News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which OBI to get?

Started by mokenakam, December 29, 2012, 10:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokenakam

After reading all the options, most of the added features to all devices beyond OBI100 are beyond my need or understanding.  Couple basic questions:

1.  If all i want to do is use the OBI and Goggle voice do i need more than the 100?  (i have land line now but will eliminate and transfer # when i get my OBI as prescribed by earlier recommendation by the group - thanks)
2. If i go with the 100 is transfer number still possible or is the transfer of the number needing a different device?
3. Are the options for 911 also available with this model also, looks like GVoice cannot do 911, so a different provider for 911 is needed.  All ok with the 100?

Am i missing something or is the basic unit all i need?  Maybe i am my ignorance is getting in the way but not sure i need the other features.  Any features a must have for a basic user like me?

I got 5 kids so land line still needed and need to get 911, just in case.  Plus my wife does not carry her cell so mom call home phone often.

Thanks for help, and any input to my frugal decision.   :)

Rick

Quote from: mokenakam on December 29, 2012, 10:36:52 AM
After reading all the options, most of the added features to all devices beyond OBI100 are beyond my need or understanding.  Couple basic questions:

1.  If all i want to do is use the OBI and Goggle voice do i need more than the 100?  (i have land line now but will eliminate and transfer # when i get my OBI as prescribed by earlier recommendation by the group - thanks)
2. If i go with the 100 is transfer number still possible or is the transfer of the number needing a different device?
3. Are the options for 911 also available with this model also, looks like GVoice cannot do 911, so a different provider for 911 is needed.  All ok with the 100?

Am i missing something or is the basic unit all i need?  Maybe i am my ignorance is getting in the way but not sure i need the other features.  Any features a must have for a basic user like me?

I got 5 kids so land line still needed and need to get 911, just in case.  Plus my wife does not carry her cell so mom call home phone often.

Thanks for help, and any input to my frugal decision.   :)

1) Nope.  100 is fine.
2) All OBi's use GV.  GV is where you transfer the number to, hence no issues.
3) You use the 2nd VoIP line, SP2, for your E911 setup if GV is your first line, i.e. SP1.  Again, ALL OBi devices allow this. 

mokenakam

Felix

Just to clarify something...
Quotei have land line now but will eliminate and transfer #
Quoteland line still needed

In the first quote you seem to equate "land line" with PSTN (aka "plain old telephone service", as opposed to VoIP). In the second quote you use "land line" to mean "not cellular". If you are not planning to use PSTN (first quote) - then OBi100 is perfect. If you do need PSTN, then you can benefit from OBi110 features

HTH

giqcass

The 110 is good for people keeping a landline phone service and the 202 is for junkies like me that want to do more then simple calling.  For you the 100 is fine.  Remember that if the power or internet go out so does your phone service and 911.  You can connect a backup power supply to the Obi, router, and modem to prevent loss of connectivity during a power outage. That still leaves the problem of internet connectivity.

There are options.  Personally I keep a cellphone tethered to my Cell fusion unit and that is plugged into my Obi.  That has a battery backup and can make calls using the cell phone if everything dies.

Some people just keep old cell phones charged up.  Even if you don't have a monthly or prepaid plan they can still make 911 calls.  For $10 Pageplus.com has a prepaid cell phone plan with 100 minutes. That's what I have in case of outages.  The cool part is the minutes last for 120 days and if you top up they roll over.  This gives you a complete backup plan for $30 per year.
Long live our new ObiLords!

dircom

And if there are 7 people in your household you might want to get the OBI 202
Two people can have different phone calls going on at the same time