News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

(2) Obi 202's in one place: Distinctive ring and other questions

Started by Chuck_in_ABQ, January 01, 2013, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck_in_ABQ

I have 2 Obi 202's behind one router, the purpose to allow each family member to have a GV account that rings to the house in addition to their cell. I have a total of 6 GV accounts, plus a basic Anveo account for 911 service. I plan the following assignments:

Obi1:
SP1=old home number (GV)
SP2=My old cell number (GV)
SP2=Wife old cell number (GV)
SP3=Anveo 911 service (no number, just ougoing 911 service)
Obi2:
SP1=child 1 GV
SP2=child 2 GV
SP3=child 3 GV

House phone is connected to ph1 port on Obi1
Some users will also have ObiApps on Android or Ipod devices

I plan to use either of ROnR's setups, http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0 or http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.20. The second is preferred so it does not rely on Obitalk for local communications (when the handset on obi-1 PH1 is used)

Intent is that all incoming calls on either Obi be routed to PH1 on obi1, as well as to obitalk applications for some users, and preferably with distinctive ringing on all users. Outgoing, home phone account will be used as default. However, if user presses **x, where x is 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, the call will go out through the correct Obi and port (5, 6, 7 are sp1, 2, 3 on obi 2).

A few questions:
1. If I use the SIP version, will that work with all GV accounts like I have? I believe this is straightforward using the obitalk method.

2. I can set distinctive ring on Obi1 for SP1-SP4, plus another for Obitalk source. Is there any way to set additional distinctive rings on the phone connected to obi-1 ph1 port, for the incoming calls from each SPx service on obi2?

3.Can I blend the methods, so that obitalk applications still connect via obitalk, but handset operations use SIP-based direct communication?

Thank you for posting these basic setups, they have helped in a big way!

Chuck

CoalMinerRetired

Disclaimer: I've only started to play around with the SIP schemes (not the ObiTalk method) you are referring to.  So I'm still in the experimenting stage and haven't finalized things yet.  

The way you are proceeding is the right way to approach it.

A few answers.
1. For Obi1, I think since Anveo is a true SIP client you're ok. For OBi2 you may need to configure SP4 as a base sip client, 127.0.0.1, etc.  There are two more relevant threads that may help with some background, the second of these two specifically discusses the need for a SIP client vs. all GV:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4635.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4633.0

2. Distinctive Rings. A subject that is under discussed on here, IMO.  I guess you already know to edit and associate ring patterns (Ring Pattern 1-10) with an SPX service (X_RingProfile, X_DefaultRing). That is the basic premise.

I've experimented quite a bit with ring patterns, and can add some pointers.  
- One big point is the settings (look up Ring Profile A & B Features of the OBi Device in the Device Admin manual) do not act as granular as you would expect. So for example, if you set 0.1 seconds on, and 0.1 seconds off then repeat this for 30 seconds as the cadence you might not get a ring as you'd expect.  In some cases the mechanical inertia aspect of the ring-sound producing component in a phone/handset affects this -- even though the ring producing component is all electronic -- the sound might not come out as expected, the ring sound will not stop exactly at 0.1 seconds, and will not start again at exactly 0.2 seconds. This effect of course varies by phone handset used.
- One other thing that seemed inconsistent for me was the way the Obi started the time cycle patterns. For example, I had (still have) one pattern setup as a three ring pattern. It was (.2 sec ring, .1 sec off) repeated there times, i.e., three .2 sec rings with three .1 second off, then wait four seconds, 60;(.2+.1,.2+.1,.2+4). However the initial ring(s) before the first 4 second wait only did two rings, and sometimes the second ring would only have two of the three rings.  Experimenting with two or three different handsets let me to conclude it was the Obi not the handsets that were the cause of the inconsistency.  The best I can deduce here is the Obi timing in these patterns/cadences is not that accurate or consistent down to the 0.1 second increment.
- Last big point is ring patterns may affect the delivery of Caller ID.  Caller ID used in North America is defined as being delivered between the "first and second ring bursts." What is not ever stated here is the rings are assumed to be the usual 2.0 sec ring and 4.0 seconds off cadence/pattern. So an Obi does 'analyze' you custom ring pattern and determine when the first and second ring is, it assumes the standard 2 sec on/4 sec off and send the Caller ID accordingly.  The point to take away here is you can make all the custom rings you want, so long as they allow for the Caller ID delivery.  Experimenting is the best way to figure out this point.  If you get deep into this, there's a suggestion in the feature request section related to this.

3. No experience on my part for this question.

*In hindsight, I'm not sure the distinctive rings will work across SIP connections like this (".. all incoming calls on either Obi be routed to PH1 on obi1"), I presume they will, don't see, can't think of any reason why not.

Hope this helps.

I'll be interested to hear how this all works for you, i.e., reply back and let us know!

Chuck_in_ABQ

Thanks for the detailed reply, bringing up interesting topics on distinctive rings, which I'll have to explore once I get this all working.

However, it is still unclear to me how to get distinctive rings form obi#2 over to the phone port on obi#1. I guess maybe they would carry forward somehow when Obi#2, sp1 gets routed to obi#1, ph1. I'll have to give that a try.

So far I have only been using the pre-constructed distinctive rings in set A, but may have to adventure out into constructing my own.

I too have just started, still porting all my kid's mobiles to GV (plenty of roadblocks there)

Chuck

CoalMinerRetired

I'll be very interested to hear how the ring pattern from one Obi to the second Obi scheme works out. 

If Obi2 does not send the ring pattern to Obi1, then there's this blurb in the Device Admin manual, that maybe -- I can't picture how at the moment -- you insert a message into the call transfer to the Obi1 with the appropriate URI mentioned:
QuoteITSP Driven Distinctive Ringing
OBi device offers 10 ring and 10 call-waiting tone patterns in each ring profile. These patterns are numbered from 1 to 10. Each pattern also comes with a configurable name. A different default ring may be assigned to each trunk on the device.

An ITSP can tell OBi device which ring to use by name for a call routed to SP1/SP2 by inserting an Alert-Info header in the SIP INVITE sent to the device. The Alert-Info must include a URI. For example:

Alert-Info: http://www.xyz.com/some-folder/bellcore-dr4

When the device receives this, it will look for a ring tone name or call-waiting tone name in the ring profile that matches the Alert-Info URI. Ring tone names are compared case- insensitively. If a match is found, device plays the corresponding ring or call-waiting tone. Otherwise, device plays the default ring.

The other thing I think (and hope) you can do is get a direct dial of "911" on Obi2 to automatically forward to and dial out on SP4 on Obi1.  From some experimenting I've done, I think you can do this using one User Defined Digit Map in Obi2.  Please do report back on this point, and if or when you get to it post up any questions.

What you're attempting is, from my POV, the more interesting thing I've seen attempted on here since I've gotten into it.

Chuck_in_ABQ

I get my second Obi tomorrow, probalby cannot play with setup until Friday. I'll report my findings. Sounds like I can force a ring pattern, but it is not clear how. Would be happy to force one of the 10 on the Obi, not have to go to a URL. Maybe someone from OBI can clarify how.

Plan is as you say on 911. One option might be to have both obi's have the Anveo account on port 4, but I am not certain that is a good idea. Further, outgoing calls are going to be form landline (ph1 on obi1), and that is the critical one to have go to 911. It is incoming routing, plus **x (1 to 6) for outgoing callerID, all from one handset, that I want. 911, there really is no need to route form Obi2 to Obi 1. Possibly if an obi app is talking, but it can go to obi1 directly anyway.

Chuck

Chuck_in_ABQ

I have set up the following:
Obi-1 (202):
SP1=home (GV) (ring house phone) (**1 or default)
SP2=Dad (GV) (ring house phone) (**2)
SP3=Mom (GV) (ring house phone plus obitalk on tablet) (**3)
SP4=Anveo free SIP (for 911) (911 and 933)
Ph has handset (all house phones)
Ph2 has fax machine (have not tested)
Obi-2
SP1=Kid1 (GV) (ring obitalk only) (**6)
SP2=Kid2 (GV) (ring house and tablet) (**7)
SP3=Kid3 (GV) (ring tablet only) (**8)

- Any user can call out from the house phone on their own account by preceding with the **n code.
- Distinctive ringtones are used on lines 1 through 4. Lines 6-8 come in on obitalk connection, and all have the same ringtone. This is ok since only one kid wants the house phone to ring. I was unable to find any way to get distinctive ringtones for all users on the second Obi for the phone connected to obi-1. Setting distinctive rings on obi-2 spn did not change the ring that arrived on ph1 of obi-1. The ring that arrived was set by the obitalk settings on obi1.
- When a user connects to their gateway with Obitalk app on tablet, their correct default trunk is used, such that for example, when Mom connects to Obi1, her default outgoing calls are on sp3. She does not have to dial **3 to present her callerID to friends.
- Press #, or *, or 123 on home phone to get voicemail (call own number at GV). Can call **n#, **n*, or **n123 to get other voice mails
-On tablets, same to get to VM except # and **n# does not work
- I have made the following setups:

Obi-1 = 5008yyyyy
Obi-2 = 5002yyyyy

Mom & Dad's obitalk gateways are set to 5008yyyyy
All kid's obitalk gateways are set to 5002yyyyy

Both Obi's
User maps:
Ste = (<311:15057682000>|<411:18003733411>|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1505>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.)
Cot = (2908yyyyy|2902yyyyy|2903yyyyy|2907yyyyy|29035yyyy|5002yyyyy)
Kid1 = (2903yyyyy)
Kid2 = (2907yyyyy)
Kid3 = (2902yyyyy)
Mom = (2908yyyyy)
Dad = (29035yyyy)
Out = ((Mste)|#|*|123)

Obi-1:
ITSP Profile N General;
DigitMap = ((Mste)|<[#*]:1505yyyyyyy>|<123:1505yyyyyyy>) where yyyyyyy is the Google Voice phone number for the person assigned to that channel
ITSP Profile D General
DigitMap = (911|933) for 911 and testing ONLY

Phone1
DigitMap = ([1-9]x?*@@.|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911S0|933S0|**0|***|**1{t=di2}(Msp1)|**2{t=di2}(Msp2)|**3{t=di2}  (Msp3)|**[6-8]{t=di2}(Mout)|**9{t=di2}(Mpp)|(Msp1))
OutboundCallRoute = {911:sp4},{933:sp4},{([1-9]x?*@@.):pp},{(**[6-8](Mout)):pp(ob500225223$2)},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},  {(Msp1):sp1}

Duplicated for phone2

SP1, InboundCallRoute = {ph1,ph2,pp(ob2908yyyyy)}  (calls Mom's tablet, fax, and house phone)
SP2, InboundCallRoute = {ph1}
SP3, InboundCallRoute = {ph1,pp(ob2908yyyyy)} (Calls Mom's tablet and house phone)
SP2, InboundCallRoute = {ph4}

Obitalk Service
DigitMap (unchanged) = (<ob>xxxxxxxxx|obxxxxxxxxx)
InboundCallRoute = {(Mcot)>(911): sp4}, {(Mcot)>(933): sp4},{(Mcot)>(<*1:>(Msp1)),(Mcot)>(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<*2:>(Msp2)),(Mcot)>(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<*3:>(Msp3)),(Mcot)>(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(Mcot)>(<*4:>(Msp4)),(Mcot)>(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(Mcot)>(*[6-8](Mout)),(Mcot)>(**[6-8](Mout)):pp(ob500225223$2)},{(Mmom)>(<:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(Mdad)>(<:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<*9:>(Mpp)),(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>(Mpli):sp1},{(Mcot)>(Mpli):sp1},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}  (If star codes are included, route as asked. If not, route based on user. Otherwise route to sp1. 911 and 933 routed to Anveo)

Similar things need to be done on AA, but I have not set that up yet...

Obi2:

ITSP Profile N General;
DigitMap = ((Mste)|<[#*]:1505yyyyyyy>|<123:1505yyyyyyy>) where yyyyyyy is the Google Voice phone number for the person assigned to that channel, same as Obi1

Phone1 and Phone 2 not set up, no handsets connected

SP1, InboundCallRoute = {pp(ob2903yyyyy)} (Routes to Kid 1 tablet only)
SP2, InboundCallRoute = {pp(ob5008yyyyy),pp(ob2907yyyyy)} (Routes to Kid 2 tablet and house phone on obi-1)
SP3, InboundCallRoute = {pp(ob2902yyyyy)} (Routes to Kid 3 tablet only)

Obitalk service:
Digitmap (unchanged) = (<ob>xxxxxxxxx|obxxxxxxxxx)
Inbound Call Route = {(Mcot)>(911): pp(ob5008yyyyy$2)}, {(Mcot)>(933): pp(ob5008yyyyy$2)},{(Mcot)>(<*6:>(Msp1)),(Mcot)>(<**6:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(Mcot)>(<*7:>(Msp2)),(Mcot)>(<**7:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(Mcot)>(<*8:>(Msp3)),(Mcot)>(<**8:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(Mcot)>(*[1-3](Mout)),(Mcot)>(**[1-3](Mout)):pp(ob5008yyyyy$2)}, {(Mkid1)>(<:>(Msp1)): sp1} ,{(Mkid2)>(<:>(Msp2)): sp2 ,{(Mkid3)>(<:>(Msp3)): sp3},{(Mcot)>(<*9:>(Mpp)),(Mcot)>(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mcot)>(Msp1):sp1},{(Mcot):aa},{ph}

SO, this MOSTLY works. I do have one issue, though. If I try to call voicemail, from a tablet connected to one obi (say, kid-1), and call to a voicemail on the other Obi, it fails (using say, **2123 to get to Dad's voicemail). If Kid-1 dials **6123, **7123, **8123, or 123, he gets connected to the appropriate VM. However, cross-connecting the two obi's to VM fails. However, from the house handset, we can dial **n# or **n123 where n is [1,2,3,6,7,8] and all works just fine! On Kid-1's tablet, I even tried to call **21505yyyyy where yyyyy was Dad's Google voice number, such that the only thing that has to happen is strip off the **2 (or *2 by the time it gets to Obi1)

The call history has limited information. Here are several attempts:

First call, I dialed **2123 on the tablet. On Obi2, the log shows:

12:56:07   From 'Dan' PP1(2903yyyyy; GW=2903yyyyy)   To PP1(*2123; GW=5008yyyyy)
12:56:08      Ringing
12:56:08      Call Connected
12:56:09   Call Ended   

On Obi1, the call routed to the AA (not sure why it did not resolve):

12:56:09   From 'Dan' PP1(2903yyyyy; GW=2903yyyyy)   To AA1
12:56:09      Ringing
12:56:13      Call Connected
12:56:20   Call Ended   

Second call, I dialed **2yyyyyyy where yyyyyyy is the 7-digit local phone number. On Obi2, it fully resolved the local phone number to a 10-digit number before passing it on:

12:56:30   From 'Dan' PP1(2903yyyyy; GW=2903yyyyy)   To PP1(*21505yyyyyyy; GW=5008yyyyy)
12:56:31      Ringing
12:56:31      Call Connected
12:56:32   Call Ended   
But on OBI-1, the phone call got "lost". The device showed connected, but I do not know what it was connected to. Never got any response form Google Voice, just a dead line. The "target transfer" is probably part of the problem:

12:56:30   From 'Dan' PP1(2903yyyyy; GW=5002yyyyy)   To GT2(1505yyyyyyy)
12:56:30      Ringing
12:56:31      Call Connected
12:56:32   New Peer: 'Dan' PP1(2903yyyyyyy; GW=2903yyyyyyy)   Transfer Target
12:56:48   Call Ended   

Third call I dialed **21505yyyyyyy, so that the only thing that has to happen is stripping of the *2. This resulted the same as call 2. It is apparently routing to the correct GT channel (#2). But, then something happens. Strange thing, if I dial **2zzzzzzz where zzzzzzz is any other number other than the GV number for channel 2, the call appears to go through (with a transfer target)!

Not sure what is going wrong when this setup calls GV rather than some other number (even if the other number is a GV number, just not the one that will dump right into VM).

Other than this, and the lack of distinctive ringing on Ph1 of Obi-1 when the call comes in on obi2, I am pleased with the setup.

Have not tested 933 from tablet connected to obi-2 yet...

RFord

Chuck:  I must admit that I have not read your post in detail, so I might have missed something.  How are you handling E911 on OBi_2?  I would think that in case of an emergency, the kids should be able access E911 from OBi_2.  If this is already addressed, please ignore my comments.

Maybe you can do some form of IP-Dialing (I don't know how you can do this with OBi ATA) and have all E911 outgoing calls from OBi_2 be done through OBi_1.  The other option would be to set-up a Sub-account at Anveo under your Main Account and setup that Sub-Account on SP4 on OBi_2.  Please check to make sure that the E911 for the Sub-Account will utilize the E911 information of the Main Anveo account to avoid paying two separate E911 charges.

Chuck_in_ABQ

The biggest issue with 911 through the tablets would be that they use those when out (wherever there is WiFi), and thus the location information is wrong.

If you look at the routing on the Obi-2 obitalk, the first two items take care of 911/933. Still need to test, but it should go on over to the sp4 on obi1.

Chuck

Chuck_in_ABQ

Well, almost right. All the outgoing calls are correct.

However, incoming calls on obi#2, line SP2, which get routed to obi#1 to ring in the house, actually end up going to aa. I had not put in the aa statement (next to last on obitalk incoming routing on obi#1) while working things out, but added it back in. It seems that the calls coming in on obi-2, forwarding to obi#1, are falling through to aa. Since obi-2 is in the COT, and the call has not matched any of the outgoing patterns, it must be trapped by the aa.

For now I removed the aa statement, so instead things fall through to the phone.

Any ideas how to get incoming calls from obi-2 to go to phone, but still have capability of aa? For now, I really don't need aa, so I'll keep it off, but I feel as though I am missing a step here. Maybe I should just remove the obi-2 from the COT?

Oh well, it works without aa

Chuck

ianobi

It does seem that the only time OBi#2's number is used in cot is incoming calls on obi#2, line SP2. However, I guess you might use the phone ports on OBi#2 one day, or kids may change their mind about having calls ring through to OBi#1.

You could try replacing {(Mcot):aa} with {(Mcot)>**0:aa}

This requires users within cot to send **0 to access aa, the same as dialling from the local phone port. All other calls will ring the phone.

infin8loop

Quote from: ianobi on January 06, 2013, 07:30:56 AM
It does seem that the only time OBi#2's number is used in cot is incoming calls on obi#2, line SP2. However, I guess you might use the phone ports on OBi#2 one day, or kids may change their mind about having calls ring through to OBi#1.

You could try replacing {(Mcot):aa} with {(Mcot)>**0:aa}

This requires users within cot to send **0 to access aa, the same as dialling from the local phone port. All other calls will ring the phone.

You may actually want to replace {(Mcot):aa} with {(Mcot)>*0:aa} in OBiTalk Service InboundCallRoute

This is how I modified Ron's Single-Stage Dialing through any Trunk (using OBiTalk). I route all calls coming into my Obi#2 to Obi#1 to take advantage of the only cordless phone system attached to Obi#1. Without this mod, incoming calls to Obi#2 were ending up in aa on Obi#1. QBZappy might remember this because he discovered it when he called me. I hate it when that happens. In testing I was expecting to end up in aa because my cellphone used to test was in trusted caller (which is different than circle of trust), so I didnt think anything of it.     
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

ianobi

Good thinking infin8loop  :)

A lot of my incoming routes are direct from softphones etc via an SPx where no * is lost. However, using OBiTALK a * is lost on the way from one OBi to another.

Chuck_in_ABQ

Thanks, Infin8loop. I was thinking someone else had to had this issues, and this makes sense. I did search and find your original post on the issue.

Anyone have thoughts on the dial-out from tablet to voicemail, bridging 2 obi's?

Thanks
Chuck