News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What are the chances that Google Voice will still be free for the U.S. in 2013?

Started by onepolarbear, December 03, 2012, 06:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

What are the chances that Google Voice
will still be free for the U.S. in 2013?

It's already December and there's no word
from Google on this issue.  I can't be the
only wondering about this question, right? :)

ThnakS!

infin8loop

If I predict it will continue to be free in 2013 then it's doomed to be discontinued or fees will be added. Therefore I make no predictions. Stay tuned for an announcement on Dec 22, if anyone is still around to hear it. LOL

I think this guy may have some of the basics correct: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9134912/Elgan_Why_Google_Voice_is_free

I'm not sure I'd agree that humans do some of the transcription. Trained monkeys, I could believe. But then Amazon offers http://aws.amazon.com/mturk/faqs/, I guess anything is possible. 
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Rick

Quote from: onepolarbear on December 03, 2012, 06:36:26 PM
What are the chances that Google Voice
will still be free for the U.S. in 2013?

It's already December and there's no word
from Google on this issue.  I can't be the
only wondering about this question, right? :)

ThnakS!

98.43% likely

Actually, you are.  Since it's documented in many places, including this forum, that they announce it in mid December (last year it was December 13th, so mark your calendars).  Since it's early December you are the only one asking.   :D

jjtricket

pen25

fee's and surcharges are only needed to be collected if offering services like e911. since no e911 is offered there is no charges. if they start collecting fee's then there is a good possibility there would be fee's/taxes.

Rick

Quote from: jjtricket on December 04, 2012, 05:48:44 PM
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Google-Wont-Include-Phone-in-Google-Fiber-122285

This story might offer a hint as to whether Google Voice will remain free.

"State and Federal Regulations Too Difficult"

Saw this posted in like 4 places on the OBi forums.  That's 4 times information that has nothing to do with  the question.

Google Voice is a service that the vast majority of people utilize separate from their home phone.  They haven't ported to GV, they use it to call from their home, cell, or computer to somewhere in the U.S. or Canada for free.  It's easy to have GV call the phone where you're at and then make the outbound call.  This service is what is currently free, and that hopefully will continue to be free in 2013 (and perhaps beyond).  This service belongs to an industry commonly called VoIP. 

The link posted refers to home phone service.  That service is where you pickup a landline in a home and dial the phone, which today is furnished by companies like AT&T, Verizon, and others.  That service exists in an industry that is viewed as a utility, and is regulated by states and the federal government.  Changes to pricing and levels of service have to go through regulator boards and meet conditions.  Providers that wish to join this industry have to meet requirements.  If Google provided phone service as part of their high speed experiment, they'd have to meet that requirement also, which includes providing E911 service.  While those requirements may not be as strict as the ones that AT&T and Verizon live under, they have requirements none the less.  One big one for Google would be providing what is seen as a normal level of CUSTOMER SERVICE, which is a big unknown for the company (and of course is required for their high speed service).

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Rick on December 05, 2012, 06:25:14 AM
Quote from: jjtricket on December 04, 2012, 05:48:44 PM
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Google-Wont-Include-Phone-in-Google-Fiber-122285

This story might offer a hint as to whether Google Voice will remain free.

"State and Federal Regulations Too Difficult"

Saw this posted in like 4 places on the OBi forums.  That's 4 times information that has nothing to do with  the question.

Agreed. I saw this posted multiple times also, and I don't see any clear connection between what is stated in the linked write up and if or why GV will be free in the US in 2013 or beyond.

jjtricket

Quote from: pen25 on December 04, 2012, 10:27:02 PM
fee's and surcharges are only needed to be collected if offering services like e911. since no e911 is offered there is no charges. if they start collecting fee's then there is a good possibility there would be fee's/taxes.

I guess my point was if they start charging anything they would have to comply with a host of State and Federal Regulations. By keeping it free, perhaps they do not.

wolfv

I thought Google would have announced free Google Voice for 2013 by now.  Did I miss the announcement???

giqcass

All phone service providers in the US and Canada must provide some form of 911.  Google flew through the loophole because they claim to not be a phone service provider.  Google Voice only reroutes phone calls.

They did not announce it in the usual place but calls made through Gmail are free for 2013.  The Obi uses Gmail to make the calls so yes they will be free.
Long live our new ObiLords!