News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

A detailed HowToGeek article featuring Obi devices

Started by jwcmb, February 12, 2013, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwcmb

I thought this was a good, fairly detailed article with set-up instructions featuring the Obi products, titled "How to Switch to VoIP and Ditch Your Home Phone Bill Forever". The article is dated 2/12/2013.

http://www.howtogeek.com/136959/how-to-switch-to-voip-and-ditch-your-home-phone-bill-forever/

Felix

Did you guys like it? I don't know the audience for the website - but I found it annoying from both new-to-VoIP and new-to-Obi perspective. Generally speaking, it's 2013 - not 2003; even my 80-year old Aunti Millie saw enough Vonage commercial to know what's VoIP. If you have never heard about VoIP - don't start with OBI; sign up with something like VoIP or PhonePower.

I found it confusing for non-technical user. A big distinguishing factor of OBi is ability to have two phones, which is never mentioned. So the patronizing statement
OBi202 is overkill for most residential situations. The OBi202 supports four VoIP services (the 100 and 101 support up to 2), T.38 fax protocol (allows for IP-to-IP faxing), and includes a simple two-port router with an additional USB port for attaching a Wi-Fi adapter or network storage drive. Unless you need the T.38 fax protocol (and intend to get an additional VoIP provider that supports it) there is little reason to spend the extra money for the OBi202—it's over powered as a VoIP gateway and underpowered as a router.
is very misleading. Actually, it double-misleading - Google Voice supports faxing; so you don't need an additional VoIP provider.
I can go on and on, but I'll just list a simple error that shows me that the author was sloppy in writing:
QuoteIf retaining traditional access to your local 911 service is critical (or you want to keep a bare bones line for use with a security system) then opting for a the OBi110 or OBi202 is necessary
No - just OBi110... Of course, the author knows it - he is just sloppy

obmsonge

which is never mentioned. So the patronizing statement.