News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two OBis Create One Problem

Started by Stu-be, December 29, 2012, 10:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu-be

I have an OBI 100 and I use GV with it as my home line. I have GV set so that when I "Press 1" the other person's call always comes through. Always works just fine.  HOWEVER, I have one friend who also has an OBi 100 with a GV home-line set-up exactly like mine.  When she calls and I "Press 1" it ignores my pressing and keeps requesting that I "Press 1".  I can "Press 1" until I am blue in the face.  Eventually, her calls always go into GV voicemail.  This is the only situation where this is happening is where we are both using OBi set-ups.  I sohould point out that I can call her without this happening?  Some software glitch? On whose system? Ideas?

CoalMinerRetired

I'd be more suspicious of her GV configuration then your OBI configuration.

You say " ... keeps requesting that I 'Press 1'." I take that to mean you are doing the GV forwarding to CC with CNAM that is discussed on here. Absent this setup a GV call directly into an OBI will have no voice prompts whatsoever about pressing 1, or anything else (reply back if you're unsure of this point). 

Try this to eliminate your Obi device from the pciture:  Have your friend call but you receive the call via the Gmail/GChat in a browser via the Gmail/Google Chat add-in.  Observe if you see the same behavior.

Reply back and let us know what happens.

Stu-be

Wow!  You are exactly on the money in that I have CallCentric CNAM and she does not.  (How did you know?  I thought all GV gave you the "Press 1" for call and "Press 2" for VM after you requested it the very first time they called.)  I will try your test and get back to with what happens.

CoalMinerRetired

I knew you were forwarding GV calls to another phone number, because that is the only way to get the 'audio' Caller ID/Call Announce' to work for GV calls answered on an Obi.

I guessed CC because it's clearly the most popular way to do it, because it's discussed a lot on here.

> I thought all GV gave you the "Press 1" for call and "Press 2" for VM after you requested it the very first time they called.
Common misunderstanding that trips a lot of people new to this.  I started a thread and went through a lengthy back and forth, even the experienced people on here were misunderstanding it (in hindsight mostly my fault 'cause I wasn't describing it correctly). Here's the thread if you're interested in the full back and forth, start at the linked message.

A few more details on how to troubleshoot: As mentioned, observe if it works via Google Chat in a browser, note that you will not get the voice prompts.  Next try it by routing the GV call directly to your Obi, eliminating your CC forward number from the mix and do it with both X_SkipCallSreeening disabled and enabled.  The results should eliminate one or more pieces from the process and get you pointed in the right direction.

Stu-be

It seems like I may be faced with an all or nothing proposition.  A couple of months ago, I had unchecked Google Chat as a line that GV ran through.   Hence, I had GV ringing only through to my CallCentric CNAM phone number.

To make Google Chat work again, I re-checked Google Chat.   GV is once again ringing through both my  CallCentric  CNAM number and Google Chat.  Now, My friend gets through, immediately.  I am no longer asked if I wish to Press 1 to accept or Press 2 to go to voicemail.  That's fine, I don't mind with her.  I am just wondering if I will still have the Press 1 or Press 2 feature when other people call --- especially with unrecognized numbers. 

I guess only time will tell.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Stu-be on December 30, 2012, 03:11:07 PM
It seems like I may be faced with an all or nothing proposition.  A couple of months ago, I had unchecked Google Chat as a line that GV ran through.   Hence, I had GV ringing only through to my CallCentric CNAM phone number.

This is of course what you want to revert back to.

Quote from: Stu-be on December 30, 2012, 03:11:07 PM
To make Google Chat work again, I re-checked Google Chat.   GV is once again ringing through both my  CallCentric  CNAM number and Google Chat.  Now, My friend gets through, immediately.  I am no longer asked if I wish to Press 1 to accept or Press 2 to go to voicemail.  That's fine, I don't mind with her.  I am just wondering if I will still have the Press 1 or Press 2 feature when other people call --- especially with unrecognized numbers. 

I guess only time will tell.
You did not mention if you have the all important setting X_SkipCallScreening enabled on the SP service for the GV number. Voice Services > SPx Service > Calling Features > near the bottom of the list. bear in mind if this is enabled it's the same as you pressing "1" without ever being prompted.

Also, this is to point out with your above settings an incoming call on your GV number will 'ring' on both SPx services, and if they are both 'pointed to' the same physical phone port (X_InboundCallRoute) you'll likely see odd behavior (in my experience, on an Obi202). Edit: You have an Obi100 so only one phone port? What is supposed to happen when one incoming call points to a phone port that is ringing -- seemingly this is the case when both GV and CC ring the same phone port, but one call comes in a few milliseconds before the other -- didn't happen, in my limited experience, on an Obi202.

Running through what you say above, assume these points: A GV forwarded call to a CC number will always get the voice prompts, and since you're not getting the voice prompts you are answering the call on the GV SP line, not on the CC SP line. This seems to indicate X_SkipCallScreening is enabled on the GV line, which means sending the "1" works via GV (even though the Obi is sending the "1" without you pressing 1).  This points to CC being the issue in not recognizing the "1", when receiving a call from your friend's line only.  That sounds a little far fetched, but not impossible. 

There's nothing in the CC dashboard (except maybe call treatments, I haven't use them, and maybe CC voicemail, which you don't want or need) that would affect behavior like this.  You can try calling the CC number directly and see if it all works ok, and then contact CC support, they're pretty good about tracking down odd behavior like this.

Stu-be

The solution turned out to be far easier than I had initially imagined. 
I looked at my friend's contact page.  For some reason "Google Talk" appeared there with the box checked.  None of my other contacts have this. (However, She is a heavy user of many Goolgle Services so it may have showed up there when I added her GV contact to my list.)
I unchecked that Google Talk box and now she is coming through just like all of my other CC CNAM calls. I hear "Press 1", I press 1 and we are connected.

By the way, under GV Settings I keep my CC phone number checked, and do not check Google Chat.  This seems to work.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Stu-be on January 01, 2013, 07:20:24 AM
The solution turned out to be far easier than I had initially imagined. 
I looked at my friend's contact page.  For some reason "Google Talk" appeared there with the box checked.  None of my other contacts have this. (However, She is a heavy user of many Goolgle Services so it may have showed up there when I added her GV contact to my list.)
I unchecked that Google Talk box and now she is coming through just like all of my other CC CNAM calls. I hear "Press 1", I press 1 and we are connected.

By the way, under GV Settings I keep my CC phone number checked, and do not check Google Chat.  This seems to work.
That is also something which trips up a lot of people.

It's what you could name 'multiple redundant, overlapping and contradicting' settings for the Google Chat forward to selection. For the record here, the redundant setting could be on a contact, or in a groups& circles setting.  It took me a while to figure out I had one buried several layers deep in a group that referred to the settings of another (unused) group.

> By the way, under GV Settings I keep my CC phone number checked, and do not check Google Chat.  This seems to work.
This is what you want.