News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best Option for my Obi110 unit

Started by BillS, January 03, 2013, 08:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillS

Currently I have an Obi110 unit using Google Voice and it works fine most of the time.  Downside of this is my outgoing calls show my Google Voice number and not my old landline number.  I tried to transfer my land line number to a mobile phone (att) and then port to Google Voice, but Google Voice could not port numbers from my area code for some reason.   So I ported my land line number to Voipo.com  and they are forwarding any calls to my land line number to my Google Voice number for $35/yr (300 minutes) which I did not exceed this last year.  Works pretty good.

I'm wondering if there is a better option.  Maybe a service that I can have full phone service using my landline number and the Obi110 unit that wouldn't cost too much more per year.

Wondering what others are doing.

Thanks

MurrayB

You can search this forum for porting numbers. You will probably find info about people porting their number to GV successfully via Tracfone.

BillS

I did. I followed instructions porting it over to AT&T Go Phone.  That part worked.  Then I tried to port over to Google Voice and it would not allow.  I found that many people in many different area codes were having same problem.  Google did not have the access for facilities or something to allow porting from our area.  I was bumbed.

RFord

Well, you can use the same Voipo.com as your provider on say SP2.  You could get their full service and get the SIP credentials from them and set that up on SP2 (assuming GV is set up on SP1).  Their full service is more than $36 per year and normally, they like you to use their supplied ATA.  However, if I'm not mistaken, they will supply the SIP credential for you to use on your OBi110.  I think they say they will not provide any support for user supplied ATA.  They run multi-year discount promotions ever so often, which works out to be of the order of around $130+ per year.  Check with them or their Web Site for the pricing.  Using Voipo.com would avoid any porting fees in moving to another provider.

If I misunderstood your original question, please forgive.  BTW, have you checked recently with GV to see if your number might be portable today?  There are ways to check online to see if Bandwidth.com (the supplier of GV numbers) has presence in your area.

BillS

I haven't checked lately. I assume I would need to take it back to a mobile device first and check.  Last time the message said "This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting."

Is there another place to check on this ability?

Thanks for the info.

MikeHObi

Unless you are a business, it's far easier to eat the change of a POTS line and not bother porting.  They handful of businesses and friends that call you should be pretty easy to notify of the new number.  Then if you get a GV number and should be able to keep that for a while even if you move.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.