News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Questions before purchase - please help

Started by Brian321, January 10, 2013, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian321

My wife is from Romania.  We live in the USA.  My wife's daughter and my wife's parents live in two separate households in Romania.  Her daughter has Internet service, but her parents do not.  Both of them have landline phones.

From what I've read so far about the Obi110, it is possible to install one at her daughter's house, connect it to both the Internet and the landline phone, and use it to call local phones over the POTS from another Obi device, or from a smartphone running the ObiON app.  

Also, it looks like we can get another Obi110 and install it here in our house in the USA.  That will allow her daughter to call us for free too.

That part is cool.  There are a couple of things I don't know if it will do though...

First, if we call on our Obi110 in the USA to her daughter's Obi110 in Romania... how can we control whether it rings the phone attached to the Obi110 in her daughter's house, or will allow us to call out on the POTS line at her daughter's house?  Will we be greeted by some type of automated attendant that will ask us if we want to ring the phone or use the POTS line?  How can this be controlled so that ONLY our Obi110 device has this ability?

Second, if my wife's mother (she ONLY has a landline phone), who also lives in Romania but does not live in the same household as the daughter (where the Obi110 will be located in Romania), wants to call us... can she do that by calling the daughter's landline phone number, and then using the Obi110 at the daughter's house to call our Obi110?  Will she also be greeted by an automated attendant with the option of ringing the daughter's phone or calling our Obi110 in the USA?  Can this be controlled so that other callers who call the landline phone will not be able to use our Obi devices (and also prevents them from using the daughter's landline phone)?

Also, can the automated attendant for one of the Obi110 devices have a language of Romanian?  If not Romanian, how about Italian?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brian

ianobi

I think you will like the replies to your questions  :)

First: Yes, there is an auto attendant in each OBi. For other OBi numbers to gain access to it they have to be in the "Circle of Trust" for that OBi. If your OBi number is in your daughter's CoT, then you will be greeted by "press 1 to continue this call" (rings daughter's phone), "press 2 to make a new call" (call wife's parents etc), "press 3 ..."

Second: Yes, same sort of thing. Wife's parents number would be put in a "Trusted Callers" group to gain access to the auto attendant.

Language: Yes, you can record your own prompts for the auto attendant. This takes some time and research.

A lot of the above can be automated by clever DigitMaps to not need the auto attendant, but that's a big subject!

CoalMinerRetired

> Also, can the automated attendant for one of the Obi110 devices have a language of Romanian?  If not Romanian, how about Italian?

For this I'd suggest simply record the same prompt in two languages, like some big companies do. Such as "Hello, you have reached Verizon, Hola, has llegado a Verizon,." http://goo.gl/gnqd7.

Brian321

Wow, so as long as my wife's daughter has Caller ID, and the CID number shows up on her home phone when my wife's mother calls... then I can add her mother to the trusted numbers list, and her mother will get a voice prompt for how to proceed.  Very cool.  I'll have to find out if the CID number appears on her daughter's phone when my wife's mother calls my wife's daughter.  

I've read about the "digit maps" as you put it.  I haven't delved into how to configure that yet, but it looks interesting.  As for recording the voice menus... I'm sure we can figure that out.  I didn't know that was even a possibility.  I'll research that.  My wife speaks Romanian and English (and Hungarian and a little bit of a few other languages... she's very handy to have around when we are in South Florida!).  She could make the recordings.... no problem.

This whole technology looks amazing.  There seem to be endless possibilities.  Connecting two of these devices on different continents could give people at both ends local calling on both continents!  This seems to be what I've always hoped for.  It would allow my wife to call anyone in Romania for free, and they could call anyone in the US too.  It might even be worth getting a 2nd land line at my step-daughter's apartment... heck, I might even be able to get the family to share the cost of the extra land line!

Brian321

Oh... one more question...

If someone who is NOT on the list of trusted callers calls my step-daughter's land line number, will the attached phone just ring without the auto-attendant interfering?  I wouldn't want most callers to be confused by the automated attendant.

Thanks again.

ianobi

Looks like you are heading towards your own world-wide network of OBi's  :D

If numbers are not in the "Trusted Callers" group or there is no Caller ID, then the default DigitMap sends them straight to the attached phone. They cannot get access to the auto attendant.

Brian321

More questions:

1) What happens if my wife tries to place a call from our OBi (or the app on her smartphone), and she wants to use the POTS line at my step-daughter's house in Romania... but my step-daughter is already on the phone (using the POTS line)?  Does the OBi at the step-daughter's house tell my wife that the line is in use?

2) Can the smartphone app be linked to BOTH OBi devices simultaneously?  Is there a way to choose, inside the app, which OBi to use when placing a call?  The reason I ask is... if we are traveling outside the USA, it would be nice to be able to choose to use the OBi in either country.  This would allow us to simply walk into any place that has a WiFi hotspot, and use the phone for free!

3) Let's say that my wife's mother calls my wife's daughter's land line, and she uses the OBi to place a call to us here in the USA.  So, now my step-daughter's land line is busy.  How does my step-daughter know that her phone line is already in use?  I assume that one of the lights on the OBi will indicate this.  But, if she doesn't see the lights on the OBi... What happens when she picks up the phone in her apartment?  Does she just get a dead line?  Does she hear the on-going conversation?  Or does the auto-attendant tell her that the line is in use?  Can she join the conversation so that she can either talk with both of them or ask them to get off the phone so she can use it?

ianobi

1. The OBi at daughter's house will tell your wife "There is no service available to complete your call".

2. If you have the login details of both OBi's, then you can log in to either one, but only one at a time. Only one OBiON app can be logged in at a time to one OBi. I'm not sure why you would want this as from a wifi hot spot you can log into your USA OBi and dial through that device or from the USA device onto your daughter's OBi and use that device. One word of caution – there has been some dissatisfaction expressed on this forum about the OBiON app for smartphones. Have a search around on this forum.

3. The line port light will go from steady to a slow flash. When your daughter picks up the phone she will get OBi dial tone as the OBi does not know which service she wishes to dial out on. Attempting to dial out on the busy landline should get her a fast busy or the "no service" message". There is a "barge-in" facility set up with a Star Code *96.

I tried the question 3 scenario on my setup and got an error message "No service configured error ...". My setup is quite complex using trunk groups etc, so it might be a glitch caused by that. More testing required by me and then maybe a word with Obihai!

Brian321

Thank you for your answers.  I plan to buy the devices and have them shipped to me in the USA.  I'd like to get them configured before shipping one of them to Romania.  Of course, that means that I'll need to (temporarily) get a land line for configuring/testing the OBi that will be shipped to Romania.  We don't have a home phone right now... everyone in the family (here in the US) has a mobile phone.

Will they both work connected to the same router (with only one public IP)?  From what I've read, it sounds like I'll need to forward port 5060 to the OBi.  Can I use different port numbers forwarded to each OBi on the same router?

If possible, it sounds like a good idea to use unusual port numbers due to SIP scanners.  Is there a place in the obitalk website to configure the port number of each device?

I assume that I'll need to setup two accounts on obitalk.com, and link one OBi to each account?

ianobi

Obihai recommended ports to open:
http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html#ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

I would do any configuring via the ObiTalk Portal -  Expert Pages Configuration. This allows a simple way to do remote configuring.

Each Service Provider (sp) has a UserAgentPort. Default for OBi110 is sp1 = 5060, sp2= 5061. To avoid scanners I use more obscure ports in the range 5466 to 5499. This may not be a problem for you as you have not spoken about setting up any Service Providers. So far, what you wish to achieve can be done using the OBiTALK network and landlines. I assume that you will put Google Voice on the USA OBi at some point for free North American calls. This setting controls UserAgentPort (sp2 used as example):
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5061

There is no problem setting up two OBi devices behind one router. To avoid any confusion, I would give each sp a unique UserAgentPort. Maybe use 5470 and 5471 on first OBi; 5472 and 5473 on second OBi. Port forward those ports if you intend to use those Service Providers.

It may be of interest that one of my landlines is in fact an Xlink BTNN. This allows mobile phones to be used as landlines. The OBi110 sees it as a normal landline. You might want to consider using an OBi202 with Blue Tooth adapter at the USA end.

It is possible to add more than one OBi device to one account. However, you will find it easier to set them up using two separate accounts.

Brian321

I plan to use the ObiTalk portal.  I've read that configurations can also be done locally on the device webpage, but I'll need to remotely manage the device that will eventually be shipped to Romania. 

Something I wonder though... if ObiHai ever ceases to exist, will we be able to continue to use our devices by using the device webpage for configuration?  The reason I ask is because I was an early-adopter of VoIP back in 1999-2000.  I bought a device from Net2Phone back then because my (now ex) wife ran up phone bills of $300-400 every month.  I disabled long distance on our POTS line, and connected the Net2Phone device to the Line2 wiring in the house.  Then, we used 2-line phones with Line1 being local, and Line2 being long distance.  It worked fine for about 6 months, until call quality started to become a big issue because Net2Phone over-sold the service and couldn't handle the traffic.  Around that time, my telco started offering unlimited calling plans, so I switched back to the telco for long distance.  I don't know if Net2Phone even exists anymore.

My router currently allows all outbound connections, so I shouldn't need to worry about the outbound port assignments.  So, now that I see that 5060 and 5061 are "outbound" ports (according to the link you posted), I'm wondering how a port scanner can scan them.  I must be missing something here.  I'd appreciate it if you can explain this.  I do understand basic networking, and know how to forward ports and some more complex stuff... my router is running DD-WRT and I have written some custom scripts and configurations to allow me to do a bunch of stuff, like in-bound WOL and to automate some tasks on my home network (like waking my HTPC when one of the other devices on my network tries to access it).

But, I guess I'm just not understanding how a port scanner on the Internet can scan an "outbound" port.

I usually use ports in the range 50000-65535 for port forwarding to get away from well-known services and avoid conflicts.  Would something like 55060,55061,55062,55063 cause a problem for the OBi?

I'll need a land line for testing and setup of the Obi that will be shipped to Romania, but I don't think I would want to have a land line at home on a permanent basis, and I don't see much point in the Bluetooth adapter.  I read that the Obi202 could do that (and it's a cool feature), but I don't see a need to use my mobile phones as a line for the Obi.  My mobile phone is always within arms reach and I get great reception everywhere in the house.  I anticipate using a cordless phone with the Obi for convenience, and I'll probably locate the OBi and the phone on the rack where my HTPC and other equipment are located as there's an Ethernet switch there that I can easily plug it into.  I could hook it up to the phone wiring in the house if needed.  I wired the house with phone and data jacks in every room, but the phone lines are currently unused.

The only reason I would buy two Obi110's vs one Obi100 (for my house) and one Obi110 (for the house in Romania) is because there is only a $10 difference in price, and I think it's worth the extra $ for the chance that I may have a land line (or a VOIP line through my cableco, which is MUCH cheaper than a land line) at some point in the future.

I will most likely setup Google Voice on the OBi110 that will be located in USA.  As long as it's free, why not?  Using GV at this end will give my wife's family the ability to call anywhere in the USA for free, and will allow me to make business calls using GV instead of using my mobile minutes if I ever get close to exceeding my mobile minutes.

ianobi

If Obihai cease to exist see this:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.msg15851#msg15851

You probably know more about nat traversal than me  ;)   The point about the UserAgentPorts is that your OBi device sends registration messages to service providers saying "I am listening on port 5xxx". When a call is sent from the service provider the signalling is sent to that port. So that's a two way port use. I don't think the Obihai faq explains it well. The OBiTALK network uses port 10000 for its signalling.

The scanners are simply trying millions of IP addresses, port 5060 and maybe other "normal" SIP ports. SIP ports need to be open for you to receive incoming SIP signalling. Google Voice does not use SIP protocol, so this may not be an issue for you. I believe that you can uses any port number as your "SIP listening port" so long as it's not in use for something else on your network.

I think it's fair to say that you have done thorough research before buying  :D

Good luck. I'm sure that we can expect more questions when it comes to setting up your OBi110s    :)

Felix

Brian,
ianobi answered most of the questions with more detail than I ever could; so my additions are somewhat philosophical :)
You ask several times "what happens..." I would turn the question around and ask "what would you want to happen"? It might be the default choice, or maybe not - but given the reasonableness of your expectations, I am pretty sure it can be set up.

I have several VoIP endpoints (occasionally, 2 OBi adapters; more often IP phone, adapter, and PBX server). I never had a need to open any port on the firewall.

I administer an adapter in Israel with custom prompts. Worked perfectly. I say worked because with Caller ID and "single stage dialing" I found auto-attendant not necessary. Plus people hated my voice on the prompts :)