News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

First Time User

Started by huffman, January 08, 2013, 04:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huffman

I received an OBi 110 for Christmas.  It was purchased from Amazon.

I have watched the setup tutorial movie and followed the setup directions:
Connections from OBI device:
1.  Power Cord is connected to a 110 power source.
2.  Phone cord from OBI device to a touch tone phone.
3.  Ethernet cord from OBI device to Router Switch Box which comes from my NetGear Router.

I have made a call from Gmail to a landline number and connected without any problem.
I have obtained a Google Voice phone number.

At this point I think I have all tools needed to setup the OBI device and make and receive phone calls.

Here is the issue:

After connecting all the hardware as stated above, the OBI device has four places for lights.  From left to right, the first and third lights are steady.  The second light flickers occassionally.  The fourth light does not come on.

When I then dial **9-222-222-222 I get a busy signal.  I don't believe this is correct.  What should I hear?

Until I get this resolved, I am stuck.

I would appreciate any help I can get.  Thank you.

ianobi

The lights look ok. The fourth light only comes on if you connect a PSTN line to the OBi110. You do not need this for the OBi110 to work.

Dialling **9 222 222 222 should get you to a male voice explaining how the echo test works.

If you log in at obitalk.com can you see your OBi Dashboard? If so, then what status does it show for your device - green or orange?

Have you registered your device using the **5 method? Have you added your device from the OBi Dashboard menu "Add Device"?

huffman

I suspect my router is blocking the port(s) I need to connect the OBI device.

Do you have any idea what port(s) need to be open so the OBI can connect to the Echo server?

I have NOT registered my OBI and don't know what the **5 method is.

On the OBi Dashboard there is NO device listed.

huffman

BTW for your information.  I tried to send a support request to OBI and it times out before the request is sent.  This seems to be very popular with OBI.  I have called their support line before and they really DO NOT like answering any questions about their products.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: huffman on January 08, 2013, 02:19:36 PM
I suspect my router is blocking the port(s) I need to connect the OBI device.
You can temporarily try connecting the Obi directly into a cable modem, in place of your router. That will eliminate the router and any blocked ports from the troubleshooting path.

Quote from: huffman on January 08, 2013, 02:26:20 PM
BTW for your information.  I tried to send a support request to OBI and it times out before the request is sent.  This seems to be very popular with OBI.  I have called their support line before and they really DO NOT like answering any questions about their products.
Based on my own experience, I have to disagree. They are pretty prompt to follow up.

huffman

CoalMinerRetired

I agree about Obi responses.  Although the message timed out before it indicated it has been sent, they did receive it and I got a response very quickly.

I stand by what I said about phoning technical help at Obi.  They ran me in circles for at least and hour and I never got any help the phone call.

I may give "connecting directly to the modem a try.  I am still playing with getting ports open in my router.  I now have the ports that need to be open.   ;) Now all I have to do is figure out how to open the ports in my router.

Thanks again for the response.

huffman

:( This is still driving me bonkers.

I went into my router and opened all the ports that OBI said I needed.  I even called my router support and confirmed I had done it correctly.

I am still NOT able to connect to the Echo Server (pardon my Frech but DAMN).

BTW how do I put an image in these posts??

I know have done that before but now I don't see where I can.

One more question (having a memory lapse) I was able to send a question to OBI somehow  but NOW I don't remember how I did it.  Can someone tell me how to do this.

Thanks for help and at least listening to my complaints.

Rick

Go to www.obihai.com, click on Support, and click on the Support Request in the left menu.

Did you try to remove the router from the equation, as advised by CoalMinerRetired?

huffman

Rick

Thanks for the support info.  I went there and send another message which timed out but it indicated it was sent.  Grrrr that was 24 hours ago and I have NOT received any reply from OBI.  I still wonder if it was sent.

QuoteDid you try to remove the router from the equation, as advised by CoalMinerRetired?

I have NOT tried this yet.  As I think about it, if I do connect directly to my modem what am I connecting to?  I know OBI 110 says it is a router, but will I also be able to connect to the internet or even run Windows?

Rick

Quote from: huffman on January 11, 2013, 03:28:14 AM
Rick

Thanks for the support info.  I went there and send another message which timed out but it indicated it was sent.  Grrrr that was 24 hours ago and I have NOT received any reply from OBI.  I still wonder if it was sent.

QuoteDid you try to remove the router from the equation, as advised by CoalMinerRetired?

I have NOT tried this yet.  As I think about it, if I do connect directly to my modem what am I connecting to?  I know OBI 110 says it is a router, but will I also be able to connect to the internet or even run Windows?

The 110 is not a router.  Connect it directly to the modem already and see if it works.  You try things and eliminate them.  That's how technology problems are solved.  Why are you waiting?

huffman

OK I looked at my modem and there is only one ethernet connection.  There for I don't think it is possible to bypass my router.

Rick

Quote from: huffman on January 11, 2013, 06:47:45 AM
OK I looked at my modem and there is only one ethernet connection.  There for I don't think it is possible to bypass my router.

Unplug router.  Plug in OBi.  Couldn't be simpler.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Rick on January 11, 2013, 06:49:45 AM

i.e.,
Quotetemporarily try connecting the Obi directly into a cable modem, in place of your router. That will eliminate the router and any blocked ports from the troubleshooting path.

Felix

Quote from: Rick on January 11, 2013, 06:49:45 AM

probably, turn off the modem. wait 10-15 seconds. turn on the modem. (Cable modems tend to cache MAC of the client, and if you changed router to OBi, you may not get IP address. If previous sentence sounds like gibberish - don't worry. Just turn off/on the modem)

I haven't seen a router that "is blocking the port(s) I need to connect the OBI device". So, operation above is pointless. But it's easy to do to eliminate the variables.

Device came with a quick start guide that describes all these steps. If you lost it, there is a soft copy on the website