News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Could use some guidance

Started by Ray3, January 04, 2013, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray3

Hi - what a great resource!

I have been getting a headache reading/researching and would really appreciate some help with assessing what I want to do.  I can't seem to get to the answers I need.

I have two cell phones on an expired VZW contract.  My plan is to
A) setup/use GV with an OBI.

B) have the Obi to take the GV #s and call forward to our respective cell phone numbers (EACH GV # will forward to only ONE cell #)

C) attach a wireless phone base set (and its 4 additional wireless handsets) to ring all over the house with the forwarded. (We don't have an active landline)

D) move to Page Plus (prepaid)numbers and have a different ringtone for each number

Here is what I THINK I need to do in the proper order and there are some questions  and I could use some guidance.  

First, I need to setup Google Voice.  Currently, we both have Gmail accounts.  Questions:
1) should I set up new Gmail accounts for each of us to use exclusively for GV?

2) Should we EACH have a GV account since there will be 2 separate GV + cell phone numbers involved?  

3) Does it make more sense to either (i) get new GV #s and call forward to our existing cell #s or (ii) port our cell numbers to GV and then call forward those to our Obi numbers?  I'm thinking (i) and simply publishing the GV numbers to friends/family as our new numbers to call (also simplifies porting numbers to PagePlus)

Second, which OBI model and how to hook up
4) will the Obi 100 handle receiving calls from 2 GV separate numbers and forwarding each to only ONE separate number?

5) Which Obi do I want (I don't want to use 2 of them)

6)The house is hardwired for a network and my router is on the 2nd floor.  Can I plug the Obi into a network switch port on the first floor and then plug the wireless phone base set in there (easy access to recording device) or do I need to plug the Obi directly into the router?

Third, Phones
   7) does it make sense to set up GV and the Obi and get them working before I move to PagePlus?

What else should I be thinking about.  

CoalMinerRetired

B) You do not need an Obi to do this. GV can and does forward to a cell number without the Obi device in the middle, it can ring/forward to up to five numbers simultaneously. Some of your questions are asked in a way that appear you may not know this already.

1) Definitely yes use separate accounts for GV, separate from any "main" gmail account.  YOu can always forward any incoming messages to the main Gmail account.

2) Yes. two additional separate accounts.

3) Common dilemma. No one answer fits everyone, because of the various tradeoffs. 

One possible approach would be to get a GV #, give it out to a few people and determine how your usage works, what is important, to gradually wean people off your normal cell #.

There's also the big "Number porting to GV - my experience" thread on here. It's mostly people who port their land line to GV, lots of insightful stuff on there.

4) see answer B above. An Obi100 (or 110, or 202), while it can forward incomign calls on each SP (Service Provider, in case SP1 and SP2 will correspond to GV #1 and GV #2) to a different number, it's highest and best use is ringing analog phones attached to it's physical ports.  Picture it this way: In a traditional analog phone arrangement, say with Verizon Landline, the phone wires that connect your house to verizon are "cut off," and replaced by the Obi device. One or more of the phone ports on the Obi device give you the dial tone that you previously got and paid for from Verizon.

5) An Obi 100 can handle 2 GV accounts, and one analog phone line. You can use this. An Obi110 or Obi202 add a few more Gv accounts or analog phone lines.

6) Switch or router either will work. It's works just like at any other network device.

7) Yes, I'm not sure what page plus is or does. Best course of action if you're new to all this is get the basics working first.

Ray3

Thanks for the great response.  Your screen name indicates we're both retired.  Gives us time to noodle around the forums during the day!   ;D

I had already read the number porting thread you referenced here (thanks) and it was one of the biggest helps I had in getting to this point.  BTW, PagePlus is a prepaid service I will be using to replace Verizon Wireless.

I did know that the GV features can work without the Obi, but the Obi is required to add the use of the analog phone/extension handsets throughout the house.

Just so I am clear - you are saying that an Obi100 will allow me to plug in a wireless phone set and also let me do the following call forwarding with two separate GV #s and 2 different cell #s (your reference to SPs):
GV #001  >forward to > cell number 100 (=SP 1)
GV #002   >forward to> cell number 200 (=SP 2)

and I can assign different rings to each for analog phones to ring in house?

Sorry if I am a bit dense, but without the hardware and hands on with the software, it's a bit difficult to visualize.

Taking a GV # out for a test drive is a great thought.

CoalMinerRetired

> Just so I am clear - you are saying that an Obi100 will allow me to plug in a wireless phone set and also let me do the following call forwarding with two separate GV #s and 2 different cell #s (your reference to SPs):

Yes.  Although having the call forwarding setup in GV is the cleaner way to do it.

> and I can assign different rings to each for analog phones to ring in house?
Yes

Rick

If you forward your cells to GV, you use minutes.  Give out your GV numbers, or port your cell numbers to GV and get new cell numbers.

GV sends the call to the OBi AND lets you forward to the cell.  You don't need to have the OBi forward to the cell.

OBi allows you to pick different rings for each GV number.  Forwarded calls won't ring different because they ring as the line they are forwarded to rings...

Your plan to plug in the wireless phone is fine.  Alternatively, you can plug the OBi into the wall jack and plug phones in all over the house, including a wireless base.

Ray3

I understand now, I think.

Rick, I think we are saying the same thing (but you are saying it better).  I plan to setup a GV number and publish it to all friends/family (and maybe some other places - doctor, dentist, etc.) and have them call that GV number instead of my cell number.  I will then call forward that GV number to my cell number via Google Voice.  That should eliminate the cell number minutes use in those calls. 

The only reason for the Obi is to facilitate plugging in/using the analog phone/extensions all over the house.

Do I understand that correctly?

Rick

Ray3

Thank you for all of the input!

giqcass

Pageplus is a very good service by the way and most off contract Verizon phones can be switched over very easily.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Ray3

^^  Thanks for that validation!  Since I have no personal experience with GV, PagePlus and Obi, I am dealing with a lot of wild cards and some leaps of faith.