control remotely using the portal, not just a small subset of features to access.