News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie Setup Help OBI202

Started by vich, January 07, 2013, 11:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vich

Your not heckling me so no worries there.

I have a 4 port analog line.  I've set up 4 SP1-SP4 GVoice numbers.

I would like to be on direct SP1 to Line 1, SP2 to Line2, SP3 to Line 3, etc.

Then if I am on line 1 I can put someone on hold and pickup and dial out on line 2

at the same time someone else could be on line 3 and put a customer on hold and call out on line 4, with an additional phone of course.

I hope I am not frustrating you.  Not sure how else to explain.

Thanks for your continued interest in helping

Felix

Quote from: vich on January 09, 2013, 04:22:01 PM
I have a 4 port analog line.  I've set up 4 SP1-SP4 GVoice numbers.

I would like to be on direct SP1 to Line 1, SP2 to Line2, SP3 to Line 3, etc.

Then if I am on line SP1 I can put someone on hold and pickup and dial out on line SP2

at the same time someone else could be on line SP3 and put a customer on hold and call out on line SP4, with an additional phone of course.

OK, I struck out information that is irrelevant. You describe two people having simultaneous conversations; hence, you need two handsets (two phones, or two-line phone with two stations - doesn't matter). Everything else you can do "out of the box".

You don't need additional phone to put a person on hold and call out through a different provider. If you are on a call over SP1 (service provider 1), you can put a person on hold and make an outgoing call on another provider (any of the 3 other providers that you set up). You also can have 3-way calling when the second call is an outbound call. To quote admin guide:
On the first Hook-Flash during an active call the OBi can make a second outbound call.
On the second Hook-Flash, the first call and the second outbound call are placed in a conference.
To remove the second conferenced party, invoke a third Hook-Flash.

If you are on a call over SP1, and there is another incoming call - another person can pick up second phone, and have that conversation (or you can use "call waiting" feature of your phone and switch between caller 1 and caller 2). You don't need 4 phones (or 4-line phone) in order to have conversation with 4 people - one person can't have two simultaneous conversations, anyway.

So, as long you expect one or two people on your side, and one to four people on the other side - OBi202 has all the capabilities you need.

By the way, GV allows two calls; so if you have a conversation on SP1, and you put that person on hold and want to make an outgoing call over SP1 as well (maybe to show specific Caller ID) - you can probably do that as well, although I've never tried it.

Ostracus

IP phones are good for simplifying the complexity of having multiple lines. ;)

Felix

Quote from: Ostracus on January 09, 2013, 07:57:59 PM
IP phones are good for simplifying the complexity of having multiple lines. ;)
Absolutely true; but a single IP phone doesn't allow two people having simultaneous conversation. Of course there are IP phones with additional handsets, that would serve the same purpose.

vich

Wow I can't believe how complicated I've made this.  Let me change the scenario

If I have 4 SP voice with GVoice.  Can I get all 4 lines to display on one phone.

I think I have confused this because I am trying to use like a business phone.  I am NOT looking to have something like

SP1 - My Cell Number
SP2 - My Work Number
SP3 - my Home number

I have it set up more like a business with busy roll over where
SP1 is the number I advertise for my business.  If I or someone else is on SP1 (ie. busy) and a call come in it rolls over to SP2, SP2 rolls to 3 and SP3 to 4 and SP4 to voicemail (if the lines are busy).  (I have turned off call waiting for each line to accomplish this.)

SO if I were to put 3 SIPphones on the LAN side could each display alll 4 lines.
AND can I make my 4 line analog phone show all 4 lines through Phone port1 and phone port 2 on the OBITALK202.

Does that make a simpler analogy? 

Sorry it seems  complicated I, I DO appreaciate everyones persistence in helping me.

CoalMinerRetired

> can I make my 4 line analog phone show all 4 lines through Phone port1 and phone port 2 on the OBITALK202.

I believe multiple people havd answered "No" mutliple times to this question. You seem like you are looking for a different answer.

Since the word "show" in the context of your question is somewhat ambiguous, I'll repeat what's been said. Two analog ports from the Obi202 = two analog phone lines.  

You could make all four SP1, SP2, SP3 and SP4 ring through Obi Phone 1 port and therefore Line 1 in your four-line analog phone. It also means Analog Phone Lines 2, 3 and 4 are 'dead' and have no dialtone.  This in my mind does not mean show, it means you have to dial **2 to make an outgoing call on SP2, **3 for SP3, **4 for SP4. Incoming calls all ring on Obi phone port 1, and therfore analog phone 1.  You'd maybe make a differenet ring pattern/cadence for each SPx line to tell which SPx the call is ringing from.

Felix

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on January 10, 2013, 06:32:25 AM
> can I make my 4 line analog phone show all 4 lines through Phone port1 and phone port 2 on the OBITALK202.

I believe multiple people havd answered "No" mutliple times to this question.
I won't say "No"; I would say the question doesn't make sense (or to quote more polite CoalMinerRetired, it's ambiguous).
Again, your post won't make sense to your 70-year old aunt. And it doesn't make sense to me. Sorry, I give up!

MikeHObi

From what I can tell, in a perfect world the OP wants 4 incoming lines with a single DID in a hunt group. (http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/PBX+Hunt+Groups)

What that means is the OP can give out one phone number and have that number ring all 4 phone extensions in a building, skipping those that are busy and only going to VM if all 4 are busy or no one picks up the call on any of them.

The OP wants to be able to put someone talking on line 3 on hold to make an outgoing call on any of the available lines and ideally probably have a blinking light confirm that line has someone on hold.

This is how business phone systems work.  I think you can configure asterisk to do this as well with the right hardware.

The Obi can't do this. (can Obi Plus?)

The obi can bind any single configured service to a POTS port, but you can't bind two services to a port and use wiring to expose them.  So service 1,2,3,or 4 can be bound to port 1 or 2 but no two services can be bound to the same pots port using the physical interface.  You can access the other services logically, but not physically.  Also, Obi doesn't hunt or have a configuration for it.

That's the crux of the issue with using a standard 4 line phone.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

vich

I appreciate eveyone's help.  I haven't ignored the no's but I get a piece of information that makes me think I am not explaining it clearly.

Currenlty I have 4 GV SP's  but can only access them through line 1/2 on the analog phone.

If I could make them all accessible at the same time on obviously several different phones it would solve my problem.

Sorry to belabor and potential be a pain.

I'll drop it at this point unless someone sees something I am missing.

AGAIN, THANKS  :) VERY MUCH for the time and effort.

Ostracus

Well VoIP ms has hunt groups.

As for the OP it may take additional hardware. Maybe another Obi202 for a total of four lines.

You can also look through the ObiPLUS tutorial for hunting and other needed behavior.

vich

I'll read through the hunt groups thoughly and  see if I missed something.  I have it hunting by forwarding to the next line if the current one is busy.
My delima is being able to access all 4 line on one phone set.  I have either not made that clear, and/or I have been told it can't be done, or I am just missing something.

Thanks for the pointer.

MikeHObi

Quote from: vich on January 10, 2013, 08:29:38 AM
I'll read through the hunt groups thoughly and  see if I missed something.  I have it hunting by forwarding to the next line if the current one is busy.
My delima is being able to access all 4 line on one phone set.  I have either not made that clear, and/or I have been told it can't be done, or I am just missing something.

Thanks for the pointer.

To access all 4 lines on your current phone set, you need another obi202 and the wiring merged to allow it.

Alternatively you could get something like Incredible PBX, and then 4 line SIP phone, and it would just work.  You'd need a new phone, and configuration of the PBX.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.